Author Topic: Lets Talk Football!  (Read 8480 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Lets Talk Football!
« on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »
Ok, my team is the Redskins, we've been bad for a while, but things seem to be looking up finally. How are everyone else's teams doing?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Lets Talk Football!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »
Fantasy team did great this week.

Titans certainly pulled an upset win on Sunday, but I'd stop short of calling them "my team".  Just the team I'm in closest proximity to.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
I am a Bengals fan.  I think that is all that needs to be said.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
Rams for life

but yeah they suck too

and man how bad are the Colts without Manning??
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
Hell, he should still be a candidate for MVP.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
I'm mad that the Rams lost to two of our rivals, they better throw away the game for us too. Whatever, the beat us every year...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
The Manning situation is interesting.  Normally a good quarterback can help a bad team go 8-8 or something like that.  For instance if the Bengals had Manning or Brady, they would not look spectacular.  But the difference between the Colts with and without Manning is an elite team and a bad one.  That's unusual.  I feel bad for Colts fans.  They get to see what their franchise will be like when Manning eventually retires.  Back to the gutter for them.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 09:25:03 PM »
Unless they tank the remainder of the year and win the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
I'm a Panthers fan. We've lost two, but we look a hell of a lot better than last year. Cam Newton has played better than anyone expected...I'm excited for the rest of the year.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »
I have to admit that in the preseason I thought Cam Newton was going to be Jamarcus Russell 2.  Strange how he was so bad in preseason but now looks decent.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
anyways im just rooting for any team other than the eagles. it's not that i hate the eagles but i hate philly fans so fucking much that i want 100 years to go buy without the city getting any kind of championship but rather ruin and misery instead.

p.s i hate philly fans
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 22, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
anyways im just rooting for any team other than the eagles. it's not that i hate the eagles but i hate philly fans so fucking much that i want 100 years to go buy without the city getting any kind of championship but rather ruin and misery instead.

p.s i hate philly fans

You must live around my area, I thought Cowboys fans were bad...this year the Eagles fans have been coming out of the woodwork. However, I don't understand the media attention that they're getting and the lack of attention the Redskins are getting.

Anyways, I called Vick getting hurt, but I thought he would make it a little bit longer.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, October 09, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
If you had told me a few months ago that just over a month into the season the Detroit Lions would be 4-0 and the Colts would be 0-5 i would have told you to shut the fuck up

sucks when your team relies that much on one QB
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
Thoughts on the trade, scott? I'm guessing you pretty much hate palmer now like every bengals fan i know
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 03:45:48 AM »
My first reaction when I heard the trade rumors were: "Too bad Al Davis isn't alive.  He would have pulled the trigger and way overspent to get Mike Brown to trade Palmer".  Then when it happened, I thought:  "The Al Davis madness continues!"

Yeah, Palmer isn't a popular guy in Bengaldom.  In fact, I'd say he is less popular than Ochocinco even though 85 went on a public media tour dissing the Bengals in 2008.  At least Chad played when he wasn't let go.

Here's something that sums up the sentiment regarding Palmer nicely:

I would have preferred that they found another picture of Palmer lying on the ground other than the one where he tore his ACL in the 2005 playoff game against the Steelers, but it still rings true.

As far as the trade... hell yeah!  How could anyone say no to that?  I think Mike Brown (Bengals owner) is a complete idiot, but I did support him in his stubborn quest to keep Palmer under his thumb.  Everyone was saying he was hurting the team by doing so, but I wanted to see Palmer give back some of his signing bonus at least.  I mean the guy had four years left on his contract, one that made him one of the highest paid players in the NFL.  But Mike Brown has amazingly come off looking like a genius.

Here's the dirt on Palmer... he's basically a Bledsoe clone.  If the Raiders have a good offensive line and don't run stupid plays like the deep out, he'll be fine.  And a good running game really helps take the pressure off him and I know the Raiders have a good one with McFadden and Bush.  But if he's under pretty consistent pressure he will fold like a house of cards.  He also has a tendency to lock on to the primary receiver and force it in there.  He hasn't had a truly good season since 2007, and even that year the Bengals only went 7-9.  In 2010 there were several occasions where he threw to triple-covered T. O. when Ochocinco was open on the other side of the field and the ball was subsequently picked off.  His arm strength is also a serious question since his elbow injury in 2008 as is his leadership ability.

