Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 18393 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Monitors
« Reply #40 on: Monday, January 07, 2019, 04:59:55 AM »
G-Sync support coming in an Nvidia driver update for FreeSync Monitors on January 15th:
https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-brings-g-sync-support-to-freesync-monitors/'

- With the Jan. 15th update incoming, G-Sync tech will work on FreeSync monitors.
- If you have a FreeSync monitor and an NVidia card, you'll be able to use G-Sync.
- You will be able to set G-Sync manually, probably via NVidia Control Panel.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: Monday, January 07, 2019, 06:16:18 AM »
Damn.  That's huge.  I guess Nvidia has been getting some humility beaten into them lately.  So now we can have our cake and eat it too.  Nvidia supporting the open standard.  I did not expect that anytime soon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #42 on: Monday, January 07, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »
You ain't kidding. This is HUGE!

Yeah, to get G-Sync into more hands is awesome!

Killing off input lag & graphical tearing is a VERY big deal.

Coupling G-Sync with monitors with higher refresh rates (i.e. above 60fps - think say 90hz, 120hz, 144hz, 240hz, etc) is going to be ideal - as you can kill the above stuff and also minimize any feeling of lag from any crazy framerate drops (like losing 30 frames or so).

I love my G-Sync 1080p monitor on my desktop (240hz refresh rate) and my SC15 laptop's G-Sync supported screen (120hz).

Though, these monitors that I have are before G-Sync going more "open" - so those do have a special controller/CPU Nvidia put on them to control the framerate, kill input lag, and kill graphical tearing. So I am also guessing those, w/ FreeSync that are going to use G-Sync, those FreeSync monitors don't come w/ those controller modules/CPU's on them. Those might possibly need to buy a better card (i.e. say a 1070, 1080, 2060, 2070, 2080) and/or a better CPU (higher end i5's or i7's) to get the most out of this.

We won't know 'til next week, when benchmarks likely will pop out.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Monday, January 07, 2019, 08:14:17 PM »
My dad replaced a monitor in a hospital and was throwing the old one away when I noticed the stand allowed for 90 degree rotation. So I salvaged it. It had holes in the metal plate for standard vesa mounting, but only 2 screws were accessible by default with some metal tabs being used instead of the other 2 to hold the original monitor in place. Drilled out the plastic cover to access the other screw holes and cut the metal tabs off and now its all ready to use.

It's pretty awesome. My main reason for wanting it was to play Pinball FX3 with the table taking up the whole screen. It's great! Can even set up my second monitor to display custom backglass and the DMD display. Viewing websites is also interesting. You don't realize how much blank space sites display on widescreen monitors. You can see so much more of a site when rotated vertically.

So just a few use cases so far, but it's neat.

EDIT:

Downwell is really cool in portrait mode. Feels like a real arcade game. Speaking of, MAME has a lot of games with a vertical orientation. Lots of scrolling shooters, big surprise, but also stuff like Pac Man and Donkey Kong. Doesn't totally fill the screen but they look real nice.

One hard thing is how programs don't really expect you to be rotating your monitor. So for Pinball FX3 (if you get a free cabinet code) and MAME, it's simply in the options to rotate the screen. Downwell has TATE mode you can toggle on and off, but you have to change the monitor orientation in Windows first. As far as I know there is no quick way to toggle it so it kinda sucks to have to go into Windows display settings when you want to fire up that game to play it vertically. I bet fancier monitors can detect rotation and switch automatically.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 07, 2019, 09:16:57 PM by idolminds »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: Monday, January 07, 2019, 09:17:10 PM »
It's the mobile aspect creeping into everything.  Notice how hard it's getting to find landscape-oriented anything lately?  Even those lousy tall, skinny videos are taking over.  Weather radar on a local station--portrait.

My monitor has a mount that allows the same thing, and the video settings allow portrait mode.  The day may come when I have to capitulate.  My hardware is ready.

Edit:  In case it wasn't obvious, I was being mostly facetious here--an oblique vent about all the phone users making videos as if we had one eye above the other instead of across our faces.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 10:10:30 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, February 10, 2019, 12:22:15 AM »
Looking at this thread makes me realize how old I am because I don't give a shit about any of this anymore. Maybe it's just a phase.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Monday, February 18, 2019, 08:41:14 PM »
Haha.  I mean it's all so complicated.