Author Topic: Get a free Wallace & Gromit episode! Today only!  (Read 1058 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Get a free Wallace & Gromit episode! Today only!
« on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 05:14:08 PM »
Celebrating 20 years of W&G with a free episode of the Telltale Adventures.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Get a free Wallace & Gromit episode! Today only!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 05:31:32 PM »
Thanks, Idol.

Though, it says this is going on until Monday Nov 9th.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »
Really? I must have gotten some wrong info (and I didnt let all the images load on the site so...)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 07:09:14 PM »
Really? I must have gotten some wrong info (and I didnt let all the images load on the site so...)

That's what it says on the site - it's going on until the 9th.
*shrug*
Damn those images not loading fully on your 56K!

Regardless, I'm downloading now - got nothing else better to do, really.

Well, until I get into a mood to replay Borderlands...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 09:30:15 PM »
I tried twice to download this tonight.  It quit with an error both times, after downloading for over half hour each time.  I'll try again tomorrow, if it will let me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 10:30:14 PM »
Dang, this is one of those things I'd love to try but I know I don't have time for it.  Kind of sucks.  I'm curious to hear how the games turn out, though.  They look pretty great.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 09:27:02 AM »
I tried again just now.  I got much better download speed, but it still failed at around the same size (331 MB).  Don't know what the deal is.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
Thats really strange.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 10:21:23 AM »
Cobra, try using a download manager with resume capability like the DownloadThemAll plugin for Firefox. If it fails you just click resume and it should reconnect and continue the download.

I've had several situations like that. Gamershell.com used to crap out on me about half-way through, and it really sucks when the files were huge.

Alternatively, as long as you register your e-mail and password on the page Idol linked above you can download a torrent (or otherwise) and log in with your legitimate account.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »
Thanks.  That last suggestion may be the way to go.  The thing is I was getting 1.1 MB/sec (~9 mbps) sustained speed today, which means it was going to download in less than 10 minutes.  Yesterday, the speed was much slower, but clearly bandwidth demand isn't the issue now.  I have a feeling there's a problem with the file being served, and a download manager isn't going to cure that.  (I have one lying around somewhere.  I haven't bothered to reinstall it since my system hard drive crash.)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »
I finally got this downloaded and played through it all in one sitting because I love adventure games and Wallace & Gromit. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Telltale is becoming one of my favorite developers. I can't wait to pick up the full series of this, Sam & Max season 2, and Tales of Monkey Island.

One thing of special note is how well they made the characters look like clay. The bump map is rough and has fingerprints and such in it but doesn't make them look fake, shiny, or plastic. It looks great and really captures the stop-motion look.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »
FDM finally did the trick for me.  There is a problem at that end, though.  It got to 99%, then sat with no progress ("0 B") for about 10 minutes (with occasional jumps to impossible speeds that lead me to think it retried the download with the completed part coming from a local cache of some sort).

I have to play with a quality of 3 to prevent lag on my system, which keeps me from appreciating that fine detail in the texturing, I'm, sure.  My problem is a general one:  I don't much get into this genre.  I like the humor and the themes, but as soon as I get stuck on something, I tend to quit, and never go back.  It does look like a very fine point-and-clicker, though.