Author Topic: This is supposed to make us shop here how?  (Read 3847 times)

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
|

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: This is supposed to make us shop here how?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:36:23 AM »
I can speak from first hand experience that Gamestop is governed primarily by prostitutes.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 01:36:01 PM »
I can speak from first hand experience that Gamestop is governed primarily by Sony.
Sounds about right.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 01:42:03 PM »
Not much of a difference there, D.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »
I would raise a massive ruckus if they ever did that around me.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 02:56:28 PM »
Wow that's a terrible thing to do.  Reminds me of what some people did for the Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince book, but this was done by a retailer, which is retarded. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »
Not much of a difference there, D.

Could've been Microsoft, possibly! :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »
I think it's great for Harry Potter just because I fucking hate Harry Potter, but yeah... this is pretty messed up.  Why would you even do that?  Of course, as Keebs stated, this is probably because the people that own EB/Gamestop are whores.  No, seriously.  They're horrendous people and should all die.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 06:16:41 PM »
Oh, c'mon -- what's the big secret?

Doesn't every Zelda end w/ Link killing Gannon for the 800th time and saving Zelda and Hyrule? :P

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 07:37:14 PM »
I think it's great for Harry Potter just because I fucking hate Harry Potter, but yeah... this is pretty messed up.  Why would you even do that?  Of course, as Keebs stated, this is probably because the people that own EB/Gamestop are whores.  No, seriously.  They're horrendous people and should all die.

They aren't even high class or even middle class whores. These are the cheap two dollar whores that turn tricks behind shady buildings and cater to broke thugs or something.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 09:37:18 PM »
Appropriate Gamestop/EB bashing image:

I rarely do business with Gamestop or EB anymore and when there's a cool preorder bonus for something I'll do it online. For the most part at the shitty location near me its a fucking crapshoot.  No thanks dicks, I'll go use my 10% discount and buy the game at my work or somewhere else like Best Buy if I have to.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 09:46:44 PM »
What I never do at places like Gamestop is buy used games, ever.  They're priced just a few dollars below the brand-new games.  I've even had employees give me lip about it, telling me that I should be buying the used copies, saving the few dollars while still getting the full warranty.  What a racket.  But even in the context of whoring, this latest travesty makes absolutely no sense to me.  Why would you want to scare your customers away like that?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:16:04 PM »
The problem is that you don't really have a better option.  If you can find a little indipendient store around you then great, but otherwise, pick your poison.

Digital distribution has it's flaws.  We all know them, no point in getting into it here.

Best Buy and other big box stores like it are not placed I generally like to give my money to.  I'm not against them because of any dislike of large corporations, but you're kidding yourselves if you think they're looking out for you any more than EB or Gamestop is. They may have the most fucked up buisness model/corporate philosophy I've ever heard of.

I don't know why they haven't gotten involved in used games (they were running trials in a few american stores a few years ago), but I can assure you it has more to do with the fact that duping people into buying lower quality products with higher markups and tricking people into buying Monster Cables is much more lucrative once you consider their buisness model.  I do know that they make almost nothing off of individual game sales (like around a dollar....if that) and pretty much break exactly even on actual consoles.  If I remember correctly from looking around their computers, they do make some cash on some peripherals, but that's about it.  I know that part of the model is that they are paid by publishers and console companies for flyer space, and in store ads.  They also may sell shelf space, but I'm not a 100% positive on that.  A lot of times they get free advertising and such, but the selling of new games isn't all that beneficial to them, even when compaired to CDs and DVDs.  I think they do it mainly to get people in the store so they can profile them.

The thing is that as consumers we're pretty much fucked.  EB/Gamestop and the like wouldn't be bad if they changed a bit.  I remember they used to pay more for used games and charge less for them.  If they went back to that it'd be fine.  Sure, the people that work there suck, but so do the people that work at most retail places.  I don't buy into the whole 'it's stealing from the developer' any more then I think buying or selling used text books, novels, or cars is stealing from their respective creators.  It's lucrative and the entire purpose of their existence is to make as much money as possible.  The gouging is the problem, but the only way to stop that is to not buy used games for $4 less.

PA is a lot more trusting of digital distribution than I am.  I think it may be just because they see it as the lesser evil rather then them being short sighted.  Either way, I'm not niave enough to think that games are going to be any cheaper or easier to get.  If anything it'll be more complicated, more restricting, and possibly more expensive when they find new ways to work us over just so we don't have to leave the couch.

Personally, I'd love an e-commerce option where I could buy directly from publishers over the internet.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:19:35 PM »
To be honest I never had many issues with EB, but this was before it was bought.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 11:17:50 AM »
Pay more and sell for less.  That's true, and such an understatement.  It wasn't that long ago that top price for used was never more than 50% of the price for new.  I just don't understand why anyone would pay anything like new prices for stuff that's already been passed around some kiddies' dirty fingers.  I made some post about this, somewhere--I forget.  I tried to word it carefully, but the whole thing was shot down with one sentence, something like "well I'm gonna save those 5 bucks".  Seriously, how can you fight against that?  As a bottom-line-only retail business, how can you not take advantage of such idiots?

