Author Topic: The next generation is here! Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition  (Read 7289 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
New Old Console

REDMOND, Wash., July 14, 2016 – If you see a Nintendo Entertainment System on store shelves this holiday shopping season, you haven’t entered a time machine. (Unless everyone around you is wearing acid-washed jeans and neon leg warmers. If that’s the case, you may have unknowingly walked through a rift in the space-time continuum.) The most likely scenario is you are setting eyes on the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition, launching in stores on Nov. 11 at a suggested retail price of $59.99. That’s right: The NES is back! But this isn’t the same NES that you fondly remember. This new nostalgia-fueled system is a near-identical, mini replica of Nintendo’s original home console and plugs directly into your high-definition TV using an included HDMI cable. The console comes complete with 30 NES games built in, including beloved classics like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN, and Kirby’s Adventure.

“We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo’s original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place,” said Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. “The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers.”

The system comes packaged with an HDMI cable, an AC adapter and one NES Classic Controller, which is patterned after the iconic design of the original NES controller. But you really just want to know the full list of 30 games, right? Feast your eyes on the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system:

Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario™
Excitebike™
FINAL FANTASY®
Galaga™
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
GRADIUS™
Ice Climber™
Kid Icarus™
Kirby’s Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
MEGA MAN® 2
Metroid™
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™
SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

There’s a little something for everyone: a nice mix of timeless favorites, cult classics and maybe even some games that you never got around to playing. Each is sure to bring back memories and produce plenty of new ones. You can even enjoy playing several of these games with two players by attaching a second NES Classic Controller, which will be sold separately at a suggested retail price of $9.99. A Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro can also be used (each sold separately).

When connected to a Wii Remote controller, the NES Classic Controller can also be used to play Virtual Console NES games on a Wii U or Wii system. Playing these retro games using a retro controller makes the experience that much more authentic. And if you ever need to step away from the NES Classic Edition in the middle of a tough level (or take a break to call one of Nintendo’s helpful Game Counselors*), don’t worry about losing any hard-earned progress. Each game has multiple suspend points, so you can start where you left off at a later time, no passwords needed.

What’s old is new again with the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition. Relive past glories. Finish off that boss you never beat. Save the galaxy and rescue the princess!

*Please only call if you have indeed entered a time machine. The Game Counselor program no longer exists in 2016.
If I can get an adapter, those controllers are cheap and would be cool to have hooked up to my PC. But even the mini NES itself is kinda cool, and that is one hell of a games list. I'll likely end up with one of these at some point.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 14, 2016, 12:14:03 PM by idolminds »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: The next generation is here! Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 14, 2016, 11:07:29 PM »
It would be very cool if it could run NES carts as well.  Good list of games, but there is so much missing.  For example, the lack of Dracula's Curse was painfully obvious after seeing Castlevania I and II on the list.  I still have that one in a box somewhere.

I'd like to know what kind of upscaling they're using to go out that HDMI cable.  I imagine it supports the proper 4:3 aspect ratio, but good filtering into the higher res should be there as well (maybe with a CRT-look option?).  Also, what's the deal with the USB power adapter not included?  Is that for a controller?

Edit:  That last bit happened because I originally read a different story on this, which included this puzzling quote:

"*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging."

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: The next generation is here! Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 06:22:39 AM »
From what I read, it's basically an emulator that plays games from the Wii virtual console.  From what I read about Castlevania III, it used some chip on the cart that is apparently very hard to emulate or hasn't been properly reverse engineered.  That's a shame, because it's my favorite CV as well.  Simon's Quest is on there though, and I do like that one a lot as well.

I'm thinking about snagging one of these.  These games are classics!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 07:16:19 AM »
Emulator devs conquered Dracula's Curse a long time ago.  It runs well on decade-old systems.  (Here it's on Nestopia, the most accurate emulator that runs at full speed on my dinosaur.)  Specialty-built hardware with modern emulating software would have no trouble with it.  I'm guessing it's more of a licensing or cost issue.  Somebody couldn't make a good-enough deal.

