Author Topic: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds  (Read 2434 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
« on: Saturday, May 27, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
Steam

Don't know how many of you have heard of this, but it is apparently the new hotness. I read something like 2 million sold already? Based on some Arma mods and the movie Battle Royale, the setup is fairly simple: 100 players drop out of an airplane thats flying over a deserted island. You start with just your fists so you must scour the buildings to find weapons, ammo, backpacks, helmets, kevlar, and all the other equipment you will need to last. Because the aim is to be the last one alive on the island.

But wouldn't the game never end? It's sometimes hard enough to find the last remaining other player in a Counter-Strike map, let alone a whole island! Well, see...ok the game tries to be realistic for the most part except this bit. There is a magical blue circle of electricity that surrounds the island. Every few minutes a new circle appears on the map. That will be the new safe zone, and everywhere outside the safe zone will deal damage to you. The first couple circles don't hurt much, you can hang out in them for a good while before they kill you but later on as the safe zone gets smaller the danger zone deals more damage to the point where only a few seconds in it and you die. It a pressure cooker, forcing all these newly armed people into the same space to murder each other.

I should note that it isn't just you vs 100, you can play in different sized groups as well. Duo has you and a friend while Squad has up to 4 people in a group. The nice part there is you don't die instantly, you get knocked down when your health hits 0. You then bleed out slowly but a teammate can come revive you. Or the guy that shot you can keep shooting you and make sure you're dead. You know, whatever. But you can crawl slowly when you're down so sometimes getting around a corner is enough to get revived and continue on.

It is an Early Access game, so there is a level of jankiness to it that I hope gets worked out. I can't rebind my delete key to the thing I want, cars are actually dangerous to the people inside them as the physics can wig out and flip them or you jump out of a moving vehicle only to be run over by it. Once a few more of those things get ironed out it'll be pretty great.

I just had a match that I did not expect to play well, since I was testing my control bindings (yup, delete key still doesn't work...great). The plane flew along the river near the military base. Most people jumped out there so I'm sure it was a bloodbath. Since I was just planning on screwing around I actually rode the plane until it forced me out. This is where all the AFK'ers and disconnects end up so you can get some easy kills, however I noticed a few other active players skydiving so I decided to land at a house some distance from there. Found a shotgun and a backpack and maybe 20-30 seconds later a player rushed into the house at me and tried to punch me to death. Missed with my first shot, but the second shotgun blast took care of things.

The safe zone shrank and I realized in a few minutes I would be outside of it. Luckily I round a buggy and was able to quickly drive inside the circle. Since the plane skirted the southern edge of the map and there aren't THAT many vehicles it was pretty safe for me to find houses to loot, so I did. Picked up a sniper rifle that comes with its own scope (most other rifles you have to find a scope to attach) and an improved shotgun, plus some armor and a helmet. A pretty good setup. The house I was in had an easy to defend upper floor so I just chilled for a while hearing gunfire in the distance and seeing death notices pop up in the kill feed. New circle and sadly I had to leave my house.

By now there was about 40 people left out of the 97 we started with. I did not take the buggy because after a certain point vehicles are a bad idea. They are loud so they signal that you are coming and where from. Sadly for me a lot of the ground I had to cover was fairly open and I was real scared. Once I made it into the circle I decided to stop and crouch in a bush which is surprisingly good camouflage if the enemy isn't looking too closely, which they usually aren't. Another player passed by me maybe 30 feet away on a hill, but just far enough out of range of my shotgun that giving away my position seemed bad. I opted instead to follow up behind him. There was a lot of gunfire on the other side of the hill so...hey, guess that worked out for me.

About 20 people left and there was gunfire all around, but I needed to get into the safe zone. Sometimes you have to just make a run for it. I approached a house thinking I could duck inside but a man hiding in the bushes just outside it had another idea. I didn't manage to shoot him and I escaped behind a wall with very little health. Used most of my bandages to heal up and tried to track that guy down, but I think I wasn't the only one he had to deal with. More gunfire and the number of players kept dropping.

