Author Topic: Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Classics on Steam getting a makeover/ROM hacks  (Read 2282 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Classics on Steam getting a makeover/ROM hacks
« on: Thursday, April 21, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »

I have no idea how they are going to pull this off but it sounds really cool. I only have a couple of the Mega Drive games on Steam so hopefully I can check this out and see what its like. But very cool of Sega to give these old games some attention. Make it worth more than just downloading ROMs for free off the internet.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Classics on Steam getting a makeover/ROM hacks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 07:25:11 PM »
This update is out and it's pretty neat. Of course your system needs to be fast enough to run the new 3D interface and emulate the game at the same time, but if my old relic can handle it then you should be fine. Some decent customization options for filtering, scan lines, full screen or simulated CRT. There is a shelf on the side that holds your games and...man, when you only have a few games you want to grab more to fill it up haha.

The various game bundles on Steam are on sale right now until the 1st, such as this big pack for $20. It is strangely tempting even though I already can emulate all of these games if I wanted.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 28, 2016, 10:48:47 PM »
It's pretty cool.

By the way, if you still want the old interface you can still bring it up in Steam by right-clicking and selecting "Simple Launcher."

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 03, 2016, 11:02:49 PM »
Pretty cool for sure.  Has some bugs right now (with my Xbox One Controller) but def pretty cool.   I'd love to see them do achievements or challenges with it like that old DS game, Retro Game Challenge (Which was amazing, by the way)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 12:11:34 AM »
Pretty cool for sure.  Has some bugs right now (with my Xbox One Controller) but def pretty cool.

Yeah I got the same thing. I read the fix is to either install older controller drivers, or wait for they to patch the game. Mine was pulling to the upper left constantly so I couldn't even navigate the menus.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 07:04:09 AM »
Yep, same issues here when I use the Xbox One controller.

According to a Sega rep on the Steam forums it's a problem inherent in the Unity engine so they're not sure if they'll be able to fix it soon.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 04, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »
Yep, same issues here when I use the Xbox One controller.

According to a Sega rep on the Steam forums it's a problem inherent in the Unity engine so they're not sure if they'll be able to fix it soon.

I've heard that about the unity engine, which seems silly as fuck.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2016, 01:50:35 PM »
Hey it turns out people like when you put effort into your releases. 350,000 Mega Drive titles sold on Steam since mod hub launch.