Author Topic: Assassin's Creed: Origins  (Read 2461 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Assassin's Creed: Origins
« on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »
GameRant - Rumor is the next AC game Assassin's Creed: Origins might not even have Multiplayer.

I hope this is true, since was AC:S turned-out as great as it did b/c there was no MP component there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Assassin's Creed: Origins
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 04:20:05 PM »
[Place-holder]

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 01:24:19 PM »
The only multiplayer that worked for AC is the coop in Unity. Unfortunately, there was no campaign coop at all. Despite that, the coop gameplay is what kept Unity alive for most (myself included).

Syndicate seemed poised to have a proper coop campaign, since there were two protagonists but they probably ditched the idea to focus on the singleplayer after Unity flopped.

I would love it if they could implement drop-in coop like Ghost Recon Wildlands but I won't complain if we get a fantastic singleplayer game either.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 05, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
PC Gamer - AC:O PC requirements revealed.

Minimum
OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only).
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400s @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-6350 @ 3.9 GHz or equivalent.
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD R9 270 (2048 MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better).
System RAM: 6GB.
Resolution: 720p.
Video Preset: Lowest.

Recommended
OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only).
Processor: Intel Core i7- 3770 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz.
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD R9 280X (3GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better).
System RAM: 8GB.
Resolution: 1080p.
Video Preset: High.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, November 12, 2017, 06:05:56 AM »
We talk about jaded gamers abstractly.  Here's a living example?  I don't know if ACO is good, yet.  He says it is, while nitpicking it apart.  Interesting review.  Thanks for posting it.  I do agree that the overarching story, set in the present, was handled poorly and then abandoned, basically.  That was one of the strongest aspects of the AC premise.  It even made the game feel more plausible.  You don't die when you fail.  (You're in a simulation/dream/memory.)  You desync, and then you can try again.  Combat was pretty piss poor in the early games, so having it change for the better, even if it becomes more generic, is probably a good thing.  I thought combat was quite good in the last three real entries in the series.  Maybe I'll get a chance to see how it compares in Origins.

The one thing he didn't cover is how "recurring player investments" (or is it "recurrent consumer spending"?) affect(s) the overall journey.  That is an absolutely essential part of any competent review of a "triple-A" game, going forward from here.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, November 12, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
We talk about jaded gamers abstractly.  Here's a living example?  I don't know if ACO is good, yet.  He says it is, while nitpicking it apart.  Interesting review.  Thanks for posting it.  I do agree that the overarching story, set in the present, was handled poorly and then abandoned, basically.  That was one of the strongest aspects of the AC premise.  It even made the game feel more plausible.  You don't die when you fail.  (You're in a simulation/dream/memory.)  You desync, and then you can try again.  Combat was pretty piss poor in the early games, so having it change for the better, even if it becomes more generic, is probably a good thing.  I thought combat was quite good in the last three real entries in the series.  Maybe I'll get a chance to see how it compares in Origins.

The one thing he didn't cover is how "recurring player investments" (or is it "recurrent consumer spending"?) affect(s) the overall journey.  That is an absolutely essential part of any competent review of a "triple-A" game, going forward from here.

I was never a big fan of the Desmond gameplay sequences in any of the AC games. Desmond's gameplay - which were often linear, boring, and not handled w/ much to them, namely - though, it did push the modern-day element of the story ahead and it did that story-stuff part well. Of course, with AC3's ending - well, they screwed that modern-day storyline all up and then didn't really handle it very well afterwards...except for AC: Syndicate.

Personally, I thought AC: Syndicate handled the modern-day stuff best, as all the modern sequences were CGI-movie cut-scenes. I do think ALL of the earlier AC's should've done thus approach. I felt like I was rewarded w/ these cut-scenes w/ story & character stuff - not stuck in linear and dull gameplay that never really helped the AC series that was surrounded by interesting story-stuff.

About combat: I think it got much better with Unity and Syndicate. Yeah, it was getting better w/ AC4: BF (and Rogue too, I guess - since Rogue is basically a expansion/sequel to AC4, more or less) - but with AC: Syndicate, it then took more of a combo and Batman Arkham style approach, which really helped things. Haven't played AC:O w/ its mix of Witcher 3/Dark Souls series style combat, so can't speak on that.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 08:31:26 AM »
I agree the modern-day story wasn't handled well.  It went mostly downhill after the first game.  But just think what an awesome premise this is.  It deserved better.  How two time periods and characters connect and interact, the different implications of one on the other, and the functionally separate realities.  It still baffles me how they couldn't make good use of this setup even in that awful movie.  It is a gift from the creative gods.  You're right about what we got.  I'm saying we could (and should) have gotten a good modern-day experience and connected overarching storyline.

When I said "the last three real entries", I wasn't even thinking Rogue (which seems more like a side trip to further utilize the awesome naval setting in IV).  I was thinking Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate.  Each of those I thought improved combat substantially.  I enjoyed all 3 quite a bit.

Yong Yea answers my question about "recurrent consumer spending" in ACO.