Author Topic: Site outage  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Site outage
« on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 09:52:07 PM »
Probably only a few people noticed, but the site migrated and we had to update DNS. All is well now.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Site outage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »
haha didn't notice. Thanks for the update though.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 09:40:44 AM »
Well done!  I wasn't even aware you guys were planning on migrating the site and I didn't notice the outage at all.

In the future, you can mitigate some of the DNS pain by contacting the DNS provider at least 72 hours in advance of a planned record change and having the Time-to-Live (TTL) on the host (A) record for www.overwritten.net lowered to something short like one hour (or whatever the minimum that the provider allows is).  Then, ideally, any outage that anyone experiences is no more than an hour (or whatever the TTL is set to).  Afterwards, you can change the TTL back to eight hours or 24 hours or whatever it was before.

The TTL is related to how long a DNS client caches the record.  A long TTL means that the client will cache possibly old information longer, but it means less hits on the DNS server because clients won't query for the records as often.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 09:46:56 AM »
Huh, interesting.

In this case it was actually all the host. They were swapping us to a new server and apparently didn't realize until after the fact that we were handling our own DNS, thus the short outage between the time they emailed me and when it was resolved by cools.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 06:15:08 PM »
Interesting... Yeah, nothing to be done in that case except grin and bear it.