Author Topic: Marie Antoinette  (Read 20453 times)

Offline ender

Marie Antoinette
« on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 11:06:45 PM »
Really well done. It's like period piece meets John Hughes' teen angst films. Great soundtrack and the performances bring you into the world better than any other film of it's type I've see. I felt like these young people were real teenagers doing the same exact things kids do now... just in a different period. Sofia Coppola for me pretty much has a flawless track record so far... oh, except for that shit performance in Godfather III... but that whole film sucked anyway.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Marie Antoinette
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 02:52:31 PM »
I dunno'.  I think Sofia Coppola is pretty cool, but I *hate* the previews for this I've seen on TV.  It just looks horrible.  It may well not be, but it *looks* horrible.  There's nothing about it that makes me want to see it, and a lot of things that make me not want to.  Whoever did the ad campaign for it should be shot in the face.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ender

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 08:58:07 PM »
I dunno, it seems like you just post about hating anything haha.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 09:09:15 PM »
I'm gonna agree with that.

Not sure what it is, but I've actually started to want to see the movie the past couple of days. Maybe it's just the twist on the whole period or something. I doubt it'll happen soon, but I would like to see it eventually.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 09:21:09 PM »

Sold.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 10:22:03 PM »
Heh, nice.

But no, I'm being completely serious.  The ads are just so horribly... thin.  Lackluster.  Like grey cardboard with red crayon on top.  Like somebody just threw some pink lip gloss on a dead chick.  I don't know how else to say it.  They just make the whole film look really unappealing to me and, though they try to bring the movie's concept *in*to focus, they really pull me away from it with this formulaic feeling.  Again, I have no idea about the movie itself, and from what I've heard it sounds like it could be quite a good film, I'm strictly talking about what I've seen of it thus far, which has been the TV spots.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 05:27:54 AM »
I dunno'.  I think Sofia Coppola is pretty cool, but I *hate* the previews for this I've seen on TV.  It just looks horrible.  It may well not be, but it *looks* horrible.  There's nothing about it that makes me want to see it, and a lot of things that make me not want to.  Whoever did the ad campaign for it should be shot in the face.
I know exactly how you feel! I hate the ads!! I have no interest in watching the movie anyway.. I hate the setting period.. The excessive use of make-up, the flamboyant fashion, and the ridiculous white wigs turn me off completely.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 01:43:35 AM »
I personally think the trailers have turned me off completely from the movie.  The Strokes doesn't fit the period at all.  Again, this isn't about the movie itself, but rather directed on how the trailers aren't convincing me to see it at all.  The other thing is that they don't convey a biopic feel at all.  If I didn't know the story very well I might be convinced by reviews, but I do and I see little reason to risk going.

That's just me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, February 24, 2007, 03:39:15 PM »
Saw this one last weekend on DVD.
Was good. Yuh, I actually liked it.

It was better than the Virgin Suicides (another Sofia movie I liked).
Though, Marie's definitely no LiT. Lost In Translation, if you ask me, is Sofia's masterpiece. Loved that movie.

BTW, whoever designed those gorgeous outfits and beautiful looking sets they filmed that movie in -- wow....Hell of a job!