Author Topic: The next generation is here! Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The next generation is here! Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, April 16, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
I know jack shit about economics or how these things really work. Probably mostly because I don't care that much ... I've never been a money or math guy. Regardless, I suspect the reason this kind of perspective persists is because Nintendo does it with practically everything. Their hardware and games are both always in short supply, seemingly without fail. You could indeed say that they're conservative and trying to be smart, but when there's always more demand for most of their products than they ever actually meet, one could argue it's actually not very smart at all, and that their conservative outlook has been costing them sales for decades. Or that it's an attempt to produce a limited supply of everything and ensure they sell 100% of it, regardless of how many consumers are left out, which may not exactly be the same as intentional undersupply to create demand, but ... kind of? If everyone knows this is what your company does, you're ensured a big rush on your stuff when it's released, meaning you sell out well before you're discounting stuff to lower prices to move product sitting on shelves too long.

Either way, it confuses me. There are a ton of their games I would have bought but never did because there was no supply by the time I was ready, and I sure as shit wasn't paying inflated ebay prices. I actually would have bought a Switch on impulse (a questionable decision, but one I was ready to make at one point) if there actually were any to buy, but that time has passed on, and it's very unlikely that I'll ever even consider it at this point. This is why I skipped the N64, a lot of the Gamecube, GBA, DS, and Wii libraries, the Wii U entirely, and now the Switch.

Don't most companies see demand like this and take steps to meet it, conservative or not? Nintendo isn't nobody. They have resources and could develop new partners for producing stuff, they just choose not to. Are they not just leaving money on the table with the NES Classic, which would clearly still be selling if they bothered to do even another limited run?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The next generation is here! Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition
« Reply #41 on: Monday, April 17, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »

Don't most companies see demand like this and take steps to meet it, conservative or not? Nintendo isn't nobody. They have resources and could develop new partners for producing stuff, they just choose not to. Are they not just leaving money on the table with the NES Classic, which would clearly still be selling if they bothered to do even another limited run?

I'm theorizing that Nintendo is seeing demand for the Switch and how they're taking steps to meet it is by asking their production partners to cease production of the NES Classic and roll their lines over to produce the Switch (or, for all we know, the new joycons that don't cut out).  Sure, they're leaving money on the table with the NES Classic but that's a one time buy.  If they can get more Switch consoles out there it opens future revenue streams far more than the NES Classic.

But who knows, that's purely speculation on my part.  Also, I wasn't aware that there was short supply of their games often as well.  I don't think I've owned a Nintendo console during it's main lifespan since the n64.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #42 on: Monday, April 17, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
sort of on topic.  You'd be hard pressed to find a 3DS/2DS in just about any flavor right now.  In fact I saw six switch systems on the shelf at Wal-Mart in my town on Sunday.  Zero DS handhelds. 

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »
sort of on topic.  You'd be hard pressed to find a 3DS/2DS in just about any flavor right now.  In fact I saw six switch systems on the shelf at Wal-Mart in my town on Sunday.  Zero DS handhelds.

I heard this a while ago as well. Well, full disclosure: I looked into this after I was wondering if I could get a cheap unit near the Switch release.  Honestly, I think they're focusing ALL their production potential on the Switch at the moment. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 07:25:28 PM »
Surprisingly well-reasoned article from the outlet I edit for:

https://www.goombastomp.com/nes-mini-savvy-move/

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, April 30, 2017, 04:58:44 AM »
Well, there is this, I guess.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, April 30, 2017, 08:05:42 AM »
Well, there is this, I guess.

10 million Raspberry Pi's sold as of last September.  Before reading idol's posts, I didn't even know about it.  I think if I can find a Zero for $1-4 next time I visit Microcenter, I'll buy it just to have it propped up somewhere on display.  Conversation piece.