Author Topic: Kerbal: Project B.E.A.S.T.  (Read 2260 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Kerbal: Project B.E.A.S.T.
« on: Tuesday, January 05, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »
Kerbal Space Program is a cool game about building rockets and trying not to explode. There is an entire solar system to explore, and probably more because there is an active modding community. But this thread is more about Project B.E.A.S.T.

Giant Bomb east coast (GBeast...get it now?) crew is playing Kerbal with the "simple" goal of getting a rocket to the Mun (moon), plant a flag there, and then get that kerbal back to Earth...or whatever the game calls the Earth. No kerbal left behind! They need to make it home or die trying.

I have been loving this series. Each episode is roughly an hour long, Vinny is mainly in control with Alex and Austin commenting and giving advice. It's real fun watching because Vinny has kind of an idea what needs to be done but so much can and does go wrong. Some things they should do differently but it's extremely entertaining watching work through the process and learn as they go. It's also a pretty entertaining intro to Kerbal Space Program. Makes me want to buy it.

Here is part 1, which is just Vinny and Alex. Austin joins in part 2.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

More parts to come!

Que Ninja Edit—Part 5 added!
idol ninja edit: part 6 added!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 20, 2016, 08:15:23 PM by idolminds »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Kerbal: Project B.E.A.S.T.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 11, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
Idol found pure gold with these. These are amazing.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 11, 2016, 10:36:15 PM »
I downloaded the demo. Turns out space flight is hard. Who knew?

EDIT

The demo is fairly substantial, even with the limited number of parts available to you. I've been playing for hours and still have goals to accomplish. There is a good taste of the singleplayer part of the game, where you start with the minimum to build a rocket and have to "build" your way up. There are lots of "accomplishments" to reach, such as highest top speed, first time to various heights, etc. On top of that there are missions you can take on. The last one I did required me to get 2 tourists into sub-orbital flight (break atmosphere at 70,000 meters) and return them home. Took a few tried because I took 2 tourists plus my pilot up all at once. Since the demo only has the 1-seater pod I had to stack 3 of them on my ship. This is fine except when returning home its harder to slow the stack of them down in time to deploy the chute. I needed to reserve some fuel to slow myself down as I was coming into the atmosphere, but also leave enough time to jettison the fuel tanks and engine before it got too hot and exploded. Good times.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 12, 2016, 10:58:22 AM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2016, 03:02:50 PM »
I have reached orbit! Took some redesigning and some practice at piloting but I managed to get a kerbal into a stable orbit and brought him home safely. It's still a challenge, I had barely any fuel left to slow down and get back to the planet surface. If my next step is to reach the Mun, I need to have much more fuel when I get into space.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2016, 10:46:22 PM »
I kinda want to try the demo, but at the same time I don't because I know I'm going to get the game at some point, and I've seen enough that I don't want to spoil it any more by also getting playtime in.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
Updates!

Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9

And now for a special episode!

Scott Manley Edition!

Scott Manley is the go-to guy when you want to learn about playing Kerbal Space Program. He has a Youtube channel full of videos teaching you how to play and him doing all sorts of things. Vinny and crew managed to get several Kerbals stranded in space, so they brought Scott in for a mission to rescue them.

I don't want to spoil things in any of the videos, but Scott posted a follow up video that you should watch after seeing his GB video. It's...well, it's kinda nuts.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
I wont link to the other episodes, you know where to find them. They are now rescuing the stranded Kerbals...next up, the one thats on a sun orbit!

In related news, I picked up the game! Running tutorials I've already managed to crash into the moon and crash into Kerbin. Good times. Will start my singleplayer career soon.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 24, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »
I might get into these.  It seems like KErbal is a game I'd rather watch someone else play anyways.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 25, 2016, 01:11:25 AM »
They're great fun, and good to have on in the background while you do other stuff, since a lot of it is just them fucking around with menus and such. But the big moments are pretty great.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »
I have no idea how these are so entertaining but they are.  Great find.