Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 366 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Monitors
« on: Sunday, September 03, 2017, 01:41:46 PM »
Monitors: the windows to our personal computing devices. The one you have can determine the very basis of how you interface with your machine.

I'm often torn between resolution, refresh/response time, and colour accuracy.

A couple of years ago I picked up the Asus PG278Q aka the Asus ROG Swift. It's 1440p screen with 1ms response time and crank out up to 144Hz with G-Sync support.

It's a TN panel screen but I was surprised with how accurate the colour representation appears on it, considering one of the common downsides of TN panels is their lacking colour accuracy. Its viewing angles are not great but as a desktop monitor I'm generally only ever going to view it from one angle anyway. This was later addressed with its refresh the Asus PG279Q which has a gorgeous IPS panel. However, TN panels are renowned for their speed. Overall, I've been very happy with it.

Fairly recently, I wound up with a 27" curved monitor (Samsung CFG70), which I have been using for the past few months. It's among Samsung's first lineup of "gaming" monitors. It's s 27" 1080p screen with FreeSync, 144Hz, IPS panel. Gorgeous screen but suffers some IPS glow effects (which are random and inevitable). The curved screen was striking at first, I went in assuming it was yet another gimmick and its novelty would soon wear off. But at the distance I normally sit from a monitor, it actually felt a tad more immersive. It eventually became the norm and I adjusted it to it fairly quickly.

Even though it was a lower resolution than I had been using I took the opportunity to run games at 1080p and really get some performance out of them over the past few months. Great times but it's now time to come back to my beloved Asus ROG Swift. This is when I noticed the difference.

Apparently, my eyes were so accustomed to the concave curves of the Samsung CFG70 that now this monitor looks convex! I feel like I'm looking at a classic bubble TV screen! ;D The optical illusion is blowing my mind! I know it's in fact a perfectly flat screen but it looks and feels convex!

I'm sure this will soon wear off as well but it's an interesting experience having assumed the curve screens were just gimmicks.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Monitors
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 19, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »
Ha, that's pretty hilarious

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 21, 2017, 05:59:49 AM »
Yeah, it was weird for a few days.

I've readjusted to the flat screen and all is well.

I think curved screens make more sense for ultrawide monitors (21:9 ratio).

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 12:56:47 AM »
A bit of a bump, but my monitor of 12 years has finally died.  It was a 21" HP monitor with a resolution of 1680x1050 -- at the time, it was quite a decent monitor.  Over the years, I picked up a 20" (in 2010) and a 23" in 2013 and have been using a three monitor setup.  Both of these monitors are cheap -- the 20" cost $100 and and the 23" came with my PC that I ordered from Dell back then.

I think now might be a good time to get a new monitor, and the latest Alienware AW3418DW has caught my eye.  It's an IPS panel with 3440x1440, curved display with G-sync.  It's been getting decent reviews. 

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
I bought a Dell U2415 on sale a few months ago and love it. So much that I may buy another one to complement it.

A 34" curved monitor sounds amazing but I prefer having a two or three monitor setup over that.

I suppose it depends what you do on the monitor though. I use it for work and no gaming so multi-monitor beats size.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »
Yea, one of the drawbacks of having an ultrawide is that it's a single screen with tons of real estate but sometimes productivity can be a challenge.  I've heard there are ways to split the screen space up either using a tool or even Windows' built-in snap features. 

In any event, I will probably keep the 23" on the side as well to ensure that, to the extent that I work on my desktop PC, I can.  I do all my work on my work laptop anyway.

Will be waiting for Dell to have a sale in Canada on the monitor.  It's way too expensive at regular price and a dealbreaker.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 01:55:31 AM »
The Alienware AW3418DW is a gorgeous monitor and generally scored well in reviews. I haven't tried it myself but it was on my list when I was looking at ultrawides as a potential option. The other 3 I was looking at were the Asus, Acer, and LG. With LG having the most affordable option (the LG 29UC88 close to $300).

The main reasons I ended up opting against ultrawide are cost, gaming, and that the trade-off did not add significantly to productivity. I was still doing fine with a dual monitor setup. In fact, I ended up going with multi-system setup (two PCs linked) thanks to helpful utilities like Multiplicity. But that's another topic.

The cost of ultrawide is still too high and while I can see it being useful for certain fields it's not all that utilitarian for most people.

For me, I'd rather spend that amount on a significantly higher spec 16:9 screen (whether it's 4K or 1440p).

