Author Topic: Clive Barker's Jericho  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Clive Barker's Jericho
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 02:40:36 PM »
The AI isn't impressive because it's very straightforward.  That's more what I meant when I talked earlier about this being a pure shooter.  It's more about choosing targets and the best way to deplete the enemy ranks efficiently, and not really about outsmarting anybody's tactics.  Enemies take cover, they don't get stuck on stuff, and they will sometimes dance around you and keep in your blind spots, but they don't really work together in any obvious fashion, they don't really flank you or anything (though to be fair, the game's design doesn't give them much opportunity to do that in the first place, and sometimes guy spawn on multiple sides of whatever position you're holding), and they just... pretty much act straightforwardly.  Melee enemies rush you, doing their best to zigzag and dodge bullets, but they don't take cover and they don't do anything but rush you (except try to stand out of your line of sight sometimes if they get close), and distance enemies use cover and whatever, but they tend to be rather tank-like and just sort of advance slowly toward your position as they see fit.  There are some different enemy types that switch things up, like some guys with explosive ordnance that are weak and tend to stay in the enemy's back ranks instead of trying to push to the front, but on the whole the AI is just standard stuff.

Most of the combat variety comes from a few different enemy types that function differently, not necessarily act so differently.  There are some roman soldier type guys that have these huge shields they can deflect weapons fire with, there are suicide bomber guys that have yellow pustules that need to be shot off before they reach you in order to detonate them safely, and that sort of thing.

All this to say... the AI doesn't do anything stupid, it just doesn't do anything smart.  This goes for your squad mates (who at least use cover well most of the time, and have only on a few occasions just stood there getting shot, and it's only the healer guy that's done that) and enemies.

EDIT - Also, let me know if you guys are interested in a gameplay video.  Most of the ones floating around YouTube don't seem so great.  If there's interest, I can try to do a quick one at better resolution and stuff to show off some of what I think is cool about the game.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 03:01:01 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 03:02:49 PM »
At least the AI isn't too stupid -- on pathfinding and that kind of stuff. In the FPS games, for me, nothing's more annoying than you shoot an enemy in the head, and its mate right next to 'em just stands there and does...practically NOTHING. Also, it's very annoying when NPC's getting stuck somewhere, trying to figure out where to go.

Or, when an AI member gets in your way -- and bang, they're dead and you have to reload your last save b/c you need to keep that NPC alive. One thing I really liked about R6: Vegas was for my teammates, that I could bring them energy back to their feet if they get knocked down and hurt -- that's if I can get to them and get the chance to revive them. It was hard in Vegas to get your NPC to actually die, to fail the mission and all. You really had to not tend to the NPC for a while and let them to continue to be shot and hit, for that to actually happen.  I only done it like 4 times, in all my time of playing it -- though, I've revived the NPC's on numerous occasions. So, yeah -- that's a pretty good game mechanic. Also, one thing I liked about Doom 3 was if a NPC teammates died, I didn't fail the mission and have to start over -- the NPC's weren't needed to keep going; the game still went on, with or without them.

To me, Jericho does look like a fun shooter -- and the graphics do look pretty good, to say the damn least. I'll have to eventually snag it, when it gets cheaper, since my wallet is aiming towards The Witcher.

With the PC this year having STALKER, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Jericho, Crysis, GoW PC, and a handful of other shooters that have came out already this year or are coming out before the actual end of this year -- hell, this been a pretty good FPS year on the PC!!!

Quote from: Que
It's basically just a standard run and gun shooter with high body counts, extended gunplay, and relatively target-practice AI, but it's got the cool squad member mechanics, the ability to switch between the different characters (who really do play completely differently from what I understand, and the demo would confirm that)
You can switch from squad member to squad member as you play?
Hey, that sounds pretty cool -- especially since you say they play different.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, October 28, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »
Finished the game, loved the whole thing.  The negative reviews are a bunch of bull, for absolute certain.  Everything I said still stands.  I'm going to be playing through it again soon.  PC version has unlockable stuff via 360-like achievements, so I'll have to go through on Hard to get those, and also starting doing more specific things like killing enemies with melee weapons, popping heads, and making guys explode.

Also, longest credits sequence EVAR.  And the ending is sort of... not an ending.  Very abrupt, but leaving room for a sequel.  I sure hope the bad reviews don't kill this game and fuck over the plot.  It starts really generically, but what they do with it turns out to be quite a fun experience in the end.

EDIT - Also, a quick googling indicates that there's a program that unlocks all the bonus content.  Fuck Codemasters in the ass for that "hey, give me money so you can cheat" garbage.  I downloaded it, scanned it for viruses, used it... and viola, no more "survival events" (though honestly, I think the world is full of pussies -- I had next to no trouble with a single one of them).

