Author Topic: Prey (2017) -- PC requirements revealed + no FOV slider at launch  (Read 3343 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Prey (2017) -- PC requirements revealed + no FOV slider at launch
« on: Thursday, April 27, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
Bethesda.Net - Prey (2017) PC requirements revealed.

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum
CPU: Intel i5-2400, AMD FX-8320
GPU: GTX 660 2GB, AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
Memory: 8 GB

Recommended
CPU: Intel i7-2600K, AMD FX-8350
GPU: GTX 970 4GB, AMD R9 290 4GB
Memory: 16 GB

PC DRIVERS
We’ll update this post with the driver information soon. Stay tuned!

PC ADVANCED SETTINGS
Object Detail
Shadow Quality
Texture Quality
Anisotropic Filtering
Anti-Aliasing
Horizontal Field of View
Screen Space Directional Occlusion
Screen Space Reflections
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 04, 2017, 04:34:30 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Prey (2017)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 27, 2017, 08:07:19 PM »
[Place-holder]

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Prey (2017) -- PC requirements revealed + no FOV slider at launch
« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 05, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
I can report the game is definitely running smooth on my GTX 1080, despite a few people complaining on the Steam forums. Based on my experience it looks great and is seems to have been optimized for PC.

It doesn't feel like a port although some UI elements were clearly designed with gamepads in mind; in particular the menus with multiple sections that are evidently designed to be navigated using d-pad, triggers, and shoulder buttons. On PC you use WASD to move the cursor, Q and E to switch sections, and Shift and Tab to shuffle subsections. You can also use the mouse to highlight inventory items but you have use F to select and then G to use after you have selected the item, so it feels kinda wonky.

Arkane are certainly trying to appease to the PC crowd by ensuring the game is running well. However, the UI team might not have gotten the memo.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 05, 2017, 02:49:07 PM »
@Xessive
Something would be terribly wrong if a very beastly 8GB GTX 1080 (or above) can't handle ANY game. I would expect at especially 1080p or even 1440p, you'd be on a Dream Street w/ 60FPS butter smooth at least.
I would be very curious to hear how those w/ say 960's; 970's (yes, I have a 970); 1050's; and 1060's are running this game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 06, 2017, 01:14:01 AM »
@Xessive
Something would be terribly wrong if a very beastly 8GB GTX 1080 (or above) can't handle ANY game. I would expect at especially 1080p or even 1440p, you'd be on a Dream Street w/ 60FPS butter smooth at least.
I would be very curious to hear how those w/ say 960's; 970's (yes, I have a 970); 1050's; and 1060's are running this game.
Well, on launch don't be surprised when things don't go smoothly.

On my GTX 1080, Dishonored 2 had some major issues on launch. Aside from being locked to 30fps at first it had serious hiccups while playing even on the lowest settings. They released a patch really quickly though that unlocked the frame limiter by default and fixed all the other issues.

A lot of people were concerned Prey would have similar issues since it's by the same developer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, May 06, 2017, 04:46:14 AM »
@Xessive

Yeah, but I don't think modern-day CryEngine Games (at least since the original Crysis) is usually too tough to get a game running properly, TBH. Ever since Crytek make it more scale-able since Crysis 2, it's been a decent engine for any dev' to really pick from. CryEngine powers Prey 2017, BTW.

Id Tech 5 that powered RAGE - which is Arkane used for Dishonored 2, BTW - and also used on both MachineGames' Wolfenstein TNO + TOB & Tango Gameworks' The Evil Within - was never properly optimized from the jump on the PC. All of those games had stiff requirements + ran like ass upon release on a lot of systems. RAGE still runs like ass in most instances for me + The Evil Within runs okay, but not spectacular at all.

Id Tech 6 runs a million times better - i.e. see Doom 2016.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, May 06, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
@Xessive

Yeah, but I don't think modern-day CryEngine Games (at least since the original Crysis) is usually too tough to get a game running properly, TBH. Ever since Crytek make it more scale-able since Crysis 2, it's been a decent engine for any dev' to really pick from. CryEngine powers Prey 2017, BTW.

