Author Topic: Going Back To Morrowind  (Read 2939 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Going Back To Morrowind
« on: Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 07:08:33 PM »
I first played Morrowind when I was about 19 years old...hated it. I wasn't used to a game where you had true freedom. It took me several times restarting the game (and a written journal) to actually get into the the game. I'm black, so I played as a Redguard...stole a lot of shit. Even found a a cheat where you could hold the sneak button down behind certain enemies and people, go to sleep and wake up with 100% sneak ability. I had fun with Morrowind, but never really dived into it.

Morrowind was the first Elder Scrolls game I played, when I heard about Skyrim, I played Oblivion first. I enjoyed it, once again, I was a black criminal...this time with a bow and arrow. I left that for Skyrim, which I also enjoyed. I thought I enjoyed it, after putting hours into a a dark elf who could do everything I lost my saves. I didn't want to play Skyrim again and I haven't in years. I didn't realize how repetitive and simple it was until I was forced to start over. I started Morrowind over several times because I felt like I had missed elements of gameplay...so back to Morrowind.

This time, no black people, no sneak thiefing while I sleep. I'm going as a dark elf, alchemy/magic/bow user. I never even thought about using any of those characteristics before and it changes the game completely. I hope the next Elder Scrolls games takes out the hand holding, brings in some complexity and allows players to experiment.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Going Back To Morrowind
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 09:16:28 PM »
Tough game to go back to since it's so dated in some ways, but man do I love that game. So much interesting stuff, crazy little details about the world that take real work to uncover. Oblivion was a nice upgrade in so many ways, but lost some of the mystery ... Skyrim was also a nice upgrade but lost the mystery almost completely. Morrowind is rough, and tough to play due to both wonkiness and age, but I think it's still a really rewarding world to explore with a much better handling of the fiction than the games that came after it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
I think the switch to voice acting in the games post-Morrowind ended up being detrimental to the games that followed.  Ken Ralston agreed with that sentiment.  Morrowind just feels deeper in every conceivable way.  I do hope to get around to playing through it one of these days.  I have made a few earnest attempts, but life circumstances always seemed to sabotage them.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 01, 2017, 04:08:39 PM »
I dumped probably 500 hours into that game at least over the course of several characters. If you can get past the wonk, it's a thing of beauty.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 02, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »
I remember spending a lot of hours just exploring the world. I never even got far into the main plot; maybe a few missions in and that's it. Always wanted to get back into it, but not sure if I'll ever get to it.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 02, 2017, 09:06:09 PM »
Tough game to go back to since it's so dated in some ways, but man do I love that game. So much interesting stuff, crazy little details about the world that take real work to uncover. Oblivion was a nice upgrade in so many ways, but lost some of the mystery ... Skyrim was also a nice upgrade but lost the mystery almost completely. Morrowind is rough, and tough to play due to both wonkiness and age, but I think it's still a really rewarding world to explore with a much better handling of the fiction than the games that came after it.

I won't lie, the game looks ugly nowadays, but I never realized how much of it I missed. When you compare Morrowind, even Oblivion, to Skyrim, the developers got lazy. They didn't make it simpler for the gamers, they just took shortcuts. I happily played Morrowind and Oblivion without having to delve too deeply into other types of character builds I had no interest in. I'm not sure what to expect from the next Elderscrolls game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 03, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »
"I hope the next Elder Scrolls games takes out the hand holding, brings in some complexity and allows players to experiment."

I am resigned to the fact that that's just not going to happen ever with any game.

Compare Morrowind to Daggerfall, and people felt the former was dumbed down.

Dragon Age was a pretty dumb compared to Baldur's Gate 2 or NWN, but then the went even further with DA2. DA3 is better but not great. Same with most other franchises.

Take even System Shock 2 and compare it to Bioshock, which had childish mechanics by comparison. It just keeps getting worse. Deus Ex... Fallout... the list goes on.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 03, 2017, 03:35:52 PM »
We're going to keep dumbing things down and eventually we'll raise an entire generation of Bastion mains.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 10, 2017, 04:29:47 AM »
I think the age of complex games are over. I think if we want a game with Morrowind's depth, it will have to come from an indie developer. So, of course it won't be as polished and will get destroyed in the reviews...whether its bad or not.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 25, 2019, 03:40:10 PM »
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is FREE for today only on Bethesda.Net Launcher and/or on their website.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind — Log in or sign up on Bethesda.net to redeem a free PC copy of Morrowind with the code TES25TH-MORROWIND. Act fast – this offer is only available March 25! Visit here to redeem.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 25, 2019, 10:43:20 PM »
Thanks, I got it. I don't think I'll go back and play it but hooray for digital hoarding!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 03:57:21 PM »
If anyone needs a good modern-era Source Port for TES3: Morrowind, here you go...
OpenMW.