Author Topic: Animated Shows  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Animated Shows
« on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 08:46:52 PM »
I just got two of my favourite shows on DVD!

Pink and The Brain is awesome, and I get it even more now than I did before! Still cracks me up :P

Batman Beyond is still my favourite Batman animated series. Apparently there were a few crossover episodes with Justice League Unlimited, Static Shock, and The Zeta Project. Anyway I love it, Terry McGinnis is a great successor, and Batman's a frickin' ninja!

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Animated Shows
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 09:12:39 PM »
I like some of Batman Beyond, but I like the original Batman animated series much much more along with Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.  Also there was only one crossover episode with Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited as far as I know, it was titled Epilogue, it was the last episode of Justice League Unlimited Season 2 and it was pretty good.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 09:52:58 PM »
I like some of Batman Beyond, but I like the original Batman animated series much much more along with Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.  Also there was only one crossover episode with Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited as far as I know, it was titled Epilogue, it was the last episode of Justice League Unlimited Season 2 and it was pretty good.
I just looked it up, and there were 3 crossover episodes with JLU. "Epilogue" and the two parts of "The Once and Future Thing" (the last two episodes of season 3).

I definitely love the classic Batman animated shows. They were great, but Batman Beyond captured me :P

I check out the more recent The Batman and I didn't like it much.. Between the weird art, and complete renovation of all the characters it just feels like it strayed too far out. The Joker comes off as more of a mischievious grunt than a malicious and hysterical criminal mind. He also seems too disconnected with Batman, as oppose to the original plot where Bruce is actually very distrought with The Joker, since he was responsible for his parents' death.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 10:09:21 PM »
They dont have Freakazoid out anywhere, do they?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 10:13:22 PM »
Oh that was a sweet show too! I recorded many episodes on VHS back home :P but I haven't seen it on DVD anywhere.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 10:51:06 PM »
I want to buy Beserk really bad, its anime, but yea, its an animated show.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 11:05:28 PM »
Maybe this would be good to try?  I haven't seen this edition before, but it looks like a US release of the 3-CD version that I bought and then gave to Sy.  Hell, it's awfully cheap.  That's like the price of a single DVD, and quite something when you consider that the original set is like $120 still.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 11:50:17 PM »
Berserk was amazing! It's a real shame it was cut off at 26 episodes without a conclusion. You're literally left with a cliffhanger. I have all the episodes as DVD-ripped fansubs. It was a great story, I really liked it, and the manga was pretty sweet too. I remember there was a Dreamcast game about it too, but it was set way after the events of the anime.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 12:49:48 AM »

I actually have that entire series on my computer, good stuff.  Also I have yet to see the last 6 episodes of Justice League Unlimited Season 3, so that explains why I didn't know about the other crossovers, need to watch those sometime.  Also, yes Berserk is awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 12:59:41 AM »
Berserk was amazing! It's a real shame it was cut off at 26 episodes without a conclusion. You're literally left with a cliffhanger. I have all the episodes as DVD-ripped fansubs. It was a great story, I really liked it, and the manga was pretty sweet too. I remember there was a Dreamcast game about it too, but it was set way after the events of the anime.

I'm a super hardcore fan.  I like the anime more than the manga, but the manga continues the story (and gets pretty damned awesome as it goes along).  Not sure I like where it started heading in the last volumes I read (which were around volume 25, I think), but... we'll see.  I'm curious as ever.  I love the fact that the guy is still working on it and that we're finally getting a real English release of it.

But yeah, I love watching people watch the last few episodes of the anime.  When I first saw it, my jaw was on the fucking floor.  I just couldn't believe what I was watching.  I had expected something crazy, but nothing nearly as crazy as I got.

And the game was actually quite good.  It was a fairly standard action thing gameplay-wise, but it had over an hour of cutscenes and an original story that wasn't in the anime or manga... and it wasn't a cut-rate story at all.  That was actually how I got introduced to the series, because I realized that something that cool didn't just come out of nowhere.  It had to have been based on something.  I managed to find the first episode of the anime fansubbed and just instantly knew I had to get the rest of it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 01:04:52 AM »
Haha oh man, I remember watching the last few episodes of the anime! I didn't expect everything to go so crazy so suddenly! It blew my mind man! It was really sad! I nearly teared!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 04:32:10 AM »
I have to see this now, but the lack of a conclusion disturbs me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 06:23:42 AM »
I have to see this now, but the lack of a conclusion disturbs me.
Yeah man, it was a total bummer. Apparently the funding ran out and the project was cancelled. It was a great series.. The funny thing is that everything but the first episode is a flashback.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 07:21:49 AM »
There really should have been another season.  I like the anime because it's a bit more toned down from the manga.  The manga is a little more... over the top.  Extra violent, there's more raping and pillaging, a lot more sexual content.  I rather liked the less gruesome focus of the anime, which is still plenty heavy handed.  And the anime is extremely true to the original content regardless.  Reading some of the monologues in the manga after the fact, you'll realize a lot of it is like word for word.

And don't let the ending kill you.  Just watch it anyway.  You can always find out what happens by grabbing the manga, which is really well worth reading.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 07:29:33 AM »
I love Berserk... defintely in my top 5 anime. I would love to see a new season!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 09:53:33 PM »
You know what's an awesome animated show.  Venture Bros. It just plain rocks.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 09:55:23 PM »
You know what's an awesome animated show.  Venture Bros. It just plain rocks.

Hell yeah, can't wait till they put Season 2 on DVD.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 10:28:33 PM »
Agreed.  One of the only shows on TV I care about watching.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 11:26:11 PM »
The Venture Bros. kicks ass ;D All the characters are great!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 12:11:56 AM »
Man I remember our Batman Beyond days. That was nuts.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 12:20:15 AM »
Man I remember our Batman Beyond days. That was nuts.
Haha good times :P I still remember when you first showed me Return Of The Joker!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #21 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 02:46:13 AM »
haha remember I bought it again just for a few uncut scenes? haha

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #22 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 02:48:01 AM »
haha remember I bought it again just for a few uncut scenes? haha
It was worth it ;D You gave me the old copy too, so I was happy :P I'm gonna watch that again tonight in your honour!

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 03:52:33 PM »
Prison rape isn't funny, except maybe this time.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #24 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 05:41:10 PM »
Haha yeah taht was funny :P

"You're here because you done f*cked up too many times!! You think you're hot shit in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a dixie cup!" -The Monarch