Author Topic: Telltale Games  (Read 7626 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Telltale Games
« on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 02:03:43 PM »
I just started playing Tales From The Borderlands and I was about start a thread specifically for it but I figured it may as well be a Telltale Games thread; we're bound to discuss them all in here :)

I've just finished Episode 1 of Tales From The Borderlands and it was awesome. The game is very much in the vein of The Walking Dead, A Wolf Among Us, and Game of Thrones but it's on a new level with its humour, quirks, and its story. It's a lot like a heist film filled with fast quips, satire, with a dash of "whodunit."

Episode 2 is out now and it's well worth checking out. The full season is available with a discount 20% off ($18.74) on various outlets (Steam and non-Steam versions).

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Telltale Games
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 07:01:38 PM »
Yea I want to get those, I've always enjoyed Borderlands universe stuff.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 04:07:45 AM »
I played through the demo for E1, but I just can't get into this kind of game.  I'd love to watch someone else's playthrough as a movie, which is mostly what I think the Telltale games are.  All story, not much game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »
Yeah, Telltale Games are now more-or-less interactive storytelling experiences rather than traditional "games."

I just finished Episode 2 of Tales From The Borderlands and it was quite entertaining. Gotta say, I loved the episode intro; the style, the track, it was just.. Just check it out:

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 10:21:55 PM »
Honestly, I have zero interest in the Borderlands game.  Fuck, even Walking Dead Season 2 seemed like a chore to me at the end - although my girlfriend loved it.  A lot of that, however, may be how I kind of think Walking Dead in general is just really really repetitive at this point.

I will say, though, that Fables completely had me in it's grasp.  I hadn't read comics in years and bought a couple of graphic novels on a whim (which I think I then gave to Que) before never thinking about the series again, but the game just dragged me right in.  I loved the characters and what they did, and IP aside, loved the plot and the way TellTale handled the gameplay this time (QTEs actually being fun). Should there be another season, I'm in for sure.

One thing I noticed while playing Life is Strange, however, is how much more Telltale could do with the IPs they have. Life is strange really did a lot better of a job with the formula and I hope it drives Telltale in the future.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 05:44:52 AM »
I played through the demo for E1, but I just can't get into this kind of game.  I'd love to watch someone else's playthrough as a movie, which is mostly what I think the Telltale games are.  All story, not much game.

Telltale's "adventure games" are more like interactive + cinematic versions of them old-school "choose your own adventure" books + novels.

If you're okay w/ that - which I am, b/c I don't need every game to be a damn typical game and I actually do need a break from playing what most people see as a typical "game" - maybe then, one might be able to give Telltale's newer style of "games" a chance.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 28, 2015, 05:16:58 PM »
Just finished Game Of Thrones: Episode 1. If you're a fan of the HBO show and you like the way TellTale does things w/ their interactive story/movie/novel/game/whatever you want to call it - I'm sure you'll really dig it. Just, make sure you've boned-up on your GOT knowledge b/c it takes place in the midst of one of the show's TV seasons and just throws you right into the fray, hoping you're a fan of the TV show.

(click to show/hide)

With taking the things that come w/ a TellTale game with gripping moments; plot twists; excellent story-telling + voice-acting (with some voice-overs from characters on the show); and decisions that will shape the actual journey of the game  - looks like TellTale has done it again.

If you don't like Telltale's stuff - I don't think this game will change your mind on their type of games.

If you do like TellTale's stuff & like GOT...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 28, 2015, 05:53:41 PM »
Telltale's "adventure games" are more like interactive + cinematic versions of them old-school "choose your own adventure" books + novels.

If you're okay w/ that - which I am, b/c I don't need every game to be a damn typical game and I actually do need a break from playing what most people see as a typical "game" - maybe then, one might be able to give Telltale's newer style of "games" a chance.

I actually don't mind the focus on story and dialogue, even though your choices seem like they don't matter as much as I'd like. I like the calm wandering around the nevironment and talking to people. What bothers me is the QTEs and action sequences, at least in the first season of The Walking Dead. It's really a shame, because I like the characters and story, and love the IP.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 28, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »

I actually don't mind the focus on story and dialogue, even though your choices seem like they don't matter as much as I'd like. I like the calm wandering around the nevironment and talking to people. What bothers me is the QTEs and action sequences, at least in the first season of The Walking Dead. It's really a shame, because I like the characters and story, and love the IP.