The circle was finishing up on the top of a hill with only a few trees and a rock for cover. I blasted a guy hiding in a bush which worked out nice for me since he had 5 big medpacks so I could heal back up as much as I could. At this point the circle is tiny and its a waiting game, peeking around trees trying to find the other guy. I spot another player hiding behind a rock and take him out, need to heal up again. I hear gunfire and then this was it...it was the last 2 of us, in the tiniest circle. I spot him, but my shots miss! How!? Back off, reload, wait some more. I see him make a break, more shots! I stand up to take better aim....

Oh well. I saved a short replay clip and watching that it appears while laying on my stomach and shooting the shotgun was causing my shots to hit the ground in front of me. I could have had it! But hey, I still feel pretty good with that run.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 27, 2017, 08:42:04 PM »
There are now 3 of us with this game if anybody is interested in playing! I can attest to the fact that it is janky and weird and bonkers and pretty fun. I didn't think it would be my thing, but I just sort of had to jump in and try it. It's really different.

EDIT - Test run that I uploaded to YouTube. More to follow, including several games with Kman, idol, and myself. Good times! This first run is a little boring, but it showcases the weirdness of this game fairly well. I basically don't see another player until the end of it. And a second, much shorter HD test run.

EDIT x2 - Also, I wrote a thing: http://pk.ign.com/ign-pakistan/15031/feature/first-impressions-ign-pakistan-looks-at-playerunknowns-battl - and the first run with idol and Kman is uploading as we speak.

EDIT x3 - Aaaaand here it is: https://youtu.be/VaOAa6uapeQ ... along with a followup: https://youtu.be/Br4_PGq6ONQ
« Last Edit: Monday, May 29, 2017, 04:30:31 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 29, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »
Bumping again with a new discount code. 25% off Battlegrounds, making it $22.49. The code can be used 3 times and expires on the 14th so let me know if you're interested.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 04, 2017, 07:44:31 PM »

gpw and I get our first win. My clip is rather short, need to change my OBS settings to record longer clips, but gpw has a longer video he'll have up soon.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, July 05, 2017, 06:47:30 AM »
Nice!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, July 05, 2017, 07:29:59 PM »
It was pretty fun.  Idol is a crack shot and an excellent strategist.   

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »
Got my 4th win in duos, so thought I might share some tips I've learned from playing.

1. Always pick up 5.56 and 7.62 ammo.

In the initial looting stage of the game you need to not only find weapons to protect yourself, but also think about what you want your eventual loadout to be. Generally you will want a rifle, and rifles take either 5.56 or 7.62 ammo. Sometimes these spawn by themselves in places, but the revolver takes 7.62 so even if you don't want the revolver (you don't) you can take the ammo that spawns with it. That way when you do find a rifle you will already have plenty of ammo for it. If you're playing in a group you can also share it.

9mm is also all over the place from pistols, uzis, UMPs, and the occasional VSS. I'll pick it all up in the hopes of finding a UMP but not afraid to dump it if I find better weapons.

2. Use terrain as cover.

With the 3rd person camera you can keep your body behind the crest of a hill and peek over to see if anyone is there. Use this to your advantage as much as possible. Similarly think about where people might be, such as on hills or in buildings, and try to put something between you. Even if its just the leaves of a tree, if they can't see you then it's much harder to shoot you.

3. Keep your backpack tidy.

Sometimes you'll swap a shotgun for a rifle and end up with shotgun ammo clogging up your bag. Take a moment and drop it next time you pop the inventory open. You can do this while running or while riding in a vehicle. You might also be holding onto a bunch of attachments for a gun you hope to find, but after a certain point it doesn't make a lot of sense to hold onto it. You've got your loadout and now its mid-game, most buildings are looted or potential death traps, and your main way of getting gear will be taking off someone you kill. Chances are they will have attachments they found or looted from someone else. Which brings me to...

