Author Topic: Judge Dredd  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Judge Dredd
« on: Monday, December 01, 2014, 01:49:41 AM »
Since we were talking about Pacific Rim (a film that was good but didn't make money) I thought about Judge Dredd. I don't know if we've talked about this remake here but it was a very good film I thought that achieved exactly what it had set out to do. It is a little old now but I thought it was awesome.

It really flopped at the box office though, which I was really surprised by.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Judge Dredd
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 01, 2014, 05:57:04 AM »
I saw Dredd the other night and it was pretty awesome. I think the most interesting thing about it was how lean it was. There was very little in the movie that didn't serve the immediate story and it manages to make a little dialog go a long way. It also did a great job of making Dredd and his partner cool characters that walked the line between hard ass future cops and actual people. It's totally something, to me, that ranks up there with action movies that aren't just fun but actually good.

Dredd was, I don't know, claustrophobic?  I liked it well enough, I guess.  I'm one of the 3 people who actually liked the original with Stallone.  I wanted to see a grand setting like that here, and got a shuttered building instead.

That was my initial reaction too! I still enjoyed it though.

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well. I kind of liked how it was set in the future but the tech (guns, etc.) looked modern and not cartoonish like in the Stallone movie.

I think that's the extent of our previous conversation about it.  I still feel pretty much the same way.  And now, after a little more time has passed, I remember the Stallone movie better than the remake, which says a lot.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 01, 2014, 09:56:24 AM »
The remake is simply called Dredd.  I liked it, and I agree with what both sirean and Cobra said originally.  I like the original Judge Dredd too.  Very campy, but fun.  Plus Stallone.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »
I watched this the other night and liked it.  I get that it was very limited in scope, focusing on the events going on just in that building, but that was kind of the appeal for me.  Rather than being a save the world sort of scenario it came across as just another day in the life of a Judge, which I thought was cool.