I've seen some Raiders fans point out that other than Palmer's TD-to-INT ratio, his 2010 statistics were pretty good and they also point out the Bengals are generally a bad team so it can't all be blamed on Palmer.  In 2010, yeah, this stats were alright, but the Bengals were 4-12!  What's the point?  Also, it was clear in 2009 that we needed more receiving threats because Chad wasn't getting it done on his own with Andre Caldwell and Laverneus Coles and basically no tight end.  We got a receiving TE in the first round of the 2010 draft, a good slot receiver in the same draft, and picked up T. O.  He also had a good defense.  He threw so many pick-6s it was ridiculous.  People were not happy with Palmer last year except maybe for the Chargers game.  It was his time to put up or shut up, and well you know what the story was.  Given, the offensive line was offensive (see what I did there?), but a quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger would have had a monster year with the the 2010 Bengals.

I don't think a change of scenery or an improved offensive line will result in a 2005-2006 era Carson.  I think that Carson is gone due to shell shock and injury.  But he's probably the best quarterback that was available and is still capable of big games here and there.  The early part of 2009 he mounted several miracle come-from-behind victories and they were called the "Cardiac Cats".  At this point in his career with his resume, I don't think he's worth anywhere near a single first round pick much less a first and a second or a first and a first, but I'll take it!!!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 01:06:40 PM by scottws »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 08:41:55 PM »
Wow, that pick-6 Carson threw was deja vu.  I've seen that way too many times.

Like I said, he'll have some good games where he looks amazing and just destroys defenses.  But there will be a lot of games like today where you are like "What the fuck were you thinking when you threw that?!"

Sure, some of it rust, lack of knowing the offense and timing of the receivers, but Carson has a history of poor decision making.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, October 23, 2011, 10:26:18 PM »
28-0 lolz
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 05:44:28 PM »
The Packer let me down horribly.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
I didn't get to watch the NFC game.  Apparently Fox and DirecTV are in some sort of dispute and the channel was not available.

And don't know what happened to my Bengals in the playoffs.  I was really pulling for a win just to spite Carson Palmer, but wow that was pretty embarrassing.  At least it wasn't as embarrassing as the Giants/Falcons, Saints/Lions, or Patriots/Broncos.  Well, there is hope for next year.  I find myself saying that a lot.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
Well, the Colts dropped Peyton Manning and I hate the Colts. Not because they dropped him, but because after only one year of being sucky (maybe on purpose) they get the #1 pick and get to choose what possibly might be the next big QB. However, there is a catch:

Manning did everything for the Colts. He helped come up with plays, he called the plays, he coached, played and basically ran the team. Yeah, they were bad this year because he didn't play, but they were also bad because he wasn't there to do all of the stuff he normally does. If they think the new QB who comes in is just going to blow it up...they're going to be sadly disappointed.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2012, 06:54:07 PM »
Yeah, there is all that plus they are shedding other talent.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 07, 2012, 09:01:27 PM »
But you're forgetting that Luck is by all accounts considered one of those once in a decade sort of players.  An instant game changer.  Manning, at best, has 3-4 years left in him.  Those not being prime years, either.  Every team has to cut bait at some point.  Their stars are getting older.  It's time to rebuild.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, March 08, 2012, 06:32:16 AM »
I know Luck is supposed to be a once in a lifetime type of QB, but Manning had a hand in everything the team did. You could see how quickly they dropped off once he was out for the season. I don't see Luck stepping in and being able to do that with the Colts, at least not for a while if ever.

You don't have to tell me about rebuilding, I'm a Skins fan and we're finally at the halfway point of our rebuild. I just think the Colts should've phased Manning out instead of having to start from square one and put everything on a rookie QB.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, March 08, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »
Manning was a bit of a double-edged sword.  He was a good enough player that they essentially based your team around his strengths and weaknesses.  They were built to win around him.  Without him they could not win, and that's part of the reason the Polians are no longer with the team.  Their strategy was sound with Manning healthy, but utterly fell apart without him.

I can pretty well promise you that Luck won't be doing the things Manning did, mainly because the organization likely will never let it happen again.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, March 08, 2012, 09:50:16 AM »
Is the organization really all that good?  I just remember them being one of the worst teams in the league year-after-year until they got lucky with Manning.  I think the team was good in spite of the organization.  I'm not convinced that they'll have similar success with Luck.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, March 08, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
Is the organization really all that good?  I just remember them being one of the worst teams in the league year-after-year until they got lucky with Manning.  I think the team was good in spite of the organization.  I'm not convinced that they'll have similar success with Luck.