So it's just running Wii-console software?  At first I thought it was a real NES shrunk down, with some games included in the box.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 07:55:24 AM »
I'm not certain what it is, just what I know from reading the comments in the article over on Ars Technica.  Someone noticed that all the games were on the Wii VC and some of the notable ones that were missing (like CV3) aren't on the VC either.

It's almost certainly not actual NES hardware.  Probably some ARM processor in there running an emulator.

In any case, Nintendo has clarified some more information about it.  It doesn't connect to the Internet, doesn't accept external media of any kind, and won't ever play anything other than the 30 included games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 08:08:12 AM »
Yeah many people jumping at the chance to buy this, but I'd wait to see how the emulation actually holds up.

"*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging."

Nintendo is weird. They don't include the AC adapter in the New 3DS either. But at least in this case its safe to assume most people have a USB wall wart of some kind because nearly everything else charges with one. It also means they don't have to make different ones for different regions. And a lot of TVs have USB ports on them so maybe they expect people to just power it that way? I dont know.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »
While I never played the Wii's VC, people are saying that the emulation was excellent.  If it offers a similar experience, I'm sure it will be fine.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
In any case, Nintendo has clarified some more information about it.  It doesn't connect to the Internet, doesn't accept external media of any kind, and won't ever play anything other than the 30 included games.

That's a shame, such a missed opportunity.  I guess they want to thwart any attempts at hacking and piracy, but limiting it so much brings its own consequences.  The thing then becomes a novelty.  I'm sure it will sell some, then people will get bored and go elsewhere.

Nintendo is weird. They don't include the AC adapter in the New 3DS either. But at least in this case its safe to assume most people have a USB wall wart of some kind because nearly everything else charges with one. It also means they don't have to make different ones for different regions. And a lot of TVs have USB ports on them so maybe they expect people to just power it that way? I dont know.

What makes it extra confusing is that, according to the story you linked, the AC adapter is included.  And it makes no mention of the other quote.  (Instead, their aside is about a Game Counselor service that no longer exists.)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 10:19:33 AM »
That's a shame, such a missed opportunity.  I guess they want to thwart any attempts at hacking and piracy, but limiting it so much brings its own consequences.  The thing then becomes a novelty.  I'm sure it will sell some, then people will get bored and go elsewhere.
Perhaps.  Personally, since it was announced I never viewed it as anything other than one of those "Atari-in-a-controller" thing where you have a joystick that has three or four games like Galaga and Pac-Man and you plug it into the TV.  It's basically the same thing, except with many more games, more recent games (in comparison), and for a higher price.

It's not a new console.  It's just a little arcade game box that Nintendo is selling to make some scratch.  And by the reaction I've been seeing, I think they will make some dough on it for sure.  The hardware is cheap and the development work had to be pretty minimal.  It has enough of the right games on it to pull at the heartstrings of people in our age range and the price is reasonable.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 10:22:33 AM »
Yeah, I can see that now.  The letdown comes from the initial impression.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »
I doubt I'll ever use it because I don't play classic games sitting down in front of anything anymore. These days I prefer to have them portable in some fashion or other, with rare exceptions. But I do like the idea of it and I think it's pretty great for what it is. I'd buy one in the right circumstances.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 04:28:44 PM »
In any case, Nintendo has clarified some more information about it.  It doesn't connect to the Internet, doesn't accept external media of any kind, and won't ever play anything other than the 30 included games.

This is the thing that will keep me from getting it. I would love it if there was the promise of new titles being added in the future, even if they cost more (as long as they were reasonably priced).

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, July 16, 2016, 06:09:18 AM »
Yeah this is a quick, easy money grab.  Nintendo doesn't want you buying up games on something like this.  They want you spending that dough on their next console and its offerings (and probably the VC there).

This will do a great job of pulling in the "Oh man I remember having one of these!" crowd who hasn't gamed since the NES days, though.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 16, 2016, 07:18:15 AM »
I'm going to get it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 06:14:58 AM »
At some point, I will have to get this. To be able to connect this to HDMI - in which I have HDMI on my gaming desktop + laptop and my HDTV - is just beautiful. :)

So many classics there, oddly enough - I just don't have! I don't know how, but I do not own any of the damn Zeldas.

