Author Topic: OlliOlli is awesome  (Read 1222 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
OlliOlli is awesome
« on: Thursday, October 30, 2014, 06:51:33 PM »
I picked this up in the latest Humble Bundle and its awesome. Its like Tony Hawk meets Hotline Miami or something. 2D side scrolling skateboarding game where you try to get the highest score you can on any particular course. Screw up? Instant reset and try it again! Also some good music.

The hardest part is getting used to the controls. Not that they are bad, it is just unconventional and unlike just about every other game. While skating along holding the analog stick in a direction will prep you to olli (or kickflip or whatever depending on the direction you hold). Releasing the stick will actually cause you to jump and do the move. See that railing? Hold a direction and grind it! Again, different directions do different grinds. You can also do quarter circle, half circle, etc moves with the stick to pull off even more moves. And then when you finally need to land you have to hit the A button just before you land. Getting used to the timing on that is tricky. Took me a good while to work that out.

But hold out and keep practicing it and eventually it just clicks and you're pulling insane combos, timing your grinds and landing perfectly and getting insane scores! Yeah! Nailing landings and doing perfect grinds will allow you to keep your speed up, which gets pretty important in the later courses. Each course has several sub-goals to hit. Getting them all unlocks the Pro course. Then theres like a score mode and if you are playing the Steam version there are daily challenges where you can practice on a course as much as you want, but then you do it for real and only get one shot to get the highest score you can.

Its in the lowest tier in the bundle so you can get it super cheap with some other games. Also on Vita and PS4 I think (not sure about PS3). Check it out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: OlliOlli is awesome
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 30, 2014, 11:59:30 PM »
I am really mad that I didn't get this for Vita when it was free for PS plus.  I didn't have a Vita at the time, but didn't know about the whole "log onto the sony store website and "purchase" the games anyways even if you don't own the console thing at the time either.  Damn it.