It was with Manning at QB.  Who knows if Luck will introduce the same level of success.  I don't really have a dog in the hunt, so I couldn't care less.

And I don't know if "luck" had a ton to do with it.  They were pretty sure what they had in Manning when they drafted him.  Don't forget, the general consensus was that Ryan Leaf had the bigger upside.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, March 08, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »
It was with Manning at QB.  Who knows if Luck will introduce the same level of success.  I don't really have a dog in the hunt, so I couldn't care less.

And I don't know if "luck" had a ton to do with it.  They were pretty sure what they had in Manning when they drafted him.  Don't forget, the general consensus was that Ryan Leaf had the bigger upside.
No, I mean luck in the sense that they were lucky they were in the position to pick a quarterback-of-the-decade type.  There was no question whether Manning would be any good in the NFL.  He was a man amongst boys while he was at Tennessee.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 06:02:11 AM »
A lot has happened since anyone has posted in here: Manning goes to Denver, Tebow to the Jets, Redskins trade up to the #2 draft spot (hopefully to draft RG3) and the Cowboys and Redskins both got hit with some bullshit cap penalties.

I think Manning should have retired, he got his ring and he's already got tons of money. He should just quit now before he breaks his neck or just ends up embarrassing himself like Favre or McNabb.

Tebow ends up with the Jets and I feel sorry for him. The Jets really are a joke of a team in every aspect of the sense, except for their defense which is what really allows them to stay in the game. Sanchez is a playboy who get preferential treatment and goofs around too much to be successful. I will go on record saying that Tebow will be starting QB by mid season.

John Elway is a douchebag, he always has been and continues to be one. Before Tebow got a chance to really play, Elway continued to talk him down. Even when he came in and Tebow took the Broncos to the playoffs and made them relevant. I don't like or dislike Tebow (I was really sick of the hype), but he didn't deserve to be treated like that.

Looks like the Skins will be getting RG3, I can tell you everyone around here is very excited. Even if the Colts owner keeps saying he's not sure who he is going to pick.

I'm sure you've all heard about the cap penalties by now, I think it's a load of crap. Not only did they do it through collusion and bring it into effect one day before free agency, but it was speared headed by the John Mara, the owner of the Giants. If anyone thinks that its just a coincidence that the head of the commission, who is also the owner of the Giants, happened to only punish two of his main competitors. Well, expect this to go to court.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #28 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 09:04:42 AM »
It doesn't matter who the 'Skins pick.  As long as Dan Synder is there they will continue to try to buy a championship and fail miserably at that year after year.  He's trying to be the Yankees of football, but football doesn't work that way and it will never work.  The Bengals have their own organizational problems that I have to deal with, so I know those issues when I see them.  The Redskins will never be a top team with the way they are currently run.

Having a top-end quarterback definitely helps (just look at Manning) and that is something that the Redskins haven't really had, but there are no guarantees.  Jamarcus Russell.  Akili Smith.  Ryan Leaf.  Tim Couch.  All spectacular busts.  Then there are also QBs picked #1 overall that have just been average:  Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, and David Carr.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 05:59:11 PM »
It doesn't matter who the 'Skins pick.  As long as Dan Synder is there they will continue to try to buy a championship and fail miserably at that year after year.  He's trying to be the Yankees of football, but football doesn't work that way and it will never work.  The Bengals have their own organizational problems that I have to deal with, so I know those issues when I see them.  The Redskins will never be a top team with the way they are currently run.

Having a top-end quarterback definitely helps (just look at Manning) and that is something that the Redskins haven't really had, but there are no guarantees.  Jamarcus Russell.  Akili Smith.  Ryan Leaf.  Tim Couch.  All spectacular busts.  Then there are also QBs picked #1 overall that have just been average:  Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, and David Carr.

If you had said this two years ago I would've agreed with you, but that is no longer the case here.

Unlike before, Snyder has finally hired an actual GM to run the team. He fired his best friend (Vinny Cerrato) who knew nothing about football and was responsible for many of the expensive "fixes" of the past (i.e. Haynesworth). We no longer go after washed up veterans and we no longer pay them an insane amount of money. We also have finally started building our team through the draft and putting youth on the team instead of going for the flashiest name.

Snyder has finally realized he's only needed to sign the checks and needs to let the actual football professionals run the team.