Id Tech 5 that powered RAGE - which is Arkane used for Dishonored 2, BTW - and also used on both MachineGames' Wolfenstein TNO + TOB & Tango Gameworks' The Evil Within - was never properly optimized from the jump on the PC. All of those games had stiff requirements + ran like ass upon release on a lot of systems. RAGE still runs like ass in most instances for me + The Evil Within runs okay, but not spectacular at all.

Id Tech 6 runs a million times better - i.e. see Doom 2016.
Well, the Void engine of Dishonored 2 was a modified IdTech 5 not the "pure" version of it. Honestly though, it ran well after the first patch.

IdTech 6 is smooth as butter especially when running it via Vulkan!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 07, 2017, 06:46:23 AM »
For people that own BOTH Prey 2006 on Steam + Prey 2017 on Steam - be careful.

Giant Bomb on Quick Look at 12:56 mention you CANNOT have Steam-versions of both installed at once (at least on the same drive) - https://youtu.be/lY4ZHKrAqlc?t=776
Prey 2017 uses SAME Steam-folder directory as Prey 2006. WTH?
Also been talked about on NeoGAF - http://www.neogaf.co...1368643&page=13

If you have Prey 2006 from retail on disc (i.e. the Non-Steam version) - you could install Prey Classic wherever you want (probably don't want to name the folder Prey, just to stay safe); patch it up to 1.4 (DRM-check removal patch - you can get that from 3D Realms' Web Site); and just run that version of the game.
You can always add that as Non-Steam game, to do screenshots + all of that stuff. Tested it, works fine.

Also, Prey 2006 retail-disc keys can be activated on Steam. Check the back of your Prey 2006 manual for the key + register that onto Steam.

Also - yeah, you might to download Prey 2006 Steam-version and back it up elsewhere before you mess around with it - since it's only around 1.7 GB or so. Probably easier to back that up than whatever size say Prey 2017 is.
Plus, Prey 2006 is no longer getting updates anyways - and that likely won't change. We already known Prey 2017 will be getting updates, at least to fix up FoV issues.

Since Prey 2006 Steam-version's EXE is protected w/ Steam-DRM, that version doesn't work without Steam. So, if you have both Retail + Steam-versions - you could do this:
1. You might want to back-up the old Steam-version Prey.exe somewhere, for back-up purposes.
2. Copy the DRM-FREE version of Prey.EXE into the Steam-version's folder.
3. Re-name Steam-version of Prey 2006's actual game folder (i.e. rename it to Prey 2006, Prey Classic, or whatever - i.e. rename it to anything but Prey, since Prey 2017 wants that directory)
4. Add your Prey 2006's own Prey.exe as Non-Steam game.
Tested it; works fine. :)

Also, PROFILE Folder/Saved-game folders for Prey 2006 + 2017 are different - so, at least those two have different directories for Profiles.
Prey 2006 profiles goes in My Documents\My Games\PREY
Prey 2017 profiles looks like it goes in My Documents\My Games\Arkane Studios\Prey, according to PC Gaming Wiki for Prey 2017.

I don't have Prey 2017 yet - but I guess you could always puts Steam-versions of Prey 2006 + 2017 on maybe different hard-drives?
Not sure if Prey 2017 would overwrite Prey 2006, if they are installed on separate drives.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 07, 2017, 07:27:10 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 12, 2017, 04:19:41 PM »
Dan Stapleton of IGN gave Prey 2017 a 4.0 b/c he hit a game-breaking bug + couldn't progress further in the game:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/11/prey-review-2

If the PC version of Prey hadn’t become completely unplayable from crashes and save-game corruption just as it was hitting its stride, I’d have called it a very good or perhaps even great game. Its strange alternate-history universe, sidequests, hidden threats, and detailed environmental storytelling make Talos I a joy to explore, one that’s well worth slogging through combat that doesn’t feel fresh enough to sustain it throughout a long game. But there’s little so frustrating in a game in which you’ve invested dozens of hours as having your progress wiped out or blocked before the end, and my time with Prey concluded so poorly that I can’t in good conscience recommend you risk hitting the same game-breaking bug I did.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 12:27:19 AM »
Dan Stapleton of IGN gave Prey 2017 a 4.0 b/c he hit a game-breaking bug + couldn't progress further in the game:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/11/prey-review-2
So without the bug he was gonna give it an 8/10? He didn't mention a numerical value but his impression seems very positive in spite of the bug. Then again, that bug is worth 30%-40% of his score?!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 06:23:55 AM »
What surprised me is that a major gaming site published a review that accounts for the dismal technical state of a game at release, rather than giving it the usual pass on tech issues.  ("They'll patch it.")  I wish this became the norm.  More likely, it's a one-off.  If it did become the norm, then devs should get a chance to fix the game-killing issues, after which a revised score can be published alongside the original score.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, May 13, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »
Scores continue to be a stupid waste of time. So now everyone is outraged at Dan Stapleton for scoring low a game he couldn't finish, ignoring the fact that he largely liked it. Remove the score, the text reads fine, from what I saw.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, May 14, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »
Dan Stapleton of IGN re-reviews Prey 2017 PC version to 8.0, since the bugs + save-file corruption issues have been fixed in the latest patch:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/13/prey-review-2

