Author Topic: I learned to ride a motorcycle!  (Read 5538 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
I learned to ride a motorcycle!
« on: Monday, July 13, 2015, 06:58:28 AM »
So, I've been going through something of a midlife crisis.  I've been looking into skydiving.  I'm looking to trade in my sensible, 4-door, good-on-gas, paid off Ford Fusion for a Mustang GT or Shelby Mustang GT350.  I also signed up for a motorcycle class.

The class took place this past weekend.  It was three days, five hours per day with a state-sponsored skills test at the end.  I passed.

It was much more challenging than I imagined it would be.  I drive a manual transmission in my car, so I picked up the clutch and gear shifting pretty quickly, but motorcycles are tricky beasts to maneuver, especially in tight spaces and at low speeds.

Pretty much my entire family is like, "WTF are you doing?!"  It is ridiculously dangerous.  But I picture myself cruising along A1A (Beachfront Avenue!) next to the beach and just enjoying the ride.  Maybe picking up some bikini-clad women at the beach.  Hopefully.  Haha!

While I passed the test, I really only learned some basic skills.  I have no confidence in myself driving on city streets or the highway.  Actually it terrifies me!  So I plan on buying some cheap, crappy, used motorcycle and just practicing in small residential communities and big parking lots.

Anyone else here ride or interested in learning?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: I learned to ride a motorcycle!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 13, 2015, 08:07:23 AM »
I've always kinda wanted to learn. I always feel like in a car I don't know how big it is. Where are the bumpers? How close am I to that thing? But a motorcycle seems like all that would be readily apparent, so yeah. I like that.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 13, 2015, 08:41:19 AM »
My youngest brother is an avid bike fan.  He has several, and he's come all the way here from NC on a bike.  (Yikes!)  I suggest you try nothing of the kind until you have years of experience on the things.  See, I think vehicles should envelop you, not the other way around.  Anything goes wrong in traffic featuring sedans, SUVs and trucks, you're history.  Keep it on the back roads on sunny days until you really master it.

I heartily approve of your car choices, though.  :)

I did try riding his kids' 50cc Honda mini.  Yeah, it's a much different beast than a moped.  I felt very insecure trying to navigate slowly around his big backyard.  I did not even try going out on the street.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 13, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
I took the class with Jennie's uncle.  He said in New Jersey, where he's originally from, the way you get a motorcycle license is sort of the way you can get your driver's license in Ohio after age 18.  You take a written test and get a 30-day permit, then you borrow someone's motorcycle and practice, and then take the state-sponsored test.

I can't imagine doing it that way.  The class I took was invaluable because it teaches you everything from taking turns while accelerating, quick stops, swerves, low-speed offset weave, high-speed offset weave, small-radius figure eight/U-turn, obstacle traversal, when (and when not to) to use your front and rear brakes.  I wouldn't trust myself to learn or be aware of those on my own or even from an experienced rider.  The test I took only covered curves, quick stops, figure eight/U-turn, and swerving.

For example, there were other experienced riders in the class that had been riding a little while but never had taken any formal training and were either riding illegally or had just been using dirt bikes.  Both of these guys were using their brakes during turns and that is a big no-no when riding a motorcycle.  They had no idea and just had been lucky they didn't skid and crash thus far.  So they were surprised and thankful to learn about that and correct their behavior.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Monday, July 13, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »
I have a friend who rides, or used to. He gave it up after a while, though. I think the idea is awesome, but I would never do it. The risk just doesn't seem worth the reward, especially given how many bad drivers are out there. In California I might consider it. In Texas? Fucking forget it. Those people cannot drive.

Sounds awesome, though! I also approve of your choice in cars.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #5 on: Monday, July 13, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »
I'm jealous. It's a dream of mine to get a bike. :)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 13, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »
OK, idol and Cools make it happen.  What is really standing in the way of doing something you always wanted?  Obstacles?  Sure, I get it.  But are they insurmountable?  I doubt they are in this case.

Life's too short to let something you always wanted to do go by.  Just some friendly advice from one of the resident geezers.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #7 on: Monday, July 13, 2015, 07:59:30 PM »
Haha. It will happen. Just a matter of time. :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 01:28:12 AM »
I don't think I'd have it in me to do this. But good for you! Be careful!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 05:27:52 AM »
Got on a dirtbike when I was a teen.  Had exactly one dirt bike accident.  All the "motorcycle" I'll ever want.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 07:44:22 AM »
So I was hoping to find a starter bike for under $1000.  Just some crappy, used beater that I could use for practice.  Apparently the Suzuki TU250X is a good starter bike and it's actually the one I rode in the course, but I can only find one on Craigslist that is local and it's asking price is $2250.  I also took a look at the Honda Rebel and those are a bit cheaper.  The only issue I have with those is that they are carbourated instead of fuel injected and therefore a little more finicky to keep running.  Also, I didn't learn how to mess with the fuel valve and choke, though I guess I could figure it out.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »
heh, I can't afford a motorcycle.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 24, 2015, 02:10:05 PM »
Got my driver's license officially endorsed* today and booked a rental of a Harley-Davidson Iron 883.  I'll be riding tomorrow with a guy from work.

I'm a little nervous but really excited.

* The endorsement just says "MOTORCYCLE ALSO" at the bottom of the license, like it is some sort of afterthought. There is an "Endorse" section on the license, but it has nothing next to it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 25, 2015, 08:30:08 AM »
Hope you're having a great time.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 25, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »
Got my driver's license officially endorsed* today and booked a rental of a Harley-Davidson Iron 883.  I'll be riding tomorrow with a guy from work.

I'm a little nervous but really excited.

* The endorsement just says "MOTORCYCLE ALSO" at the bottom of the license, like it is some sort of afterthought. There is an "Endorse" section on the license, but it has nothing next to it.

Getting my motorcycle licence is something I'd like to do but never ever should do. The same goes for buying a dirt bike - I'd love both but just know I'll end up fucking myself up.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 26, 2015, 06:15:08 AM »
Even after the guy from work called it quits, I decided to keep the bike the rest of the day and I rode around for hours by myself.

It was a blast.

Oh, and that whole thing with chicks digging motorcycles is so true.  I was waiting for a drawbridge and a smoking hot girl next to me rolled down her window and talked to me.

Love it!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 01:12:45 PM »
I am really happy for you Scottws. I don't mean to sound like a mom but don't take any unnecessary risks. Have a great time. That Harley looked like a beaut.