Author Topic: Sonic Mania  (Read 1370 times)

Offline ender

Sonic Mania
« on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 07:10:37 AM »
I downloaded this game last night for Nintendo Switch and played it this morning as I slogged through a terribly delayed NYC subway system (this is the summer of subway hell, everything is breaking down, mass chaos everyday – not fun) and I have to say that it is insanely fun. I love how it stays true to what made the original Sonic games so challenging and fun, with lots of new mechanics that really throw you for a loop.

Since I bought the Nintendo Switch, it has been the only gaming system I've played. It fits my lifestyle and also fills the need for games that are more focused on fun and gameplay than some sort of faux-cinematic storyline. I'm excited that so many quality games have been put out in such a short time and it seems we have even more coming this fall (Mario + Rabbids, Mario Odyssey).

It's great to have games like Sonic Mania that are lighter on the wallet, but also very well designed. The level designs in Sonic Mania, I think are some of the best of the series. They use tropes from the older games, but push them in surprising directions that can become quite challenging – I can see a lot of replay value here to try and achieve better times, ring collection, etc.

Definitely worth $19.99, though I think it's probably best suited for the Switch... I feel like I'm playing a super advanced GameGear – really taking me back.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Sonic Mania
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 15, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
This game has been getting lots of good buzz and I like what videos I have watched of it so far.  I will probably end up getting this after FFXII HD stops consuming my life.

Offline ender

Re: Sonic Mania
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »
It's really great to see a tried and true game be reworked and reimagined by fans. I think it is probably the best Sonic game I've played, because it really ups the challenges and complexity of the levels – there's a little more strategy involved and less speeding through that I remember from the original games. I've had the clock run out a few times when I couldn't figure out certain areas – but as you progress through each level a few times, you get better as the more difficult levels emerge. Really great design.