Author Topic: Guns N Roses - The Chinese Democracy = Streaming on MySpace NOW  (Read 4164 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Guns N Roses - The Chinese Democracy = Streaming on MySpace NOW
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 02:10:55 AM »
Who the fuck reads album reviews? Seriously.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 07:50:23 AM »
Who the fuck reads album reviews? Seriously.

I had no intention of doing so at all... until for some reason, your comment made me skim through all the reviews D posted. Oo
« Last Edit: Friday, November 21, 2008, 09:11:28 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 07:56:33 AM »
Yeah, they're usually pretty worthless.  Music is such a subjective thing.  I mean, everything is, but music even more so.  It seems like whenever I read an album review it's generally praise for an album that doesn't do anything special whatsoever, so I've come to believe them to just be marketing tools and all these people are either bought off or just work for the companies to begin with in some manner or other.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 12:32:54 PM »
I've heard the title track and it sucks bad.  Half the songs on Appetite for Destruction kicks it's ass.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 02:33:38 PM »
I've heard the title track and it sucks bad.  Half the songs on Appetite for Destruction kicks it's ass.

Well, appetite is one of the best rock albums of all time, so it had damn well better.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 03:02:57 PM »
I maybe need to give it a few more listens, but yeah -- Chinese Democracy feels like it's too long and too much all over the place for its own good.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 08:35:52 AM »
It's shit.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 22, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »
Wheel of morality aside, I stole the album because I really wanted to hear it. Its not a bad album, but its soooooo not GnR material. I'm sure the new youngins on the scene will eat this up when they see it on MTV, but old fans...don't bother.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, November 23, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »
Its not a bad album, but its soooooo not GnR material.
Some of it is, some of it ain't.

The first few tracks sound like old GNR (see Appetite and Illusion LP's), then it suddenly decides to go all over the place and dabble into other styles too (industrial rock, pop).

I'm sure the new youngins on the scene will eat this up when they see it on MTV, but old fans...don't bother.
I think this album needs, more than anything, an edit button.
Approximately 72 minutes is just too long for this one.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 24, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »

HALF?! 

But yeah, I'm a huge GnR fan and I've downloaded pretty much every leaked song.  I don't know what's actually released on the LP because the single that hit a while ago depressed me greatly.  I'll probably come out of it in the next couple of days and check it out, but until then I feel like I've stuck by my wife while she was being a huge pregnant bitch for the last nine months and have restructured my life to make way for my new child.  I was going to teach him how to toss the ball, how to throw a punch, and totally raise him with badass tough love....and then he popped out of my blond haired wife with a mane of red hair upon his black head.  THIS ISN'T WHAT i WANTED!!!!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 24, 2008, 12:54:22 AM »
I am not going to bother hearing any more beyond the couple of leaked songs I had. Your reactions are depressing.

Why is this called the new GNR album? It should be Rose's solo.

BTW, I've heard the album grows on you... but that sounds substandard for GNR.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 24, 2008, 04:55:32 PM »
I am not going to bother hearing any more beyond the couple of leaked songs I had. Your reactions are depressing.

Why is this called the new GNR album?
It's a marketing thing, I'd say -- b/c of the success of (the old) GNR, keep the name and sales will jump up.

But, honestly -- as long as "Axl Rose Presents..." and then lists the new name of the band on the album cover somewhere, I think people would've STILL bought it. He hasn't release an album in years, so of course people would want to hear it. Plus, let's face it -- he is Axl freakin' Rose. It'd probably be easier to swallow this album if it was not under the GNR band-name, as well.

It should be Rose's solo.
Actually, Rose should've renamed the band to something different, since so many of the original members left the band.

BTW, I've heard the album grows on you... but that sounds substandard for GNR.
It's hard to take this album as a whole -- especially since it's long and eventually goes all over the place.

After the first few tracks which sounds like old GNR (Appetite and Illusion LP's), it feels like a rock mixtape as it delves into other styles of rock, as well.

I'd say expect that kind of experimentation into other genres say from The White Stripes (an experimental rock band), not say GNR.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 12:38:37 AM »
It's a marketing thing, I'd say -- b/c of the success of (the old) GNR, keep the name and sales will jump up.

Dude... it was rhetorical...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »
Oh!
Ummm...oops!
*slaps self upside head*

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 10:46:50 AM »
So I gave it a listen. Axel is all over the place, the album isn't nearly as good as true GNRs best work... but you know what, as unremarkable as much of it is, it is still kinda good to hear new stuff from him. A couple of songs are pretty good I guess. Will have to give it a few more listens.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 06:32:26 PM »
I listened to GnR a lot when I was younger, and I still go back and listen to some stuff now and then, party for nostalgia (I don't even put it on my mp3 player or anything, just listen to a few tracks on my PC). By the time Chinese Democracy came out I really didn't care. The only GnR I have any interest in anymore is the old albums I already know.

The one band from my teenage years that I have listened to new stuff of and liked it Sepultura. That's the only band though.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 01:23:35 AM »
Yea after listening to it one time last night, I can't say if I am going to be motivated to listen to it again... most of it was unremarkable... and Axel's vocals seemed to be off most of the time.

After listening to the album, I listened to "Don't Cry", and a few other classics, and there was a definite difference in the vocals. He still has a lot of range, but... it just seemed off.

But this is music. One listen doesn't mean much to me sometimes.