Author Topic: Nintendo Switch: March 3rd, $299, region free  (Read 4263 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Nintendo Switch: March 3rd, $299, region free
« on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 11:43:12 PM »
Watch the presentation.

New Mario game, that open world Zelda is a launch title, Splatoon 2, some other interesting stuff. It seems like a cool system.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Nintendo Switch: March 3rd, $299, region free
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 12:38:19 AM »
Feedback has been fairly negative, seems like, I think largely because people didn't like the presentation. It certainly made me miss Iwata a little, but all of these things are corporate horseshit, so whatever. I liked what I saw. Only stuff that seems lame is lack of launch titles and paid online multiplayer. Oh, and buying extra controllers is nuts expensive. Beyond that, I really liked what I saw and am actually interested in this. Also: REGION FREE THANK GOD

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 07:37:54 AM »
I just think that their days as a hardware company are coming to a rapid close.  I understand that they have all sorts of interesting ideas about gaming, but the problem is that their market of buyers that appreciate their ideas is rapidly dwindling.

At this point, I think they should just pull a Sega.  I think they'd be more successful than Sega at this strategy too.  If they wait much longer, they are going to find that the number of people interested in their software will be shrinking as well as fewer and fewer people are being exposed to it due to the lackluster hardware sales.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 09:21:12 AM »
Aside from a few flubs (e.g., Suda--someone fire that translator) and slow sections, what was wrong with that?  I thought it was a fine presentation.  It explained the hardware in detail (looks very cool), showed examples of it in action, and showcased the games, some of which are going to be hard for me to ignore.

The price should be fine for whoever already wants this.  But it's not very competitive in the spectrum of available consoles.  Its mutable nature is probably its strongest selling point for the, er, game-agnostic?

Edit:  I don't know, Scott.  My interest in what I saw today is much higher than my interest in the Wii U during its official reveal.  Let's see if my tilt is at all representative of the typical prospective buyer.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 09:56:34 AM »
The Switch is certainly more exciting than the Wii U but I worry that's its mutable nature might actually turn out to be its weakness, spreading it too thin trying to appeal to diverse demographics e.g. portable and living room gaming simultaneously.

I'm glad its region-free, less headaches for people like me, but I still feel hesitant about Nintendo's general approach to the software and network infrastructure side of things. That's the main reason I never went for anything Nintendo since the GBA.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
Snipperclips looks amazingly fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »
This is the most interested I've been in a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. If they learn some lessons and fix problems with the ecosystem, which they probably won't, and fix issues with lack of games, which with better third party support they really might, it could be a true winner. The portability will be great for me too, because frankly, I use my handhelds AT HOME more than I do TV consoles. I just never sit down to play a game for a long period on TV anymore, basically ever. But my handhelds? Just keep them at my desk and pick them up periodically, play em on the can for a few minutes, or while I'm cooking something now and again.

Also, I was skeptical about the new Zelda, but the trailer at the presentation looked awesome. I'm interested. Mario looked interesting too. And I'm really, really hoping there will be some sort of ability to play some older Wii games too, like the Mario Galaxy games, since this has at least the potential to do that. Might be wishful thinking, but we'll see.

Offline ender

« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 16, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »
I tried to pre-order one on the day of... and it was sold out by the time the page loaded :(

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 16, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
I followed the news on that.  Gamestop apparently had them the longest, but even they are out now.

If they keep to their current release schedule, this thing should be a very hot item for Christmas this year.  Mario Odyssey will sell a lot of systems to parents, among others.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 16, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
I had considered it, but then financial circumstances for the foreseeable future changed rather a lot, so there is no chance now. Guess I'll be missing another Nintendo generation. Ah well!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 16, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
What will be interesting is if they put the next Pokemon on it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 02:26:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/Salazzle/status/821443443910131712

Holy giggles.  Noscript was blocking ytimg.com, which is why I couldn't make sense of the link yesterday.  K-man's post led me to investigate.

Here is the full-res original.  Oh, my face hurts.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »
Thanks for linking that, I never thought to go find the original. haha

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 07:11:09 PM »
That is amazing.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 07:27:01 PM »
It's been pretty negative, the reaction, but I didn't think it was so bad. I am excited about the console.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2017, 11:19:15 PM »
All the heavy negativity I've seen comes from trolls and fanboys.  The more intelligent criticisms are not too bad, and mostly a matter of opinion.  Whether system power and price are problems depends strictly on individual opinion.  The thin game lineup can be fixed over time.  I see this as the key variable, more than anything else.  Nothing is a showstopper, yet.

