Author Topic: Backup advice  (Read 6024 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Backup advice
« on: Saturday, October 22, 2016, 10:10:10 PM »
Hi guys,

So my wife's laptop is in a bad state. Every time it goes into starting Windows it crashes. She needs to back up her portfolio. I believe it's going OK with safe mode. But there are serious issues with the motherboard. Basically the video is screwed.

Thing is we don't have a portable hard drive and can't buy one unless there is no option. Is there any other solution?

I have another laptop. But from safe made she can't connect to her network otherwise I'd do it that way. Is there any other way? Could I take out her hard drive and somehow access it from my laptop? Or can I possibly connect an internal desktop HD to her laptop or even an SSD?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Backup advice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 22, 2016, 10:13:56 PM »
That should work.  Last time a PC fried on me, I pulled out the hard drive and mounted it on an external enclosure.  It's still working that way here.  You might be able to mount the drive directly into a PC somehow, buyt an external USB enclosure or caddy is probably the easiest option.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 22, 2016, 10:49:45 PM »
Is there an external USB enclosure the for laptop drives? I am not sure what's wrong with her computer. Sometimes it reaches Windows but it eventually just restarts before making a sound like it is about to shutdown. Like it's a snap you hear from the power supply you'd usually hear when she was shutting her laptop down.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 22, 2016, 10:54:47 PM »
So how do I figure out what enclosure works for this laptop's enclosure. And I am so glad to be back in Canada. I don't know if it is the time zone but I feel more connected to you guys also. :)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 23, 2016, 07:29:42 AM »
Sorry.  I went to bed after posting.  Look for a 2.5" SATA drive enclosure.  Or pull the drive and march to your friendly neighborhood computer place with it.  There are services that will recover data for you, if the drive itself is bad.

Edit:  giyf  :)

http://www.newegg.com/Hard-Drive-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 23, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
Once you solve this problem, invest the 60 dollars yearly into a service like Crashplan so you never have to worry again.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 23, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »
Sorry.  I went to bed after posting.  Look for a 2.5" SATA drive enclosure.  Or pull the drive and march to your friendly neighborhood computer place with it.  There are services that will recover data for you, if the drive itself is bad.

Edit:  giyf  :)

http://www.newegg.com/Hard-Drive-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92

Sorry I meant how do I know what drive the laptop has after reading this on the internet:

"Different computers use different hard drive models, so be sure to check your dead laptop’s specifications before making this purchase. Ex. If your laptop has a 2.5 SATA drive, you will need a 2.5 SATA USB enclosure."

I couldn't after searching the model of the laptop. Guess I have to go in. ;)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 23, 2016, 06:04:46 PM »
I've used enclosures to save laptop drives before, they do the job dandily. Break out the crowbar and crack that sucker open.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 23, 2016, 08:37:56 PM »
Thanks! Shall do.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 24, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »
How big is her portfolio, by the way?  I mean, you could always just try to use a 128GB or 256GB flash drive.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »
Yea true, but unfortunately the computer won't stay on long enough for that.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 28, 2016, 02:43:56 PM »
Don't back things up. Live on the edge.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »
I have another laptop. But from safe made she can't connect to her network otherwise I'd do it that way. Is there any other way? Could I take out her hard drive and somehow access it from my laptop? Or can I possibly connect an internal desktop HD to her laptop or even an SSD?
It's been awhile since I've done Windows client support, but isn't there a safe mode with networking option?  I know there used to be in older versions of Windows.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 12:24:25 PM »
Even that is crashing. So wifey's laptop has an AMD card and an Intel thingee built in. The AMD card is basically dead. We took it to the hardware store a year ago in Pakistan and they said it's gone. It was causing the laptop to crash at Windows. Since then we disabled the card, switched to the Intel, and the laptop started booting and running OK, albeit with poorer video quality in movies.

Now it's crashing again. It just restarts randomly. I suspect it is the power supply or the the on board Intel video card.

I think it's the trip that did it. At our crossover, Etihad forced us to hand in our carry on into luggage because the flight was fully booked and there was little space in the overhead compartment. I have a feeling the bag was poorly handled.  

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »
Possibly.  Did you try to reseat everything?  You might also try running Spinrite at level 2 on the drive.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »
I have never worked with a laptop's inners but I can try. Maybe it is still salvageable.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 07:04:47 AM »
LOL. I totally forgot that you said it was a laptop.  Sorry!  Try the Spinrite thing first then.