Author Topic: The Martian  (Read 6324 times)

Offline PyroMenace

The Martian
« on: Wednesday, September 02, 2015, 08:22:29 AM »
Please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good, please be good...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: The Martian
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 02, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »
I read the book but didn't like it much.  I know it was told from the first person, but I found the writing to be sort of... amateur.  I can't think of a better word to describe it.  Casual, maybe.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The Martian
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 07, 2015, 07:48:05 PM »
I read the book but didn't like it much.  I know it was told from the first person, but I found the writing to be sort of... amateur.  I can't think of a better word to describe it.  Casual, maybe.
It was "casual" for sure but I actually still really enjoyed it.   Actually, it might have been partially because the writing style was so laid back

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: The Martian
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 09:16:13 AM »
I liked it.  It had some very far-fetched notions (that would have failed 19 out of 20 times attempted) to move the excitement along, but that's OK.  It goes along well with the positive tone of the film.  It reminds to some extent of Apollo 13.

I figured out what they were going to do about halfway through the film.  It's the only thing that could have possibly worked.  I do wish they had described it more accurately and maturely to the audience.