Nintendo found a way to marry a home console to a portable.  The hardware power may not measure up to a PS4's, but it doesn't need to.  You can't pull a tablet out of a PS4 slot, and keep playing your game on the way out the door.  I see that as a plus in the current gaming landscape.  It allows competent access to both worlds.  I hope they win on this one.  I hate to think what will become of the Nintendo we know if they fail at hardware again.  Super Mario Run is already depressing enough.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Friday, December 08, 2017, 01:42:06 AM »
Welp. I bought a Switch.

I basically decided to sell my PS4. I haven't been using the damn thing at all for pretty much anything, there's nothing I want to play that I can't play elsewhere, and while it's clearly the superior console over the Xbone, it just doesn't have the type of stuff I'm looking for or have the time for. Nintendo really got a lot of things right that I look for in a console, especially being region-free, allowing multiple Nintendo accounts from different regions, and language options (including Japanese) even for many domestic games. It just seemed like the better fit.

No complaints at all thus far. I've got Mario Odyssey and Zelda, and both are amazing games that are a joy to play. I love being able to take the thing out of the dock and take it with me upstairs or even just over to my PC to kick back while I watch something, then throw it back in when I want to really dig in for a longer session. Too busy right now to do all that much with it, so have only played a couple hours of each game, but that time has been a real joy, and so friendly and nice ... something I'm needing right now amidst the stress of a new relationship, tons of future planning, and finals.

Pretty surprised that I decided to go this route, as I don't think I've ever "traded" out one console for another before, but it feels like the right move. I have no doubt there will be many other great games on PS4 before its life is over, but it just feels like I'm unlikely to play them. Bloodborne 2 is the only thing I'm really worried about, and the friend I'm selling the PS4 to told me I could borrow it back for a bit if Bloodborne 2 happens, so ... what's there to worry about?

But man, I am really enjoying Odyssey and Zelda. Zelda in particular is ... almost dangerous right now since I have to finish up the semester. I hope to get some serious time to play them during the break. I'm enthralled. And I really like the system. The controls feel good to me, the unit itself feels well-built and light, doesn't get super hot, and I have zero complaints about the graphics it's outputting. Both games look stellar on the TV, and perfectly fine on the small screen. At this stage of my life I'm no longer interested in things just being amazing looking and crazy powerful for their own sake. These look great for what they are, and that's more than good enough for me.

Bought a memory card, some tempered glass, and one of those dock covers people on etsy are selling. I think I'm reasonably complete now, and these games should keep me busy for a long time. Playing Zelda in Japanese is a challenge, but I'm doing better than I thought with the language, and the screenshot feature makes it super easy for me to make flashcards out of everything. How cool is that?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Friday, December 08, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »
Awesome.  I've been quite tempted myself, but the overall price tag would climb well over $400.  (Gotta have both those games and a real controller--oh yeah, memory cards too.)  Zelda is indeed dangerous.  It has been a stellar distraction from reality for me since October.  I finally let myself finish the main story about a week ago.  I had put it off for so long.  The game is very difficult to put down once you really fall into its world.  Hundreds of hours will vanish.  So be careful.  You get to play the definitive version too, lucky sod.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Friday, December 08, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »
Yeah, this was not a, er ... cheap option. Obviously selling my PS4 eliminates a portion of that burden, but definitely not the whole of it. Thankfully I don't feel the need for a controller. I honestly think the joycons are perfectly fine. They're a little small and light, but I've had zero problem doing anything with them. I've been using them separately, though, not attached to the grip thing. Very comfy for just lying around on the couch. I've definitely heard people complaining about them, but I don't see it. I feel like I'm maybe slightly less precise with the sticks, but whatever. Platforming and stuff has felt fine so far.

But yeah, the rest of that shit definitely adds up. Not a cheap endeavor. I'm planning to sell some more of my stuff over the break to make some of it back up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #21 on: Friday, December 08, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »
At last night's The Game Awards:
Bayonetta 1+2 bundle was announced for Switch last night.
Bayonetta 3 is coming and it's Switch exclusive.

GameSpot on Bayonetta series to Switch:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bayonetta-3-revealed-as-nintendo-switch-exclusive/1100-6455491/

Bayonetta 3 Teaser Trailer:

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, December 23, 2017, 12:40:52 AM »
Switch duders, hit me up! Let's play some Splatoon or Mario Kart or something!

Also yes, that says "Quemaqua" in Japanese.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 10:13:39 PM »
Wait, they're still using friendcodes?

I'm selling this thing.