Author Topic: Fallen Enchantress  (Read 1733 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Fallen Enchantress
« on: Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »
The new Elemental game.

So Fallen Enchantress is the standalone expansion/sequel/do-over for Stardocks Elemental. Hopefully they learned their lesson. They restructured their game development studio, hired on a bunch of people (like the creator of the Fall From Heaven mod for Civ4), and whatever else they did.

So why am I not simply ignoring this release? Well, I get it for free. So does anyone else that bought Elemental in 2010. We all also get beta access which is starting now. Preorders are first and starting today, then everyone else in a week from now.

Here is a recent dev blog about the faction differences, which sound great. A big problem in Elemental was the different factions all felt pretty samey.

Wardell posted about the beta. Some interesting and surprising information in there. There is no NDA, so you can freely talk about it, make videos, etc. The other is the lack of multiplayer. Not just for the beta, but for the game entirely.
While internally we have multiplayer, we’ve turned it off. The release game won’t have it either.  The reason is that tactical battles would have to be rewritten to support it (MP code needs to be message based but the tactical battles all call directly to internal variables which makes it easier to have greater performance but it means no MP).  We decided it would be better to have no MP than gimpy MP for FE.  Don’t bother arguing this point as it’s already been hashed out endlessly internally and it’s decided.  We may bring it back in some future expansion but no promises because rewriting tactical is a non-trivial endeavor.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fallen Enchantress
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »
I'm excited. I actually liked Elemental a good bit, so this has the potential to be super cool.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 10:29:56 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
So by most accounts this seems to have turned out well. I haven't been able to download it yet but I really should try soon. Anyway, thread gets a bump because Legendary Heroes expansion was announced. And again, if you were one of the poor bastards that bought War of Magic before Nov 2010 (ie, you got Fallen Enchantress free) then you also get this for free. Sidebar indicates they make use of Steamworks here so...yeah, thats probably going to be a thing.

EDIT Hmm, weird. The FAQ states this:
Who gets Legendary Heroes for free?

If you pre-ordered War of Magic before release then you will be receiving Legendary Heroes for free.  This is different from the people who received Fallen Enchantress for free (which was anyone who purchased War of Magic before the end of 2010).  If you will be receiving Legendary Heroes for free you will receive an email from Stardock when the beta starts.

And the FA page I linked to says
War of Magic owners special option
Players who bought War of Magic before November of 2010 get Legendary Heroes as part of their original purchase! You don’t have to sign up. It’ll automatically be added to your Stardock account and a Steam serial number will be sent to you to get it when it’s available!
So...which is it?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 05, 2013, 12:24:33 PM by idolminds »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
Irritating. If it makes the game suddenly require Steam, I won't touch it. Base game is great, though. I've enjoyed it a lot when I've had a few to put into it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
Looks like this is a "standalone expansion" that also includes the original game. So If you want Legendary Heroes, you have to play it on Steam. Or you can just keep playing FA from the DRM-free download. Hopefully they don't "upgrade" the game on your account and remove that.

Its really weird that Stardock was all about DRM-free when they ran Impulse but then after they sold that off all their games seem to require Steam now. Pretty fucking annoying.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
Looks like this is a "standalone expansion" that also includes the original game. So If you want Legendary Heroes, you have to play it on Steam. Or you can just keep playing FA from the DRM-free download. Hopefully they don't "upgrade" the game on your account and remove that.

Its really weird that Stardock was all about DRM-free when they ran Impulse but then after they sold that off all their games seem to require Steam now. Pretty fucking annoying.

Some of Wardell's thoughts on Steam quoted from last June 2012:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2748423

If Wardell really wants to have his cake and eat it too - i.e. put his game on Steam and make the game DRM-FREE...
...then he should find a way to join the Club of Steam Games that are DRM-FREE (i.e. you can boot them w/out Steam going - and it works fine):
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 05, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »
Yeah, that displeases me.