About Castlevania series - i.e. CV1-3, I have the PC Collection w/ that and Contra series still on disc. Bought it years ago. Still works, too. :)
Funny enough, I did recently buy all of the CV games that are available on Steam.

BTW - why didn't they include the original NES versions of Double Dragon 1 and 3?
And Where's Mega Man 1 + 3?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 06:17:17 AM »
It would be very cool if it could run NES carts as well.  
OMG, that would be awesome if there was some kind of adapter that connected to this as a cartridge-drive that lets you stick in the old NES carts. I still have so many of those.
I really don't want to blow in the old carts to keep the dust out like in the old days, though. ;)

EDIT:
I really wish something like River City Ransom was included in there. I loved that damn game.

EDIT 2:
I also hope Nintendo adds maybe some kind of drive or something later where you can stick in even MORE packs of awesome classic NES games. This is something I could so get down with. :)
Companies really shouldn't let their old classics and games wind-up in the abandonware section - as there's SO much many they could still make off this stuff.

Doing stuff like this here and/or re-releasing their classics emulated on newer platforms (i.e. Steam, XBL, PSN, and whatever Nintendo's WiiU service is) really should be the way for them to go here.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 08:27:13 AM »
D, Nintendo has already confirmed this is a closed platform.  No connectivity or expansion capabilities whatsoever.  it is what it is.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 09:52:32 AM »
Yeah, but I get his enthusiasm for the nixed possibilities.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 01:50:21 PM »
We'll see how hackable the thing is. You just know someones going to try figure out a way to put different games on it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »
Yeah, but if you're going to put in that work might as well just get a RP and be done with it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 09:14:28 PM »
Perhaps. It depends on how simple this thing is to modify. Raspberry Pi is nice but it is not nearly as simple to set up and maintain. If you don't shut it down properly you can easily corrupt the SD card, something this Nintendo Mini shouldnt have to worry about.

Of course you you need to solder on a USB port to this thing then yeah you probably have the chops to be running a pi.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #21 on: Monday, July 18, 2016, 05:32:25 AM »
I've maintained that the real "get" here is the NES controller.  Since it connects with Wii remotes for the Virtual Console it'll make that experience feel much more authentic when playing NES games.  I hope they follow suit for the SNES and N64.  perhaps make the N64 controller just a little more durable this go round.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Monday, July 18, 2016, 03:04:24 PM »
D, Nintendo has already confirmed this is a closed platform.  No connectivity or expansion capabilities whatsoever.  it is what it is.

:(

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, September 29, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
Everyone wonder if Japan was getting this, well they aren't.

They are getting the Famicom Mini

Mostly the same games, with these differences:

NES Classic exclusive: Bubble Bobble, Castlevania 2, Donkey Kong Jr, Final Fantasy, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Startropics, Tecmo Bowl

Famicom exclusive: Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Atlantis no Nazo, Solomon's Key, Tsuppari Sumo, River City Ransom, Final Fantasy 3, Mario Club Golf, Downtown Street Challenge

Lucky bastards get River City Ransom!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Friday, September 30, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »
Haha, I posted this in IRC not realizing that idol posted it here.

This is totally the one I'm getting if I get one. I don't know why, but I have more fondness and nostalgia for the Famicom design than the NES, which is of course nonsensical as I never had one. Watched too much Japanese TV, I guess. I wouldn't mind the exclusive games on the NES version, as I'm fond of several, but I'm more interested in the Japanese exclusives, especially Atlantis no Nazo, Solomon no Kagi, and Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Friday, January 06, 2017, 10:07:03 PM »
The hackening is happening. People have found a way to edit and add games to the system, even over the built in 30. Seems you can at least double it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, January 07, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »
Awesome!  I imagine games that use special mappers (other than any needed by the 30 official games) may not work.  Castlevania III is a prime example of a PITA to support in emulators because of its special mapper, and the added burden of the special audio chip in the Japanese version.  This will be interesting to follow.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »
Quote from: NES Mini
This is the hanafuda captain speaking. Launching emulation in 3...2...1. Many efforts, tears and countless hours have been put into this jewel. So, please keep this place tidied up and don't break everything! Cheers, the hanafuda captain.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-10-nintendo-hid-secret-message-for-hackers-within-nes-mini

