Author Topic: Traveling  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Traveling
« on: Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 08:55:39 PM »
So I think everyone should travel. Traveling is absolutely amazing and just opens up your mind to so many things.

I realize that most of us here have limited resources, so I was wondering about something... when you guys talk about traveling... why do you talk about expensive places?

There are lots of cheaper places to go where you can have an extraordinary time and where you can get a lot for your US dollar. For example, I remember Scary had a great time in Thailand a decade ago.

A few places I'd recommend:

Nepal
Sri Lanka
Turley
Laos
Vietnam
Ireland

Here is a nice list actually:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/anniedaly/best-countries-for-traveling-on-a-budget?utm_term=.th3VqBBr7#.skKNYVVlp

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Traveling
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 09:10:52 PM »
I don't have time to travel, even aside from money. There's never really been a point where I've been able to say, "You know what, I'm just going to up and go somewhere!" It also sort of sucks to travel alone. I might enjoy it to some degree, but I don't think I could work up the motivation without someone going with me unless I had a really specific reason to go.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 09:57:57 PM »
Hmmm... maybe we can do a group travel plan after we all have time and some money saved. I think it would be a blast!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 10:58:44 PM »
That would be fun! I've been to Ireland, and it was fantastic. Wouldn't mind visiting some Buddhist sites in Nepal.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 01, 2016, 11:04:39 PM »
Nepal is lovely. And extraordinarily cheap.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 07:11:48 AM »
I just got back from a two week vacation in Europe.  I went to:

London, England
Barcelona, Spain
Marseille, France
Aix-en-Provence, France
Cannes, France
Naples, Italy
Rome, Italy
Florence, Italy

It was amazing.  Brexit really helped stretch our dollars in London.  The exchange rate at the time was 1.21 USD to 1 GBP, well down from what it was pre-Brexit.

My favorite part of the trip was visiting the island of Capri near Naples.  Just unbelievable.

My least favorite parts of the trip were the city of Marseille, the sheer amount of Europeans that smoke, British food, and the experience returning to the U.S. from CDG in Paris*.

Visiting some of the Asian countries would be amazing, but the travel would be a real problem for me.  The 8 - 9 hour flight between Fort Lauderdale to London and Paris was awful.  I can't imagine what it would be like for significantly longer flights.  I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if I lived in California or somewhere else on the West coast.

* We experienced European customs four times: at LGW in London, at MRS in Marseille, at LHR in London, and CDG in Paris.  Each time, it was a pleasant, smooth, and simple experience.

When we returned from CDG to FLL in Fort Lauderdale, our plane sat on the tarmac parked for 40 minutes. After a 9 hour flight! Then, 300 passengers deplaned down stairs, were loaded onto buses, and taken to the crappiest terminal at FLL, which is also under heavy construction.  We were treated to entering the terminal up some narrow, makeshift walkway ramp that seems to mostly be used by construction workers and walking down a really dirty, shitty hallway with all the ceiling tiles missing.  Next, we did that stupid U.S. customs procedure where you scan your passport at kiosks, get a printout, and then just hand that to the customs agent instead of your passport.  I'm not sure what that accomplishes, but whatever.  Then we got to the baggage claim.  The bags were not already out and it took us 35 more minutes to get our bags.  Then we went outside the terminal and were treated to a bunch of morons that, instead of waiting on the sidewalk for their ride pickup, were waiting and standing in the area where cars are supposed to pull over to pick people up; therefore, cars were just stopping in the terminal roadway causing a huge traffic jam.  Even though our ride pickup was waiting in the cell phone waiting area, it took them 25 minutes to reach us due to the traffic while we were standing outside, and we called them while we were still in the baggage claim!  I asked people to move on to the sidewalk so cars could pull over and that helped for a little bit, but then they just went back.  I asked a cop to get them to move so the traffic could free up and he said he was tired of doing it and to just let the cars hit them.

Welcome to the U.S.A.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 02:28:06 PM »
Scott, you're making the rest of us look awful.  Traveling the world, getting married, saving for retirement...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »
haha that last paragraph sounds awful.

Do share pics of your European trip if you can. It sounds incredible.

Yeah, I guess it was easier to do an Asian trip from Pakistan as these countries are closer. I didn't think about the fact that Europe is closer to North America.

So a flight from USA to Thailand is over ten hours, which is a lot, especially for a vacation. However the vacation itself is pretty cheap:

http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/11-01/5-countries-to-visit-for-under-500.html

Easier flight are to places like Argentina. That sounds like a fun place to visit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »
Yeah, man. Americans ... just ... I don't know what happened. I think we may be part of our own separate evolutionary ladder at this point.

As for flights, I don't really care about long ones so much. so long as the trip isn't a super short one. I believe we had a 14-hour flight to Ireland, and it was fine. I slept through most of it, read through the rest of it. We stayed for two weeks. It was the actual best.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 03:22:18 PM »
Central and South America is pretty close to the US and in a comparable price-range to the countries Pug listed.

I think a more likely answer to your question is that America is so big and reasonably diverse. It has incredibly cheap domestic airfare relative to international and is also far easier to do a road trip in than most other places.

When there's so much to see at home for a fraction of the price, why even bother leaving?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »
Ren makes a good point. Especially since so many regions of America are so geographically and culturally distinct from one another.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 04:59:09 PM »
Yeah when we came here I think we had a 16 hour flight from the Abu Dhabi to Toronto. I was wondering how it would turn out, especially with a baby, but Etihad was excellent. These Middle Eastern airlines are really in a class of their own. The other good one is Emirates, though Qatar is apparently the best by far.

Ren, if by America you mean from North to South America, then yea, it does make sense actually.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »
I don't really care for travelling.

It's not being in a new place and seeing the new things that bothers me, it's getting there. I find flying stressful because of trying to get there on time and not miss your flight, what can you bring with you on the plane? How many bags of what sizes? The last few flights I took, seats were first come first serve, so there was "am I going to be able to get a decent seat?" Then once I'm onboard and seated, it's a couple hours of boredom while I was for us to get there. Long road trips I don't care for either, but I guess for different reasons. I moved so much growing up because my dad was in the military (North Carolina to Seattle, Denver, Colorado Springs, Texas, South Carolina, Colorado again, North Carolina). Every time we moved ourselves with moving vans, and every time my dad was an insufferable hard ass about everything being done his way. It was always super stressful, and long road trips just remind me of that. Plus the hours of sitting in a car, bored.

Plus I'm not that into tourist type things. Or maybe it's just that I haven't gone to the right places. I went to Denver to stay with a friend for 3 weeks in September. He asked me if I wanted to go see Red Rocks, Garden of the Gods, and a few other places. I told him I didn't really care, and my family had dragged me to them all when I lived there before anyway. So we sat around getting high and playing video games for 3 weeks. I don't consider it a wasted vacation, I hung out with a college friend for a few weeks. (I'm not huge on weed either, haven't touched the stuff before or after the trip) Some friends in San Francisco asked me if I came out there, what tourist type places I'd like to see, and the only one I could think of was Alcatraz.

Or maybe it's that everyone I'm talking to wants me to go look at trees and hills and shit. I would actually be interested in seeing old gothic churches and castles, that's the kind of stuff I've never been able to see in person.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »
Unfortunately, I haven't had the time or the funds over the last couple of years to do much travelling. Maybe that will change in 2017.