EDIT x2 - Who wants a gameplay video?  30-something megs, pretty nice resolution, some fun and obscenely violent gameplay.  There's some weird skipping at the end because my machine was choking on something, and it doesn't run quite as smooth as it would if I wasn't taking video while playing, but it features a few cool moments that highlight the general pace and visceral feel of the gameplay pretty well.  Combine this with playing the demo and you should have a good idea of what the game is like.  Two minutes, twenty-two seconds long, featuring two different segments of the same location (and only two characters, though you get see the whole squad -- just not firsthand).

EDIT x3 - YouTube version for those who like their videos small and blurry.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2007, 01:12:45 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #43 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 01:09:45 AM »
I don't get most of the negative reviews. I loved the demo! The small glimpse the demo gave was a pretty good one. I was happy with the controls, graphics, sound, overall ambience and environment, and how well it immersed me!

Obviously I'm not gonna make any conclusive judgements until I've played the full game, but I am optimistic.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #45 on: Monday, October 29, 2007, 08:48:29 PM »
Surprisingly, on the whole, I actually agree with his general assessment.  It goes with what I said - this is an attempt at a triple-A game by a non-triple-A developer, and it does feel like it sometimes forgets its own potential.  However, I don't feel that the problems are major, obviously.  A 6.5 seems quite low for how much fun I had despite the minor flaws.

However, not surprisingly, this review is by Kevin VanOrd, who I fucking hate and think is a complete idiot.  I've hated this guy for a while, and hopefully the following points show him for the fuckwit that he is.

Then, add to the mix the game's most annoying (and annoyingly common) foes: demons that explode upon death. The things lumber along quickly and take down any nearby character when they fall. And, like most of Jericho's supersturdy enemies, they absorb a good number of bullets before they die. On its own, it's a perfectly legitimate enemy design. But in a game with six squad members and the most claustrophobic levels ever devised, it's the opposite of fun. You'll watch in horror as your entire squad goes down at once and you are powerless to stop the violence. Why would you create an enemy that needs to be taken down from a distance, in a game that doesn't let you distance yourself? Maybe it's meant to be a challenge, but in reality, it's just imbalanced and cheap. We suspect it's all done under the guise of being "tactical," but this is no tactical shooter. Enemies just mindlessly traipse toward you, so the extent of your tactics is switching between characters to use their abilities in tandem.

WRONG, dickwad.  The exploding guys (who aren't demons, by the way, but corrupted cultists) can't "absorb a good number of bullets".  They are, in fact, invincible.  You can't kill them by depleting their health, only by shooting specific weak points on their bodies.  No wonder you didn't like them.  You were too stupid to figure out how to kill them.

The story itself never really takes advantage of all this thick, fearful ambience. The setup is pretty awesome on its own, though. In the beginning, God didn't create Adam and Eve--He created a sexless being known as the firstborn. Turns out that whole experiment didn't work out too well, and the thing got locked away in an alternate reality, where it occasionally gets too bored and tries to escape. The secretive Jericho squad exists to shove the firstborn back where it belongs. Too bad the script itself is just a thin slice of nonsense, featuring far too many hokey one-liners ("praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!") than good taste allows. And just when you are finally getting into it, the game ends with a lame boss fight without answering any of the main questions it raised. Leaving room for a sequel is one thing; creating a story that literally goes nowhere is something else entirely.

The story setup is actually pretty awful.  It's been done before a jillion times in various forms.  And the script itself is fine.  His single quoted line is obviously supposed to be farse, which he plainly doesn't get, and while this stuff isn't going to win any awards, it's perfectly functional, occasionally amusing, and I never found anything annoying.  Also, after the initial boring plot setup, what the game does with the plot is actually pretty fun, and while the ending is indeed terrible (cliffhanger city), it raises several points that actually make the concept of the plot seem far more intriguing than it did at any other point.  So I can't agree with him there, either, though we can both agree that it was too abrupt and could have been handled better.  I'd love to see a sequel based on where they went with it at the end.

He goes on to complain that certain animations for powers take too long, which is obviously subjective since I don't find that to be the case at all, bitches about the level design which I thought was mostly functional, if not particularly standout in any regard, and he complains that everything is very linear and close quarters, but that's where learning how to play the game properly would come in.  I found myself dying from tight areas where my guys got killed, so I learned how to direct them and spread them out a bit.  Problem solved.  Complaining about that seems to me to be like complaining about having to click on things in an RTS game.

However, he's smart when he says that this is a love it or hate it game, because that's the truth, I just don't agree that you have to "see behind the shit" to get to the good stuff.  I find the good stuff to be paramount, and the bad stuff mostly just stays in the background.

Anyway... I've rambled enough.  Case in point, I don't agree, but I do agree.  His general assessment taken as an overall thing is fairly accurate, he's just far too critical about certain elements and plainly doesn't understand why certain things are the way the are.  He's done the same thing with several other reviews, so I don't find this surprising in the least.