I don't delude myself that Best Buy, or Circuit City, or Dastardly Deals is going to treat you any better than EB/Gamestop.  I think you're right on the money whe you say consumers are fucked.  This is what happens when a whole spoonfed society hands over all control to these corporations.  Saving those few dollars and the convenience of having everything under one massive roof trumps all else.  We got what the masses wanted.

My brother worked retail for a long while, and eventually he gave it up.  People were coming into the store and picking his brain, only to turn around and buy things online or at some flunky-staffed megamart.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 06:05:58 PM »
This is what happens when a whole spoonfed society hands over all control to these corporations.  Saving those few dollars and the convenience of having everything under one massive roof trumps all else.  We got what the masses wanted.

Welcome to why I want to move to Planet Que.  You're all welcome to join.  We just need to find a planet first.  And, you know, transportation.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 06:11:42 PM »
What I never do at places like Gamestop is buy used games, ever.
Same here.

They're priced just a few dollars below the brand-new games.
Fuck that.

If I buy a used game, the price better be a good difference b/t the used and new game. And, I want to see how good or horrible this used copy looks before I buy it.

I once got lucky. I bought a used copy big box of Baldur's Gate 2 that had w/ it The Official BG2 Strategy Guide tied to it via an elastic, from a Gamestop down south in Florida -- for $20. I looked at the copy of the guide -- almost perfect condition. Before I left the store, I looked at the CD's. Shit, it was if the owner never touched the freakin' discs. I was quite shocked. Best bargain I ever got on a new game, which was going for around $50 brand new -- and that's w/out the guide, of course.

I've even had employees give me lip about it, telling me that I should be buying the used copies, saving the few dollars while still getting the full warranty.  What a racket.  But even in the context of whoring, this latest travesty makes absolutely no sense to me.  Why would you want to scare your customers away like that?
Fuck that, give me the new copy, if that's the case.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 01:29:07 PM »
Small footnote:  Today, I was at the Kenwood mall, and I stopped by EB, cafe mocha from Starbucks in hand (the perfect image of consumerism, I must say).  I asked the guy behind the counter if they were showing any game spoilers on their screens.  "Huh?"  I clarified.  I told him I read that Gamestops were showing the end of Twilight Princess on their screens, and I wanted to know if was happening at this store as well.  He said yes, eventually it will come up.  "I can shut it off if you want me to."  Aha!  I'm not the first negative experience he's had about this.  Good!  I shook my head.  "That's unbelievable guys", I said, "unbelievable!"  I walked out waving goodbye.  Ooh, that felt so good.

I went across the street to TRU and picked up Test Drive Unlimited there.  Everything is owned by fewer and fewer people.  I hope the two business are not affiliated.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 01:57:18 PM »
Cobra it is funny now that you've related something first hand. I at times tend to be skeptical of stuff on the net, but your story confirms this whole mess. That's pretty unfreakin' believable stuff... so he confirmed it would eventually come up?

Insanity.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
Off Topic:  The Kenwood Mall?  Are you back in town, Cobra?

It's funny, I've passed by Trio like a million times in the past month.  Jennie and I are looking at houses in Deer Park.

On Topic:  So, is this like a conscious decision by Gamestop management to begin showing the end of Zelda?  If so, why?  What is the aim?  I just don't see the purpose in that decision.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 06:23:07 AM »
"Don't battle through a game you find hard! Here's the ending! Now sell it to us for not enough money!"
|

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »
Off Topic:  The Kenwood Mall?  Are you back in town, Cobra?

It's funny, I've passed by Trio like a million times in the past month.  Jennie and I are looking at houses in Deer Park.

OT also:  Yeah.  I've been back since the new year.  Sort of lying low.  I had to see a doctor about a pain in my right arm yesterday.  His office is in the Jewish Hospital office buildings, walking distance from my old house in Kenwood.  I really like that area.  If you guys decide to have kids, try getting a house in my old neighborhood, just a few blocks away from Deer Park (Frolic, Happiness Way, Styrax, Largo . . .).  It's in the Indian Hill school district.

On topic, I guess maybe the motive is that sinister.  I don't know that I want to give them that much credit for Machiavellian plotting.  Besides, would you buy the game used right after seeing the ending?  I think they're just completely disconnected from their better customers.  And they'll never know it because most of the money they bring in comes from mindless morons.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, April 12, 2007, 10:42:56 AM »
just a quick fyi. Gamestop/EB games/Barnes and Noble/B. Dalton are all owned by the same parent company.
Suck it, Pugnate.