Author Topic: Rogers is garbage  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Rogers is garbage
« on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 07:45:09 PM »
So throughout the month the internet just drops on a regular basis. Happened twice when playing Overwatch and it didn't get come back in time to rejoin. This time I got suspended

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Rogers is garbage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 08:10:25 PM »
Happened again and now I've been banned for longer. Will get permanently blocked if it happens again.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »
Man, that really sucks. Are there any alternatives? Do you know if these are like major outages, or could it just be something local to the property that you're living at?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 09:56:33 PM »
Unfortunately, I am on a year long contract. It's not my property but the Richmond Hill area. I check online every time and people are complaining with similar issues in cities hours away.

So I tried again after an hour. We were winning in Overwatch when it happened again and I got kicked off. Feeling panic, I checked and as luck would have it, there is an open wi-fi in the neighborhood with a faint signal. I connected and was in the game, but the lag was awful. I couldn't participate at all. I just didn't want to get kicked off. Fortunately, the team won the game without me so not perma-banned yet. Will lay off it till it is sorted out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, November 13, 2016, 11:27:09 PM »
What a drag, man. Hope you can get it sorted out. Have you tried contacting the company about it directly?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 14, 2016, 12:24:20 AM »
Yup. They say it is some issue in the area etc. :P Oh well. :P I had just climbed up from 1300 to 1600... now knocked down. :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 14, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »
If you're receiving sub-par service you should be able to complain your way out of that contract.  I'm guessing.  I don't know what I'm talking about.  Does it sound like any of the other ISPs are better in that neighbourhood?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 14, 2016, 08:34:55 AM »
We had an intermittent issue here some months ago, similar to your woes.  It would perform erratically, working fine for a while, then dropping out for hours.  I spoke to several support people working for the local Roadrunner, who tried to be helpful, but weren't.  Eventually I got in touch with Warner Cable (now Charter) directly, told them I needed reliable 24/7 internet, and that if they couldn't provide it, I'd be forced to move to their competition (FiOs, through the phone company)--reluctantly, because I'd rather stay with Warner (the devil that I know).  After that, it got fixed.  I'm sure it was some hardware in the area--cracked cable or marginal amp or distribution hub kinda thing.  Whatever it was, they fixed it.  You don't have that option, going by your posts.  That really sucks.  Maybe you can find an alternative anyway, and bite the bullet on the expense until this all gets sorted.  I know you can use a modern cell phone to create a hot spot, for example.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 14, 2016, 01:19:06 PM »
Here is my interaction with them on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RogersHelps/status/798009703590543361

I think it is specific to certain streets. Strangely, I found the same issues in cities far away but it didn't seem to be a widespread problem. People complaining said it seemed like some sort of interference and was going on with their TVs also.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 11:46:48 PM »
Rogers... haha. Sorry Pug!