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 11:11:25 AM »
Thats pretty cute. Now if only I could get my hands on one of these.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
I'm more interested in it now that it can get new games hacked in than when it was set in stone.  The process is not for the faint-of-heart, though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
I really don't care either way. It's cute, but I'd rather get a Raspberry Pi and just do it all properly.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #31 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 06:30:35 PM »
I really don't care either way. It's cute, but I'd rather get a Raspberry Pi and just do it all properly.

Honestly, that's exactly how I feel. It certainly looks neat but it's only appeal that I understand is for the casual audience that had a sense of nostalgia for the 90s.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #32 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »
90's nostalgia. Ha! The NES came out in '85.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 09:00:51 PM »
Heh.  Yeah, around 1990-91 is when I got into the Sega Genesis, and not long after, the SNES.

I didn't mean that I actually want one of these things now that it can be hacked.  But it does make it a lot more interesting than a system forever locked to 30 games.  Emulation on PC takes care of all the 80s and 90s nostalgia I can handle.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, April 13, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »
If you don't have one, well...you might never get one. Nintendo is already discontinuing the NES Classic.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, April 13, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Whoa! So bizarre! I've never seen them in stock anywhere and never sold online at anything less than more than double the MSRP.

Nintendo is crazy to discontinue this. How much could it possibly have cost to make? The development work was all done decades ago.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 14, 2017, 08:33:06 AM by scottws »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, April 13, 2017, 08:09:26 PM »
What a dumb thing to do.  Maybe there's more to it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #37 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »
Not much of a surprise. They always cut off supply well before demand has run out. I think it's ludicrous, but they've been doing it with games for decades. Obviously not with hardware, but this doesn't really qualify in the game sense. It does seem weird, but I think it's always been a bit baffling. People always say it's to keep demand for their stuff high, but I dunno. It seems like they could always milk these things for at least twice as long before ceasing production and still do that.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 12:36:54 AM »
People always say it's to keep demand for their stuff high, but I dunno. It seems like they could always milk these things for at least twice as long before ceasing production and still do that.

It really bugs me when people say this (and I don't mean you), just because it doesn't make any sense at all. It's such a super simplistic way of looking at supply and demand.  Lack of supply doesn't create demand, it creates news stories. I mean, you could argue that those news stories in turn create demand - but who gives a shit unless you can capitalize on that by fulfilling that demand.  Nintendo doesn't want people just to see their products as desirable - they want people to see their products as desirable and then buy them right away.  Having a shit ton of people wanting a Wii, Switch, or NES Mini doesn't do them any good at all unless they actually turn that demand quantity into sales.

I think this urban legend initially came out with the N64 when there were less consoles available at launch and there were legit chip shortages on some games limiting runs. I think this was a combination of the videogame market growing faster than Nintendo had accounted for and also production problems - but I'm purely guessing here. 

Of course there are shortages at every high demand console launch.   The logistics of manufacturing consumer grade electronics are probably pretty complicated.   Your suppliers roll whole plants or lines over at a time and you have to have a rolling batch order in so you probably book it before all the nitty gritty hardware or design details are sorted, and then it's a race.  It's a race to get those details sorted out, a race to get the lines flipped over, and a race to get a test run completed.  And then it's a race to produce and ship.   Like, I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about here but I imagine it's a pretty high pressure clusterfuck of a situation - We have a release date, we have a date we have our partners plants booked to switch over to produce our product and there's probably not a lot of time in between.

It translates less with the NES mini but the releases are pretty time sensitive.  Here's how I imagine it goes down with something like the PS4:  You have the R&D mostly specced out and then you can send out to your partners for bidding, or at least pricing.  You pick one or approve and then you try to figure out how soon they can roll production over for your product.  Lets say they're still producing PS3s or Blueray players, or TVs or whatever. That contract is going for six months more so that's the soonest they can start pumping out PS4s. 

