Author Topic: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided -> MD sequel might still in the works... (Reply 47)  (Read 10061 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
« Reply #40 on: Friday, September 02, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »
So arrogant and irritating, and so right.  Good thing I'm lukewarm on the DX franchise.  I can wait for a price drop.  It doesn't seem right to be paying full price for this.

I'm just going to chime in here with this - no matter how on point Jim Sterling may be in a video, I can never bring myself to watch him.  Just to arrogant and irritating, as you say.  I find everything about the guy hard to stomach

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, September 04, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
I'm just going to chime in here with this - no matter how on point Jim Sterling may be in a video, I can never bring myself to watch him.  Just to arrogant and irritating, as you say.  I find everything about the guy hard to stomach

Then I hope my summation of the points + insights he got from an Anonymous source at Eidos Montreal made it very easy to flat-out avoid watching his video for you. :)
Personally, I like Sterling's blunt & abrasive persona - but, I can see why some people certainly don't.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, September 04, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
In some instances, I find him cathartic.  I wish I had the popular venue and the balls to call these pricks out in offensive, colorful language.  And "fuckery".  If that isn't in the dictionary already, it needs to get there.  Awesome word.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, September 04, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »
I can't stand Jim Sterling, or the legion of his followers who worship him (these probably more than the man himself, in fact). He's also not an especially good writer, or at least not a careful one. His articles are often super messy, typos everywhere. I avoid him like the plague in general, though I respect him to a degree. He does sometimes have worthwhile commentary even if I hate his attitude, and he's certainly no fool. Been around long enough to be a certified industry vet.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2017, 04:55:06 AM »
Finished up DX: MD PC last night.

My Review over on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mysterd/recommended/337000/

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
Eurogamer - Deus Ex franchise is rumored to be going on "hiatus", due to sales not being what they (Square) were expecting (i.e. they weren't high enough, to suit them).

Maybe if Square didn't kick the game out the door to the point that Eidos Montreal were in such a poor position w/ unfinished storylines + threads dangling + cliffhangers galore & they (Square) didn't have them (Eidos) tackle on bullcrap like Breach, we wouldn't be in this damn situation.

Ugh. This sucks.

Would be nice if this all these dangling threads got wrapped-up in some DLC's...or something.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided -> Update: Franchise to go on "hiatus" (Reply 46)
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »
I think the market has changed for the worse.  Maybe it's oversaturation of AAA games, or some sort of fatigue.  Several games expected to do well failed to meet those expectations, or were outright flops.  I have a feeling we're going to see less of the kind of stuff you and I like, and more online shootfests.  I don't know.  I'm not optimistic.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
I personally have never been interested in this series and they've never done anything to get me in. I know that's anathema to a lot of people, especially old-school PC gamers like myself, but I got super bored with the first one each of the 3 times I tried to play it. Just never got very far. None of the other entries ever felt like a good place to jump in, really, so I just sort of stayed out forever.

Part of my issue with these games is I've never really understood what they were about. Not really. All the stuff I'd see or read felt kind of vague and cryptic. Whatever they were doing for marketing, it wasn't very good, and that's a problem I see pretty frequently lately. I feel like too many AAA franchises are relying on names and either not making the interesting stuff the game is doing known, or the game in question just isn't actually doing anything interesting to begin with. Too much marketing is thrown at the names and not at anything substantive. I'm more interested in seeing something original, and AAA consistently delivers the least of that these days, it seems. I'm almost less inclined to look at a game if it's a franchise deal, to be honest.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »
I really liked the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution.  I recall playing a bit of Invisible War but it was one of those games that did not play well on the PC as it was designed for the console.  I am interested in trying Mankind Divided but reviews for the game were mixed, if I recall.  To be honest, I was surprised to hear that since they could have recycled Human Revolution in a new setting and advanced the plot line and it should have worked brilliantly.  Not sure where they went wrong.  When the price of the latest game goes down, I will pick it up and give it a shot.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, February 02, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »
I really liked the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution.  I recall playing a bit of Invisible War but it was one of those games that did not play well on the PC as it was designed for the console.  I am interested in trying Mankind Divided but reviews for the game were mixed, if I recall.  To be honest, I was surprised to hear that since they could have recycled Human Revolution in a new setting and advanced the plot line and it should have worked brilliantly.  Not sure where they went wrong.  When the price of the latest game goes down, I will pick it up and give it a shot.

Mankind Divided is great, gameplay-wise - but the problem is the game feels like it's missing an Entire Chapter, Act, and/or Game.

Seriously, at the end...
(click to show/hide)

For the most part, Mankind Divided only takes place in Prague. There's also Aug City, but you really ain't there too long.

In most DX games, you likely travel to a few major hub areas per game.
DX1 is in NYC, Hong Kong, and Paris.
DX:IW is in mainly Seattle, Cairo (Egypt), Trier, Antartica, and Lib Island - though none of these places were really super-big.
DX: HR has Detroit + Hengsha (China).
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 02, 2017, 08:05:25 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, February 02, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »
I personally have never been interested in this series and they've never done anything to get me in. I know that's anathema to a lot of people, especially old-school PC gamers like myself, but I got super bored with the first one each of the 3 times I tried to play it. Just never got very far. None of the other entries ever felt like a good place to jump in, really, so I just sort of stayed out forever.

Part of my issue with these games is I've never really understood what they were about. Not really. All the stuff I'd see or read felt kind of vague and cryptic. Whatever they were doing for marketing, it wasn't very good, and that's a problem I see pretty frequently lately. I feel like too many AAA franchises are relying on names and either not making the interesting stuff the game is doing known, or the game in question just isn't actually doing anything interesting to begin with. Too much marketing is thrown at the names and not at anything substantive. I'm more interested in seeing something original, and AAA consistently delivers the least of that these days, it seems. I'm almost less inclined to look at a game if it's a franchise deal, to be honest.

Deus Ex series is a sci-fi / cyberpunk setting-based game.

Basically, it's usually about the Illuminati pulling off conspiracies. They are manipulating, setting-up, and controlling certain (horrible) events to gain more powerful so that they can control the world + those who inhabit it.

Usually, the character you play as is, at some point, to find out that they exist + must go up against them.

Gameplay-wise, Deus Ex series is a hybrid of a bunch of games. It's basically a FPS/RPG/Stealth/Action game hybrid.

You often can tackle one area numerous different ways, based on what skills, equipment, or whatever you have at your disposal.

For example - you could go guns blazing, through the front door, in one area. Or, you can sneak in through the vents + ducts. Or maybe, you can use a tool to hack the door open.
Once inside - maybe, you can stealth your way around, kill everyone, and not be seen. Or maybe, you can use non-lethal weapons and just knock everyone out + leave.
Or, maybe you can hack security systems, turn camera off, turn robots + guns on enemies, and let the area do the work for you.
Or, maybe you can mix + match a bunch of these styles.

Sometimes, you'll be given choices - and you have to make a decision w/ siding w/ a certain person, faction, or whatever.
Or you'll be given a choice - and a branching path can have 2 different results, at least; sometimes there's more.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god