I don't mind the focus on story + dialogue, as well. Especially since the storytelling, writing, characters, voice-acting and license-usage in their games (when using others' properties) are usually ranging from very good to excellent. Plus, I don't need every game to be very game-y, if you know what I mean. It's nice to play something like this, as a change of pace.

I never really had much problems w/ the QTE's and action sequences in their games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 03:05:52 PM »
Very bad news on Telltale - they're going to be closing:
https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/21/telltale-games-layoffs-the-walking-dead/

Telltale is closing its doors after TWD: Final Season ends eventually.
225-250 employees have been laid off without severance.
They right now have only 25 employees left there now.
The Stranger Things game and The Wolf Among Us 2 have been cancelled.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 07:00:41 AM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 21, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »
Its a shame. I havent played all their stuff but I enjoyed what I did play.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 06:43:56 AM »
Crazy article here from March 2018 - about the toxic management, culture, and whatnot at Telltale; this was when they laid off 90 employees earlier this year:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry

Article here that TWD: Final Season might actually not get finished:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/09/22/telltales-surprise-closure-means-the-walking-dead-season-4-may-never-end-up-finished/#7d4219115395

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 07:00:01 AM »
YongYea on Telltale's upcoming closure:

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, September 23, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »
Damn shame. I hope the people laid off find jobs quickly.

I was looking forward to The Wolf Among Us season 2.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 24, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »
"Multiple potential partners" have come forward and are trying to save TWD: Final Season to try and get its last 2 episodes done in "some form":
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-season-of-telltales-the-walking-dead-might-c/1100-6462007/

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »
Class action lawsuit coming from former Telltale Employee on behalf of himself & laid-off employees against Telltale for breaking labor laws:
https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/25/17901106/telltale-layoffs-lawsuit-warn-act

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 03:39:14 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 06:30:37 PM »
The Walking Dead: Final Season has been pulled from being sold on Steam...at least temporarily.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »
Telltale news:
https://kotaku.com/telltale-is-looking-for-another-company-to-hire-its-sta-1829503254

- Telltale is looking to out-source the final 2 episodes of TWD: Final Season.
- Whomever they out-source it to for finishing the Season up, Telltale wants ex-Telltale employees hired to finish the episodes up.
- Episode 3 has basically been done, but needs to be polished for it to be "ready to go."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, October 07, 2018, 06:03:35 AM »
PC Gamer - Skybound Games is going to finish up TWD: Final Season:
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-walking-dead-the-final-season-will-be-finished-by-skybound-games/

Things to note:
- Skybound is Robert Kirkman's game company.
- Kirkman is The Walking Dead comic book's creator.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Friday, December 21, 2018, 10:48:06 AM »
The Walking Dead: The Final Season (game) news:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/12/21/the-walking-dead-the-final-season-epic-game-sstore-exclusive/

-- New buyers only, it's exclusive to the Epic Game Store.
-- Owners of the TWD: FS - Season Pass on Steam and other PC services: you'll still get the rest in updates.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Friday, December 21, 2018, 04:26:15 PM »
Huh, thats kind of weird but ok I guess.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »
Telltale's games are getting delisted from GOG on May 27th:
https://www.pcgamer.com/all-telltale-games-on-gog-are-being-delisted/

This is probably going to happen over on Steam also.
Tales from the Borderlands has been already pulled from Steam.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, August 28, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »
LCG acquires TellTale and is trying to bring back some of their IP's/licenses & games, employees, and create new ones:
https://www.gamesradar.com/telltale-games-has-been-acquired-by-a-new-company-so-series-like-the-wolf-among-us-could-return/

- LCG will offer some freelance work to previous TellTale employees
- LCG wants to bring back old TellTale licenses, games, and re-release them.
- LCG wants to even create sequels to some TellTale games.
- LCG holds the license & rights for The Wolf Among Us and Batman; and TellTale's own IP of Puzzle Agent.
- Stranger Things is held by Netflix, not LCG.
- Walking Dead is owned by Skybound, not LCG.
- It's unknown right now who holds rights & licenses for TellTale's Game of Thrones, Borderlands, Guardians of the Galaxy, and MineCraft games (which are based off IP's owned by other companies).