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, May 14, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »
What surprised me is that a major gaming site published a review that accounts for the dismal technical state of a game at release, rather than giving it the usual pass on tech issues.  ("They'll patch it.")  I wish this became the norm.  More likely, it's a one-off.  If it did become the norm, then devs should get a chance to fix the game-killing issues, after which a revised score can be published alongside the original score.

Scores continue to be a stupid waste of time. So now everyone is outraged at Dan Stapleton for scoring low a game he couldn't finish, ignoring the fact that he largely liked it. Remove the score, the text reads fine, from what I saw.

IMHO - game-breaking bugs; un-able to progress further in the game (especially in the main quest); and save-corruption issues are all pretty much easy things to score a game as either Incomplete or Very Low with a 4.0.
It should've never shipped like that, in the first bloody place.

Of course, the issue was patched-out and he re-scored the game to 8.0

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, May 14, 2017, 01:15:41 PM »
IMHO - game-breaking bugs; un-able to progress further in the game (especially in the main quest); and save-corruption issues are all pretty much easy things to score a game as either Incomplete or Very Low with a 4.0.
It should've never shipped like that, in the first bloody place.

Hear, hear.

Of course, the issue was patched-out and he re-scored the game to 8.0

Oh?  Perfect, almost.  He lit a fire under their asses, and they did what they should have upon initial release.  Then they got a score that better reflects the written review.  Almost, because I still think the original score should stay in the picture.  Before and after doing right by the paying customers.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, May 14, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »
Hear, hear.

Oh?  Perfect, almost.  He lit a fire under their asses, and they did what they should have upon initial release.  Then they got a score that better reflects the written review.  Almost, because I still think the original score should stay in the picture.  Before and after doing right by the paying customers.

I do think that reviews on the page should have a date + score, in case games get re-scored - and ALL scores should be on the page and explained why.

I do believe that games can change, majorly improved, and be re-scored - especially since games are services in many ways, theses days.
And also b/c games get re-released editions later, which are also scored on their own sometimes - such as Enhanced Editions, GOTY Editions, Remastered Editions, etc etc.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
Destructoid - Prey 2017 was originally going to allow for players to be able to fly, but they cut that from the game.

When we reviewed Prey, we praised (ha!) its open structure. Arkane created an environment where it's possible to do nearly anything and to go nearly anywhere. The Gloo Cannon is an essential tool to this end, as it allows for free-form traversal via makeshift walkways. With it, the player is able to get to any hard-to-reach spot that isn't locked away.

However, Arkane originally had an idea that would've really removed any locomotive restrictions. According to an interview with PC Gamer, Prey had a flying ability that was left on the cutting room floor. System designer Seth Shain revealed "There was another power that we cut because we just couldn't make it work or make it fun, it didn't hit our quality bar. It was a power that would directly allow you to fly around the space [station]."

Shain explained that apart from not being able to naturally fit it into Prey's gameplay loop, flying would've put extra stress on the art team. He said that they disliked the Gloo Cannon "because they want every square inch of the station to be beautiful, and if the player can get somewhere high up, then they feel they need to make it look good." Flying would have only exacerbated things.

Ultimately, it feels as if Arkane compromised by settling on jet boost in zero-gravity situations and the Gloo Cannon in normal interiors. That was probably a fine concession to make. Prey begs that you explore every nook and cranny, but it also excels at making you feel like you've earned it when you get there. It seems that flying would've felt a bit too overpowered.