Author Topic: Manveer Heir (Mass Effect Andromeda dev) is an unabashed racist  (Read 8409 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Manveer Heir (Mass Effect Andromeda dev) is an unabashed racist
« on: Friday, March 10, 2017, 06:52:43 AM »
I will not be buying this game because this consummate racist is prominently involved with it.  I may find another way to play it, sometime.

Alterrnate source

One more, for good measure.

A sign of the times, I supposed, that this clear, plain-English hatred of an entire race of human beings doesn't even get acknowledged by the mainstream press.  It's one thing to have a "progressive" political agenda injected into videogames.  It's quite another for a prominent developer employed by a huge influential corporation to openly advocate discrimination and outright abuse on the basis of race.  All one has to do for proper empathy on this is to substitute the word "white" with the word "black" wherever it appears in his hateful rants.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Manveer Heir (Mass Effect Andromeda dev) is an unabashed racist
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 10, 2017, 04:43:29 PM »
I certainly don't advocate for making some of the clearly way over the line statements he's made, but yeah, nobody gives a shit because white dudes are in power. Mocking white people isn't a sensitive issue because, frankly, even most white people don't give a shit. I certainly don't. Yell all you want, we're still kind of in the top slot.

Which I don't say as a "hey, isn't it great I'm white" comment. It's just a fact. I'm very critical of current power structures that shit on certain groups of people so other groups can stay in power. In general those who belong to groups under the thumb of others at some point rebel most of the time. This is a stage of social development well known to anyone who studies intercultural communications in this kind of context, a stage of separation before (ideally) a healthier integration. White people who continue to grow tend to go through it too in regards to white culture before coming out the other side with a more complete perspective. I have plenty of non-white friends and associates I routinely joke with about white people in general, and we will happily speak to each other in real terms about issues of privilege and power. Don't suspect a discussion like that with this dude would be especially productive, but he seems a bit more openly hostile than the average. (That said, I don't disagree with a lot of his assertions, and that list of tweets is more critical of white power structure than outright "racist" ... though he certainly veers into that territory on multiple occasions, and you're right, it's as ugly there as it is in any other context.)

Either way, it's really not surprising that nobody's reported much on it. It's a guy virtually nobody knows even if they like video games, unless they're like us and they know way too much (or are especially big fans of the studio), and he's one who hasn't really made enough big, public waves to get a bunch of eyes on the fact that he's said any of this. The games press rarely reports on stuff like this regardless. You'll see some white guys get bashed for things once in a blue moon when something comes out, but that's got little if anything to do with political or cultural bias so much as it does the fact that most of those white guys are way, way, way more well known. Walk up to a random gamer and say "Manveer Heir" and see how many of them know who you're talking about. Say "John Carmack" or "Palmer Lucky" and watch the numbers skyrocket.

This is an issue in games journalism in general, where the readership is really fairly small and even among them, many readers are not especially well informed. And more mainstream press like news outlets and such don't touch games or game industry stuff very often in anything but a niche critical capacity and for the occasional huge business movement. They're certainly not going to do a bunch of arm-flapping trying to get people's attention about some guy nobody outside of games even has a chance of having heard of.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 10, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »
If you said "developer behind EA's Mass Effect franchise" instead of his name, the racism would still go unrecognized in the mainstream press.  This guy actually got praised for promoting diversity, while he advocates not hiring any more white people, and excluding them in general.  This push from the left has regressed into pure fascism, and the most alarming thing about it is that so many refuse to see it, either out of fear of reprisal, or a belief that it's OK to discriminate on the basis of race, so long as that race happens to be white.

It's unconstitutional to discriminate based on race.  The Civil Rights Act is not about disenfranchising Caucasians, and handing the entire pie to people of color.  It's about equality under the law, something which is flatly impossible under the current leftist dogma.

Look at it another way:  How long before this culture war becomes a shooting war, if hateful pricks like him in positions of authority start succeeding in such intentions?  There are some very practical reasons for preserving balance and equality of opportunity.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 10, 2017, 08:00:44 PM »
I agree entirely, but we're in absolutely zero danger of any of that happening. For the time being. Pendulum always swings, but there's very little one can do about that.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 10, 2017, 09:47:18 PM »
I hope you're right, man.  The last few months have woken me up to a hornets' nest I wish I was still blissfully ignorant about.  I'm going to need time to put it all into perspective.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 13, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
Another idiot who found an audience on Twitter. The internet is a wonderful place to find information on anyone and shit like that tends to come around and bite you in the ass eventually.

Cobra you are definitely right that if his posts were against anyone else there would be more noise, but it's more or less "ok" to throw shit around against Caucasians and most people are fine with it as Que brought up in his post. It's still racism of course, but hey, it just makes people like this guy look stupid in the long run.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 19, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »
He's "left" BioWare apparently:

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, 11:50:25 PM »
I just realized that this is the same guy who was Twitter arguing with Adam Orth about the Xbone's always on connectivity, leading to Orth being let go from MS.  Small world.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »
I remain on his side on that one.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 24, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »
I don't know why I thought Que was KMan this whole thread. I think it was that goofy avatar. It seems more Kman.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 25, 2017, 12:23:50 AM »
I'm trying to change my image.