Author Topic: Codemasters on DRM, selling unfinished games, and DLC to complete the game  (Read 1091 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Codemasters' CEO Rod Cousens speaks on DRM; selling unfinished games at a cheaper price; and then selling more optional DLC (micro-transactions) to complete the game.

Now, honestly...I really don't like this idea too much, honestly - b/c out-the-box and day the game's released, you always feel you should have the complete experience in your hands - regardless of how long or short the game is.

DLC
The point of DLC and micro-transactions is supposed to be like that of an expansion - add more NEW content to a game that is really optional. I mean, just see The Borderlands DLC model for Zombie Island Dr. Ned, you'll get what I'm driving at - adding new self-contained storylines and experiences to the original game. Another example - see stuff like say Fallout 3's Point Lookout, The Pitt, and Mothership Zeta, which are adding new self-contained storylines and experiences to the original game.

DLC experiences like say Assassin's Creed 2, which add missing chapters back into the game somewhere...ugh...that feels like stuff/content that should've been there in the game in the very first place.

Cheaper Retail Games (B/c it's unfinished)
Though, the idea of having the game starting at retail cheaper is VERY interesting. That's the only idea I really like out of the whole thing here.

The idea of selling a game cheaper might lure the player in, but still - it ain't done. Once they get dropped to the "Please buy more content" screen or "To Be Continued" screen, they might feel screwed. There might be major story-arcs left hanging. I'm sure many felt screwed w/ the game just stopping in what feels to be the middle of the story to say "To Be Continued..." like Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 did just wouldn't roll w/ many gamers - especially if the game ain't complete, in the first place.

Also, some problems I see w/ their business model.
Say Codemasters releases The MysterD Chronicles RPG for say $20 and the dev' team ain't done w/ it all. Say the majority of the public loves the game, but it just sells like crap - well, the story likely will be left hanging b/c publisher won't want the rest of the game finished b/c of its lack of sales and the fan-base will be screwed - since too many storylines are probably left hanging in the first place.

Another scenario - say the game is just TOO bleeping long-winded, like a MysterD post - or even like this entire post here. :oP Well, if a majority of the public doesn't finish the game, what would make the public want to invest in the rest of the game via micro-transactions/DLC?

Also, if someone pirates the original incomplete box, what makes Codemasters (or any other dev's or publishers) think they won't pirate the DLC? There would have to be a hell of a lot of DLC's released, if they want the pirates to give up on cracking the game + DLC's. Lots of patches might help the publisher, too - as the pirates would have to keep up w/ both the DLC and patches. I mean, hell - what cracker/hacker would want to keep up w/ all the TF2 updates that game got over the years?

Also, why won't some gamers just wait until said company released a Game X: Complete Edition w/ original game + ALL its extra DLC, ALL expansion, and any other option content in one big box? A lot of companies seem to be doing that, of late...

End
Okay, so...I'd like to hear some of y'all thoughts on this. And other flaws you see in this whole idea of Codemasters.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 08:58:15 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Codemasters on DRM, selling unfinished games, and DLC to complete the game
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 09:03:33 PM »
Sounds like Codemasters CEO is a retard.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 09:05:31 PM »
I'm in favor of DRM. In the end, it benefits the legitimate consumer - we all need protection, after all. I like to know that someone is watching over me and protecting me from the downfalls of corrupt society.

Offline Myst3rD

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 12:40:16 AM »
I'm in favor of DRM.

We all understand the need for companies to protect themselves, but don't you think DRM in its current form is too extreme?

Only thing I find annoying about Impulse and Steam sometimes is extra online DRM measures and/or install limit measures - i.e. STALKER: Call of Pripyat from Impulse has requires Tages activation, GTA4 from Steam has Securom Internet activation. Steam has it worse than Impulse when there's extra DRM b/c w/ Steam, you're always stuck w/ having to ALSO use Steamworks DRM and run Steam-program to even boot the game, too - Impulse just has...well, whatever DRM they want to use; Impulse isn't required to run the game - though in many games, Impulse is REQUIRED to get updates for an Impulse-purchased game.

EDIT:
About free-to-play w/ extra content costing money, if I recall, this model helped out DDO: Unlimited finally take off. One thing I hate about MMO's - when they pull the plug, you're pretty much screwed...

In the end, it benefits the legitimate consumer - we all need protection, after all.

If a game does get a legacy of some kind, hopefully it'll wind up on GOG or some other distribution channel (Steam, Impulse) to work on modern systems.

Or maybe the game company themselves will sell you a new game in the series for full price - but also include the old game(s) remastered to install and run on new systems.

You never know with these companies...

Though, it's probably gonna come down to - you might have to re-buy the game for a few dollars, again...

I like to know that someone is watching over me and protecting me from the downfalls of corrupt society.

I feel that is the only good thing about G4WL.

G4WL honestly just sucks - just all of the game profile save issues are foolish, so it surely needs fixing. I never ran into it (luckily), but there were rampant problems w/ it for PC versions of GOW, Batman AA, GTA4, and FO3. Microsoft needs to completely overhaul it on the PC - especially since they are planning to release more titles for the (Windows) PC i.e. Fable 3.

Steam's much better for MP and has a much better toolset for Friends and all of that stuff - despite its DRM and other odd quirks (i.e. blob file issues).

Oh, I agree w/ you - if say Epic released GOW on Steam, they might've had the kind of success w/ it that they hit w/ UT3 Black over Steam...

I consider Steam DRM - you damn right I do! Even worse when they packages Steamworks DRM + additional 3rd party DRM.

I've had more problems w/ other DRM types such as Securom Internet, Tages Internet, and StarForce than Steam. I can consider myself lucky, I guess - given what many people have been through with it.
*knocks on wood*

Worst problem I had w/ Steam was had to restore the Blob file once b/c My Games List wouldn't load. *shrug*

Steam w/ its (forced) updates and game updates must be a killer for you 56K'ers out there...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 16, 2010, 12:51:47 AM »
hahaha... I'm laughing my ass off right now.  Fucking brilliant, man.  Honestly.  I didn't catch it at first, but you're a genius.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野