I'm not going to say that RG3 is a guaranteed franchise QB, but to compare him to those QBs is apples and oranges. Half of those QBs have had drug problems and the other half are just incredibly average. Its too early to tell, but RG3 looks to be an amazing QB and not a drug addict.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, April 15, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »
I guess we'll see.  I thought Cam Newton was going to be a bust but I was wrong there.

As far as the Bengals go, it will be interesting to see what happens.  There have been a lot of moving parts.  Two of our solid longtime utility guys on the defensive line have moved on (Frostee Rucker and Jonathan Fanene) and there are new faces at CB, S, and one on the OL.  Now they guy that left from the OL sucked balls so hopefully the new guy is better than him, but there is something to be said for consistency on the OL.  We also parted ways with Cedric Benson and picked up The Law Firm, who is solid but nothing amazing.

I love Dalton's moxie, leadership and other intagibles, but he doesn't seem to have the strongest arm.  If A.J. Green and Jerome Simpson (of the front-over-the-defender-for-a-TD fame) didn't bail him out of some of the underthrown bombs Dalton threw, last season would have been very different for the Bengals.  It was also concerning that the offense seemed to really slow down at the end of the year as teams figured us out.  We'll see what kind of stuff second-year offensive coordinator is made of.  Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell were both allowed to walk in free agency so WR will be interesting this year.  A.J. Green is a beast and Simpson and Caldwell were nothing special, but we need competent receivers or else A.J. and our passing game will get shut down.

We'll see what they are made of.  We play a third place schedule this year (the AFC North sent three teams to the playoffs last year), so we have a good chance to get back to the playoffs if we can make some plays on offense and not fall apart on defense.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
I remember praying that the Redskins wouldn't pick up Newton, I thought he was too arrogant and destined to be a bust. I was wrong too, but I'm liking RG3 over Newton, well the idea anyways.

I can't honestly say that I know a lot about the Bengals. I know that even when they do well, they don't seem to get a lot of attention. I've heard that they're one of the cheaper teams, as in they don't like to spend a lot of money.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 12:03:27 AM »
I just wanted to say, the Redskins are in!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 05:16:05 AM »
Yes, they've had a great season.  RGIII turned out to be the real deal.

The Bengals are also in, but they are the weakest playoff team in the AFC.  We play the Texans (again).  They've been on a bit of a skid but J.J. Watt eats quarterbacks for breakfast.  Our offense has been playing very poorly but our defense has really manned up.  I'd love to seem them win a playoff game this year.  It hasn't happened since 1990.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #34 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 08:56:25 AM »
I made a conscious decision to avoid the NFL altogether this year.  Aside from watching a few series of a Titans game very early in the season, I haven't watched any of it.  A few years ago I was a die-hard fan of the NFL, but the lockout and events afterward have left something of a sour taste in my mouth.

I realized that I don't miss it.  At all.  Any football itch I get is more than taken care of by college football, which to me is much more fun to watch.

I'm not sure if I'll go back to watching the NFL.  Especially if the NHL ever gets their head out of their ass and comes to an agreement with the players.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 07:07:25 PM »
I've been watching a lot more NFL this year because fuck the NHL. My idea of having Fehr and Bettman slug it out UFC style to decide whose CBA gets honored was largely ignored.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 11:58:52 PM »
Yes, they've had a great season.  RGIII turned out to be the real deal.

The Bengals are also in, but they are the weakest playoff team in the AFC.  We play the Texans (again).  They've been on a bit of a skid but J.J. Watt eats quarterbacks for breakfast.  Our offense has been playing very poorly but our defense has really manned up.  I'd love to seem them win a playoff game this year.  It hasn't happened since 1990.

If I remember correctly, the Bengals torched us on a wildcat on the opening play. To be honest though, the end of that game was suspect (replacement refs...).

I don't know if we can beat Seattle, no one in the NFC East seems to have any luck when it comes to them, but I think they're starting to cool down. Hopefully RG3 is healthy and ready to go. I hope them Bengals do well too, maybe we'll see you in the SuperBowl?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: Monday, January 07, 2013, 03:14:40 PM »
HAHA ALL YOUR TEAMS ARE BAD

-A Rams fan
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:51:36 AM »
Only thing to do now is root against the seahawks, I've never come across a more obnoxious fan base in my entire life.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
Only thing to do now is root against the seahawks, I've never come across a more obnoxious fan base in my entire life.

Pretty sure this title belongs to Philly fans
Suck it, Pugnate.