Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 4452 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Monday, February 01, 2016, 04:42:59 PM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: XCOM 2 has been announced by Firaxis & 2K; and it will be PC exclusive.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 02, 2015, 03:42:27 PM »
The first (new) one was pretty cool.  It did a good job of capturing the feeling of the original 90's game yet making it more accessible to modern gamers, especially console gamers.  That said, it was pretty buggy when it was released so I hope they avoid that this time around.

Other than the bugs, if I had to complain about one thing it would be the fact that the aliens didn't really exist on the map until you basically ran into them.  So you couldn't just hang back and wait for them to come into view and have the opportunity for multiple shots from all your guys due to the saved actions like you could in the original game.  Of course, that's a borderline exploit from the original game and it is incredibly boring to play that way, even if it is highly effective.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 02, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
Dualshockers.com -> XCOM2 will also have fan-requested features implemented such as procedural levels + mod support.

Creative Director Jake Solomon also promised that the game will be solidly based on feedback from the fans received after the first game:
“The feedback from the passionate XCOM community played an important role in the development of XCOM 2, driving us to push the visual, gameplay and replayability boundaries of what a strategy game can be. We’re thrilled to implement long-time fan requested features such as procedural levels and modding support, as well as adding more of what makes XCOM great like new aliens, enemies and soldier classes.”

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
Wow, how cool. And PC exclusive? In 2015, by a large company? That seems impossible, especially since the last one hit consoles too. That's crazy.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 11:12:24 AM »
Wow, how cool. And PC exclusive? In 2015, by a large company? That seems impossible, especially since the last one hit consoles too. That's crazy.
Que! Welcome back, man! You've been missed :)

Yeah, it's currently a PC exclusive. The original XCOM started out on PC only as well then got console versions a few months later, and eventually portable versions (iOS and Android) down the line.

They've already stated that the main reason they're avoiding consoles right now is production costs. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is financially successful they decide later to make PS4 and XB1 versions.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
Well very cool. I loved the first game. Never did try the expansion, though. I have a Japanese copy on Steam, so I might give it another install and play at some point.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: XCOM 2 -> Update: Delayed until Feb. 2016
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 01:36:17 AM »
I have since gotten super super pumped for this. It looks amazing.

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/v/35497423

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, February 01, 2016, 06:24:50 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: XCOM 2
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2016, 03:35:41 AM »
I'm preordered (a surprise to me, for sure) and ready to go. Will be streaming this just as soon as Steam lets me play.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »
I'm preordered (a surprise to me, for sure) and ready to go. Will be streaming this just as soon as Steam lets me play.
Niccce!

Can't wait to follow your stream.

The GameTrailers review really psyched me up!

« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 02, 2016, 10:51:07 AM by Xessive »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2016, 08:14:44 PM »
That's definitely a glowing one! Most of them have been for sure.

This is actually I think the first time I've had a Steam game preordered that I bought straight digital. When does Steam let you download the game? Are preloads the norm? And when does it generally unlock to let you play it, midnight?

EDIT - A little searching shows they haven't announced yet. Still just "we'll let you know soon". So I guess kinda hard to say.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2016, 08:44:46 PM »
That's definitely a glowing one! Most of them have been for sure.

This is actually I think the first time I've had a Steam game preordered that I bought straight digital. When does Steam let you download the game? Are preloads the norm? And when does it generally unlock to let you play it, midnight?

EDIT - A little searching shows they haven't announced yet. Still just "we'll let you know soon". So I guess kinda hard to say.
While pre-loading has become more-or-less common practice, it varies from game to game (and publisher to publisher). For example, Square-Enix often set up a pre-load for major releases 3 days prior. Other games usually get a pre-load 24 hours in advance.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
Pre-load has begun!

Incidentally, I have an extra XCOM 2 key (plus a key for pre-order DLC) if anyone would like to trade.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 12:20:05 PM »
And release schedule is up too!

I'll be streaming at 9:01 tomorrow night. haha Preload is already at 61%.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/268500/announcements/detail/843665914362353836

EDIT -

Very disappointing launch for me. Ran into a CTD after the tutorial, during one of the cutscenes. Happens every time no matter what. And even worse, I had to play through the tutorial again each time to determine this and try things I thought my help. No luck. I was able to start a brand-new game without the tutorial and progress a short ways, and the game looks beautiful and seems to run well on my rig, but I'm a bit afraid of crashes. Am very tired now, so am just going to give up and go to bed. I may start again tomorrow, or I may just say fuck it and wait for patches while I finish off the run of Enemy Within I still haven't quite wrapped up.

Hopefully some fixes come soon. The game looks and feels so good. I really want to get into it.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 05, 2016, 01:49:37 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Friday, February 05, 2016, 04:35:56 AM »
Damn, man. Hopefully it'll run crash-free for you soon.

It's been a pretty smooth ride for me in terms of game performance. Controls are great and the mouse is so much more responsive than the EU and EW. I haven't had any accidental moves or anything :D

I've also noticed that, oddly enough, the gamepad works but there are no onscreen prompts for the buttons or anything. So it looks like the game was built with the capability (in case they decided to port it to consoles) but they really focused on the PC experience; that's highly appreciated.

In terms of the gameplay and story, it is really doing a number on a nerves ;D the emotional state runs the gamut from dire desperation to bittersweet triumph; some moments can be beautifully heartbreaking.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 05, 2016, 07:13:04 AM by Xessive »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, February 06, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »
Had much better luck last night. Ended up playing for almost 5 hours straight. So whatever that tutorial crash bug, everything's been solid and stable so far. I haven't even had any performance gripes. There are the little pauses between actions and enemy reactions, which sucks, but that's just the game thinking or whatever. Everything has felt great for me so far other than the early frustrations with the tutorial crashing. You do miss a bit not being able to do the tutorial. There's a basic mission you get with a bit of story (that much I played), then a separate mission where you retrieve something, and I couldn't do that part. You also miss a little moment with Bradford in the command center. But otherwise you get everything else, including the introductions of Tygan and Shen, so it's not really a huge deal. I just watched those on youtube and started a new game sans tutorial, and things have been smooth sailing since.

Just the FEEL of the game is so great. The fluidity and speed increase is so welcome, and everything looks good in the same fluid way. Just feels looser, less like a game. I'm absolutely loving it so far. Have only had a couple deaths, which weren't tremendously heartbreaking, but I'm making some fun characters as I go (more than I thought I would), and have made I think 5 goofy characters for the pool. It's all great stuff and I'm really happy with how the game turned out, by and large.

EDIT -

So I've got a playlist going here:

I really wish more of you guys streamed stuff. I'd love to just hang out and watch my friends play a little here and there. Listening to Sy talk about the game made me want to see his setup and approach.

EDIT x2 -

Man, is nobody else playing this? Having such a great time with it. I lost my first campaign and have started another, this one going much better so far. Though I'm about to hit the blacksite and take the real first test. Definitely still a little rough around the edges, which is a shame, but I haven't had any issues with performance or with any big bugs. Mostly just piddly stuff for the time being. Even though I've been playing steadily I wish I had more time to play.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 11, 2016, 10:55:47 PM by Quemaqua »