4. Try to think about what you want/need to make looting faster.

Ok so you killed a guy in the middle of a field and it's going to be dangerous to loot. Maybe a sniper heard the shots and turned to look at you, maybe the circle is closing in and you need to move fast! You can still loot but you need to know what you need and what you want. Meds are at the top of the sorting list for a reason.

Boosters (energy drinks and painkillers) are something you ALWAYS take. If you have a lot you can keep yourself topped up which lets you tank more damage and helps you run faster. Loot them, use them, keep looting them.

Med kit/First Aid kit are great to have, but you don't actually need that many. If you have have 4-5 then great. More will take up room that will be sorta wasted. Remember, you'll be using healing when you're getting shot, if you're getting shot you're in a fight, you need to win the fight to win the game, if you win the fight you can loot the other guys kits to restock yourself.

Bandages you are probably good with 10-15. They are more useful to top up after taking more slight damage instead of burning a while first aid kit. Of course if you havent found any first aid then hoard these suckers.

So then after the meds is where it gets harder with a bunch of stuff to scroll through, but here is my advice. Think about if your gun has an attachment slot open, and if this person has a similar gun that might have attachments you can use. ESPECIALLY SCOPES! Scopes sometimes feel really rare and they appear right under meds in the inventory so quickly grab a 4x or 8x if they have one. Does he have a better gun that you'd prefer, then switch it out. What ammo does he have that your gun takes? Does he have a better helmet/vest? Larger backpack? Do you even need a larger backpack?

I always try to remember stuff like "Ok I have a level 2 helmet and vest" so when I get to the body I can quickly glance at the armor the guy has and know if I need it or not. Also in a situation where you need to really move, if you've kept your backpack tidy you can quickly grab a bunch of shit and sort through it later. If it turns out that extended mag isn't actually for your gun then who cares and drop it. At least you weren't sitting still trying to figure it out in the open.

5. You don't always have to take the shot.

This one I still struggle with. Sometimes it is better to not start an engagement, especially if you're not sure you can secure the kill. Plenty of times I've seen people running completely unaware of me and I start shooting at them only to not kill them, give away my own position, and get sniped. Let someone else kill those guys. The only kill you really need to take is the last one for the win.

6. Shoot more

Yay, a contradictory one! You should play some games with the total expectation you will lose, but with a purpose. Practice shooting! No sense looting for 20 minutes only to not have any idea what to do when someone starts shooting at you. The game is kinda janky and there is 3rd person hip fire, 3rd person "aimed" fire, and then first person iron sight/scoped fire. Plus a bunch of weapons to practice with that you'll never know what you'll actually have available in any particular game so practice them all. Jump into cities and other hot areas and just fight. Get more comfortable with the combat and things get so much better.

7. Grenades

Dont forget you have them, they can come in handy. Though I don't pick up flash or molotovs generally. With flashbangs there is a chance of blinding yourself and also no way to really know if you successfully blinded the enemy (if you turn your character model away from the grenade it wont blind you). Molotovs also feel kinda situational for area denial. Frag grenades are one hit kills if they land close enough, and smoke can be a good distraction. They are ideal for the end game circles.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »
Version 1.0 dropped yesterday/today depending on time zone. The previous "live" version was still pretty janky feeling but this new update improved a lot. Vaulting feels good and makes getting around the map easier and more natural feeling. Framerate has improved a ton so I turned everything to ultra and it ran just fine. The new map is really different feeling and mixes things up a lot. Overall a really well done update.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:19:46 PM »
Yeah, surprising how much better it is. Definitely a nice injection of stuff that the game needed. Lots of quality of life improvements too.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
This came out a couple weeks ago on Xbox One and I picked it up, along with a few friends. It's an early and uglier version compared to the PC, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun. I've never really gotten into any of the other battle royale games, but for some reason this one has me hooked. The aiming feels way off on a controller though. There's some serious imput lag, and some nasty aim accelleration. The difficulty in aiming has resulted in heavy vehicle usage, especially near the end. It's not uncommon for a close quarters gunfight to use up a couple mags from each person before anyone hits anything. They recently reduced the weapon recoil across the board to make it easier to shoot, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.