Great, lock that date in. Start working on marketing, branding, finer details of design.  Crunch some numbers - You have 50% of your manufacturing partners able to roll out consoles in six months, but the rest need 9 to switch lines over. You know you need to launch with actual product on shelves and probably have an idea of how many units you need to have so you can ship SOMETHING to Amazon, Wallmart, EB, and whoever else - because they're going to be taking pre-orders and if you leave them too short you're going to have serious fucking problems with them - and you really do need them and their marketing dollars.   So, 50% capacity six months from now, 100% capacity nine months from now.  We need a supply inventory of product to sell BUT we have logistics problems with letting that supply build up.

You're in a race with your competitors and technological advancements in general.  If Sony thinks the PS4 is going to have a huge impact and wants as much stock as possible to be on store shelves as soon as possible, it would make sense to go into production for, like, a year instead of three months before launching.  But maybe that means Microsoft already has their new console out a year earlier and a lot of early adopters and big time console gamers are now tied into their eco system. OR maybe MS launches at the same time BUT they only went into production for three months.  Maybe their console now has taken advantage of that nine months  extra of development time, enabling them to finalize a GPU or CPU after a die shrink or higher bandwidth memory.  Maybe that nine months was just enough to allow them to take advantage of the next generation of CPU/GPU and people are willing to wait to get their hands on the product due to production shortages just because it's just THAT much more powerful.

Beyond that, holding inventory costs money (and this is a huge thing).  You don't know if your next console is going to be a Wii or a WiiU.  If you overproduce you're not just kicking yourself because you've spent money on this hardware no one is buying, you're kicking yourself because you have to pay someone to store warehouses and warehouses of this hardware no one is buying.  You're kicking yourself because you're booked into long term manufacturing contracts that you now need to buy out of because each additional unit being made is costing you money in parts, in manufacturing, and in storage.   You're kicking yourself because it's possible retailers are having the same problem and they're now selling your console at a discount which is a detriment to the perceived value of the hardware.

Companies tend to be conservative with estimates for hardware launches, and for good reason. Nintendo is a conservative company in general.  I don't think the short supply of some of their products is a marketing gimmick, I think it's a reflection of the fact that this is an experienced company in an extremely fickle marketplace.

And to be honest, as I type this I think the reason behind the NES Classic's termination and the sudden short stock of the 3DS systems is one and the same:  The Switch is more successful and more in demand than Nintendo had estimated and they are asking their partners to switch their production lines over from their periphery products in hopes of meeting demand for the Switch. I will now include that in a TL;DR below:

TL;DR

A bunch of stuff that's probably wrong about hardware production and a theory I just came up with which outlines how Nintendo may have ended the production run of the NES Classic early and reduced the production of the 3DS family in order shift the focus over to the Switch, which has been received better than they initially estimated.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, April 15, 2017, 06:19:31 AM »
Lack of supply doesn't create demand, it creates news stories. I mean, you could argue that those news stories in turn create demand - but who gives a shit unless you can capitalize on that by fulfilling that demand.

. . .

We need a supply inventory of product to sell BUT we have logistics problems with letting that supply build up.

. . .

TL;DR

A bunch of stuff that's probably wrong about hardware production and a theory I just came up with which outlines how Nintendo may have ended the production run of the NES Classic early and reduced the production of the 3DS family in order shift the focus over to the Switch, which has been received better than they initially estimated.

What a great post.  One other thing to consider is the toxic negativity of so much of the gaming community.  Accusing Nintendo of intentionally undersupplying is something a Sony fanboy may concoct, and then that spreads on posts, blogs and videos.  It's an easy jab too, since it's impossible to disprove.

But I think your first point is the best.  Intentional undersupply as a ploy to create demand would only have a chance of working if it is followed up by meeting that new demand before if fizzles out.  Otherwise, all it does is create consumer ill will, the last thing Nintendo or any other good company would want.