Unless you're in dire need, I wouldn't recommend buying a new monitor just yet. I'd estimate waiting till March (if not sooner) when Asus and Acer will announce their new monitors and the release dates of their previously announced HDR monitors. You'll either find something new you want or the prices will drop on something you're eyeing now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, January 25, 2018, 10:15:30 PM »
Curiosity: why is having more monitors better for productivity as opposed to one big one? I've gotten used to my dual-monitor setup, but the primary advantage is being able to full-screen certain applications on the other screen easily, or snap things to the edges of that screen.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 07:09:54 PM »
I find it really easy to just have a PDF open on one screen full screen and a spreadsheet, cad program, or whatever else open on the other.  That said, yeah, I could just snap to split screen on a larger monitor. 

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 29, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »
Snapping is good but it really only helps you do a 50/50 split. With dual monitors you can snap on each of them which gives way more options.

Dual monitors also give you a separate taskbar for each screen which makes it a lot easier to manage windows than an alt+tab screen that goes on forever.

Snapping is also just not ideal for some applications; operating in full screen can be easier.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 03, 2018, 02:13:29 AM »
For design, I usually have the main work on my primary screen and toolkits along with any reference images on the other screen. It just allows me to give maximum real estate to the artwork on a single screen.

This is also effective using multiple (or virtual) desktops but I tend to get frustrated quickly when I'm repeatedly switching or alt-tabbing.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 03, 2018, 11:14:08 PM »
Not at all related to this thread really but I switched one of my office monitors with my home monitor.  Mainly because I work from home a fair bit and figured I should move the 24" there and could use my old 21" at the office with little problem (in combination with my existing 24").

My home monitor was a pretty high end (for the time) Samsung from like 2006 or so.  The office one I moved is like a budget Benq from the last couple of years. I only really noticed the difference between them since switching really but the newer one just has so much better colour production and viewing angles.  Plus, way lower response time (like 2ms compared to 6ms) but fuck me, do I wish there was an easy way to turn the backlight down.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 04, 2018, 12:12:51 PM »
My screen's backlight doesn't even get a normal adjustment control.  Rather, it falls under energy saving, with 4 levels:  High, Medium, Low and Off.  These are not brightness levels, but rather energy-saving labels.  So the scale is backward from what you'd think.  It's really stupid.  Off for full brightness, High for dimmest.  I was on High for a long time, and more recently went to Medium.  The full brightness seared my retinas, especially when the screen was new. 

I'm sure you have some sort of backlight adjustment you can live with most of the time, then use the monitor's software controls for brightness, contrast, etc.  I have 4 presets for the software visual adjustments, of which I use Normal and Movie almost exclusively.  Normal has the white level at 80%, for regular computer activities, like right now.  Movie I have set to use the full range of brightness (with white at 100%), and I use that for videos and gaming.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, February 10, 2018, 07:38:07 PM »
Ordered the AW3418DW as it is on sale in Canada.  Now the wait -- apparently won't get here until March!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 11, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »
Ordered the AW3418DW as it is on sale in Canada.  Now the wait -- apparently won't get here until March!
Nice! Get us some shots of your setup!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
    • MysterD's XFire Blog
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 18, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
I have a U28E590D Samsung 28'' 4K Monitor TN panel. Personally, I love it.

I do bounce often use 1440p for games, since GTX 970 won't handle most games at 4K 60fps for me. Though, b/c of the blur that can occur from 4K->1440p or any 4K->downgrading, make sure you crank your AA, AF, any/or anything else that can sharpen the image up until it isn't blurry for you.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, February 18, 2018, 10:58:26 PM »
My screen's backlight doesn't even get a normal adjustment control.  Rather, it falls under energy saving, with 4 levels:  High, Medium, Low and Off.  These are not brightness levels, but rather energy-saving labels.  So the scale is backward from what you'd think.  It's really stupid.  Off for full brightness, High for dimmest.  I was on High for a long time, and more recently went to Medium.  The full brightness seared my retinas, especially when the screen was new. 

I'm sure you have some sort of backlight adjustment you can live with most of the time, then use the monitor's software controls for brightness, contrast, etc.  I have 4 presets for the software visual adjustments, of which I use Normal and Movie almost exclusively.  Normal has the white level at 80%, for regular computer activities, like right now.  Movie I have set to use the full range of brightness (with white at 100%), and I use that for videos and gaming.

This helped actually.  I can't find a direct control but I can mess with the presets, although previously I didn't realize they were adjusting the backlight as well.  There's a low blue light mode which seems to help and an eco mode which is great, but seems to auto adjust - which is pretty fucking distracting. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday, February 19, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »
It depends on the monitor.  On mine, backlight is strictly its own thing under energy saving.  All my presets and full-range controls are software adjustments only (meaning they only affect the LCD elements).  Not ideal by far.

I have never met a TN panel that I liked.  I hate the extremely narrow vertical viewing angle, with colors inverting when the viewpoint is lower than the screen.  I know they have the lowest display lag, but I'll take a few more ms of that to get a screen that shows the same colors whether I'm standing up, sitting up straight, or slumping down in my chair.