Author Topic: Issue getting solved: Forza Horizon 3 blocks access unless new DLC is bought  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Issue getting solved: Forza Horizon 3 blocks access unless new DLC is bought
« on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 06:32:13 AM »
I've been around so long that I start to think I've seen the worst possible negligence and chicanery imaginable in this industry.  This reminds me that things can always sink further.

Forza Horizon 3 just got its first expansion, Blizzard Mountain, yesterday.  Along with the not-free expansion comes a mandatory game update, which prepares the game for the expansion.  After the update, the game takes the player through some cutscenes, and eventually to a screen where they can press A to buy the expansion, and B to back out.  Except that B does not back out.  B does nothing.  At this point, the player is stuck with no recourse but to exit the game.

Here is a thread on the issue.  It also links a reddit thread where some else is experiencing this.  I have not found a single post claiming that playing the game is still easily possible without buying the expansion.  I have been looking.

Luckily for me, I always wait a day or two before allowing changes to my game.  So I have dodged this update, and can still play offline.  I will not be blackmailed into buying this expansion.

As is typical for them, Playground Games and Turn 10 are completely ignoring their player base.  They haven't said a word about this.  I think they need questions from quarters less easily held in contempt.  So I'm putting this out there.  Hope springs eternal.

Edit:  They're now working on a permanent fix, and issued a workaround.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 17, 2016, 08:04:55 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Attention, gaming press: Forza Horizon 3 blocks access unless new DLC is bought
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »
Wow, thats pretty bad. Hopefully its just a bug they can fix.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Attention, gaming press: Forza Horizon 3 blocks access unless new DLC is bought
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 16, 2016, 12:41:57 AM »
That is super bad. Have to wonder if that's a bug or a "bug".

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 16, 2016, 05:09:14 AM »
That is super bad. Have to wonder if that's a bug or a "bug".

That's just it.  The appearance of impropriety must be avoided as much as impropriety.  This is a long-standing principle.  Here we have alarming appearance of impropriety, yet nothing has been said or done to allay it.  Nothing.

They can always claim later that it was a "bug", and that a fix is coming, and "we apologize for the inconvenience".  (That phrase should be a Class-C misdemeanor.  It certainly disturbs my peace.)  Meanwhile, they've been strong-arming a lot of weak people into buying something they weren't going to, just so they can keep playing.

They'll get away with it too.  No one but little 'ol me seems to be calling them out on it outside the confines of their forums.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 16, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »
Yeah, that's really a drag. I guess it's hard to prove, so nobody wants to throw stones. But it certainly does seem shady if they're not bending over backward to make things right.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 16, 2016, 10:20:48 PM »
No stones necessary.  Just report the facts, and let them speak for themselves.  But no one is doing that.  It's like nobody cares.  No watchdogs, so the sheep get slaughtered.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 17, 2016, 01:08:33 AM »
I rarely ever read anything these days, so I guess I haven't followed. If people aren't even reporting it, that's certainly a massive dereliction of duty.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 17, 2016, 07:22:57 AM »
For now, a workaround:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst85443_Stuck-on-Buy-Now-screen-for-Blizzard-Mountain---Workaround.aspx
If you're stuck at the "Buy Now" screen for Blizzard Mountain in-game and can't back out, then please follow the below steps as a temporary workaround whilst we work on issuing a permanent fix.

1 - Load up Forza Horizon 3 and get to the "Buy Now" screen you are stuck at.
2 - Use the Xbox Guide button to go back to the dash and open up the Forza Hub App. Please don't shut the game down
3 - Open up the Blizzard Mountain is Here! Story on the Forza Hub App.
4 - Press the black "Play Now" button on the first page of the story and then press continue when prompted
5 - Go back to the game and you should now be able to back out of the "Buy Now" screen

About whether if this will happens over and over again or not:
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postsm642579_posts.aspx#post_642579
No, just the once. That screen won't appear again.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 17, 2016, 08:01:04 AM »
Damn you!  :P  J/K  Ninja'd by D again!

I came in here to post exactly that.  So hopefully it will be fixed soon.  I don't trust workarounds.  I think I'll stick to playing offline without the latest update for a while.  Everyone who's online is doing expansion stuff anyway, so it's not like I'll be missing much.