Author Topic: VPNs  (Read 3221 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
VPNs
« on: Monday, April 06, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »
Does anyone here use a VPN?  I bought a subscription to Private Internet Access in order to torrent and, more importantly, get around region locks.  I don't really know how the whole thing works though and am wondering what the best way to go about it would be.  I have a client which I can connect both my desktop and laptop to the VPN but is there a simple way to hide the entire network behind the VPN?  It'd be helpful to get around regional locks on the Apple TV and PS3 (I don't think this works for Chromecast, however as the DNS is hard coded).

Worst case scenario I can just connect the laptop with an HDMI for American content but really using either the Apple TV or PS3 would be more convenient (without having to change the DNS settings every two weeks)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: VPNs
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 06, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »
Well, some of the more advanced router firmwares might (but probably do not) support connecting to a third party VPN.  I've read about people setting up Linux boxes as routers, having them connect to the VPN, and then set up an internal firewall that only allows traffic from the Linux router out to the Internet (to prevent you accidentally using your regular Internet connection).  Then you use that Linux box as your internal network's gateway.

I have never tried this myself, but it should be do-able.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: VPNs
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2015, 08:51:22 AM »
I use ExpressVPN frequently but usually to connect a specific PC or device. It's not free though.

ExpressVPN has apps for Android and iOS to help smooth the connectivity. If you're using Chromecast you can load the content on your phone then cast it to Chromecast, assuming the video app you're using supports it.

I think they have a router settings option but I haven't looked into it. Check it out, and if you want to go for it here's my referral link, so we'll each get a free month out of it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 07, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »
Anyone ever use proXPN? I've heard that one advertised before.