EDIT - Oh, and the other point I forgot to add was that the PC version does not have long load times as this guy would have you believe.  Mine were literally about 5 seconds long most of the time.  If you can't wait that long, you have problems.  I've heard the console times aren't so hot, though.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2007, 11:49:13 PM »
I just read IGN's review. 5.6...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2007, 12:06:29 AM »
IGN is full of idiots, and again, the IGN UK review was 8 something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 06:51:17 PM »
For those looking for Jericho PC....
Amazon got Jericho PC on sale for $16.99.
(before shipping costs).

Cheapest I seen that listed for.

Though, to get that free saver shipping, you'll also want to look for something else qualifying for free saver shipping, just to push you over that $25 minimum requirement to get you that free saver shipping.

EDIT:
Actually, according to CAG Insanity List (which is a list comprised, in which gamers jumped in on the "50% discount from games that are below $20 list"), someone got Jericho PC for $8.50.

It's all "milage may vary", of course, since some CC's have reported the same games for a little different prices at other CC stores -- but if you got a very close nearby CC, worth price checking some stuff out...
« Last Edit: Monday, February 11, 2008, 07:39:40 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 07:03:10 PM »
I am interested in a gameplay video.  I don't know why I haven't come across this before.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »
I am interested in a gameplay video.  I don't know why I haven't come across this before.

Game Vid:
Here ya go.

Character Vids of different squad members and their unique skills:
Billie
Father Paul

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #51 on: Monday, February 11, 2008, 08:37:33 PM »
Bitch, I had you covered in October!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »
Bitch, I had you covered in October!

That vid's pretty sweet! :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
This is something I think Que might really like...
Click me!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #54 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »
Nice link, I'll have to check that out.  I don't really remember the soundtrack if I liked the soundtrack or not.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »
Nice link, I'll have to check that out.  I don't really remember the soundtrack if I liked the soundtrack or not.

I started the game earlier -- and so far, I do like it quite a bit.

The gameplay and action is flat-out awesome, so far. I really like the character switching aspect a lot. And it really adds to the game that they all got their own weapons and abilities, too. The controls are excellent, too. The story and the monsters is all good stuff, too.

I really like the load times are like very quick. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about -- more games need to look at aiming for that! :P

One complaint, so far -- 800x600 was a disaster for me, staying around 15-20 frames (even on LOW). :( 640x480, it runs very well -- 25-35 frames, or so. It's really not a super-big deal really, as I'm enjoying this thing so far.

So, umm.....why the hell did this game such low scores???  :o

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #56 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »
I honestly couldn't tell you.  There were a few things that could have been improved or removed (the button-press sequences were a little lame), but it was a perfectly solid FPS that I enjoyed from start to finish.  In particular I enjoyed the little details like the way the camera moved... it had a much more organic feel to it where you got the impression of head movement much better than most other games.  There was nothing entirely revolutionary, and I can see taste dictating whether or not you'd like the mix of squad combat with the sometimes tight quarters, but the universally low scores to me are just another example of the complete lack of objectivity in the gaming press.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Monday, February 18, 2008, 12:24:50 PM »
I honestly couldn't tell you.  There were a few things that could have been improved or removed (the button-press sequences were a little lame), but it was a perfectly solid FPS that I enjoyed from start to finish.  In particular I enjoyed the little details like the way the camera moved... it had a much more organic feel to it where you got the impression of head movement much better than most other games.  There was nothing entirely revolutionary, and I can see taste dictating whether or not you'd like the mix of squad combat with the sometimes tight quarters, but the universally low scores to me are just another example of the complete lack of objectivity in the gaming press.
No, it's not revolutionary by any means -- but, it is pretty damn good at what it does (so far).

I really love the dynamic w/ the characters having their own unique abilities and the character switching option. I liked the game without out it when it was getting going, but once the game opens that up, it just makes the game ever better and a whole lot more fun.

I dunno, but I have no problems w/ having such tight quarters with the squad combat in this game. Were reviewers complaining too many of their squad-mates getting killed at once in a tight area? LOL. That don't bug me -- you just handles yours, then heal who you can when you can. Plus, when your current character gets swiped, it switches you off -- letting you get a chance to be other characters. The combat in this is definitely intense, too.

Funny, how nobody complained about Doom 3, when you had so many tight quarters there...and sometimes, you even had another guy w/ you. Well, it's not 6 or 7 in your party like Jericho, but still...

Oh, I like the way the characters and their personalities are always interacting in Jericho, too.

EDIT, 2/24/2008:
Just finished this thing. Yeah, it was good.

Still baffles me how the scores were so low on this one. IGN UK giving it a 8.0 or so, that's sounds more ballpark than anything else I've seen for scores.

Really though -- the presentation, voice-acting, and action was top-notch. Story was good and interesting. Loved the whole character switching dynamic.

My biggest complaints: had to run it on a low res' to get it running good and that the ending is a big cliffhanger.

So, yeah -- is there a Jericho 2 planned...?

ENDING Stuff
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 24, 2008, 05:28:27 PM by MysterD »