Author Topic: Nintendo to release new DS model?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Nintendo to release new DS model?
« on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 07:21:48 PM »
Looks like it.

Supposedly will have a built in camera, possible SD slot for music playing and other data, possible larger screens. Nintendo is supposed to have some announcement to make Thursday, so we'll see.

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
Re: Nintendo to release new DS model?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 08:40:39 PM »
Hmm that's kinda lame.  Just seems like nintendo is just jumping on the multi use device bandwagon.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
Yea... I kinda agree with Dragonlor, but Ill probably be getting it anyway. I just love the DS and since my phone/mp3 player sucks ass, I could use another multi device. And probably replace the phone I got with something more decent.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 01:17:03 AM »
They need to get some less casual games for the Wii.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 01:58:41 AM »
They need to get some less casual games for the Wii.

But casual games is their new slogan.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 03:23:42 AM »
Hmm that's kinda lame.  Just seems like nintendo is just jumping on the multi use device bandwagon.

While having a camera would be sorta cool, the problem is that sorta thing eats up battery power.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
The DS has to compete with the PSP somehow, and the best way to appeal to a broader market by adding these new features and functions.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 02:22:13 PM »
Actually, I think it's the other way around. The DS pretty much mopped the floor with the PSP in terms of sales and success.

I'm sorta surprised we're not getting an entirely new handheld yet. The GBA had a life of about 4 years and that's pretty much where we are with the DS now. There were two major iterations with the GBA as well (SP and Micro). If the DS is going to parallel the GBA, we're about due for the DSII(four screens?) or even 3S.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
Actually, I think it's the other way around. The DS pretty much mopped the floor with the PSP in terms of sales and success.

I'm sorta surprised we're not getting an entirely new handheld yet. The GBA had a life of about 4 years and that's pretty much where we are with the DS now. There were two major iterations with the GBA as well (SP and Micro). If the DS is going to parallel the GBA, we're about due for the DSII(four screens?) or even 3S.
Nintendo's portables always kick ass and outlive any competitors. I'm just saying from the sense that the PSP had to adapt and give something more in order to have a chance against the DS, setting a new standard for portables (the PSP is more than just a gaming toy). Now the DS is matching up to that standard and will inevitably kick the snot out of the PSP again.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 08:45:06 PM »
Yup, in terms of success, the PSP isn't in the same league as the DS.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
I hope the camera faces out from the DS, and not towards the player. How am I supposed to compose shots without being able to see the screen? I don't really care if a game can "see" me. Other than pasting my boring face onto a boss or something, what can you do with it facing the player at all times?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 09:34:16 PM »
I bet you that it will face out from at least one screen for the possibility of video chat and strange in game stuff. They've already got the microphone going. You know what would be really smart? If the system can open completely so that the screens face in both directions. That way you can use it for game by opening it as much as a normal DS and open it all the way around so you can use it like a camera.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 28, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »
Or, interesting thought, what if it was like one of those tablet PCs? Opens like a laptop, screen swivels around and lays back down.

So, camera is on the top half. Open, swivel...but dont close. Now the camera and one screen faces out and one faces the holder. Both screens can display the image to be taken to the taker and the subject.

For gameplay stuff, have both screens be touchscreens. So you can fold the thing down like a tablet and use just the one screen for games that don't need two. Nintendo could offer apps and stuff that take advantage of that mode. It would be almost iPhone-like.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 12:46:30 AM »
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that anything to do with the camera is going to be retarded.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
If it points at the user, absolutely.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »
Or anywhere as far as I'm concerned. I don't know what they could do gameplay wise that wouldn't be lame and it's not like I need another camera - they throw them on everything these days.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Monday, September 29, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
Idol brings up an interesting idea, but ultimately I think that it couldn't possibly be very robust. You have to remember kids use these things too. It wouldy last six months.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 06:53:47 AM »
I hate when Nintendo forces us to upgrade an already established product or face alienation. The camera I can do without, but not having the SD slot, dual touch screen or the bigger screen makes me think I'm going to be missing out on a lot of games.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »
I completely agree.  This breaks the rules.  If you buy a console, it's supposed to be good to go through its lifetime.  Upgrade mania belongs in the PC world.  I have no problem with new peripherals, typically introduced together with the first software to take advantage of them.  But to require the loyal users to ditch a whole console and buy a new one is plain wrong.  As long as the games keep working, and the new features are simply added value, it's OK by me.  But the first game to come out requiring the new hardware better include it in the box for no more than the price of a new controller, or they've broken the trust of their fanbase.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
I have to think the only games that will use the dual touchscreen will be Nintendo games, and probably only a couple at first... maybe more later.  I doubt 3rd parties will use it as it would cut off the rest of the presently huge installed base of existing DS and DS Lite models.  Maybe it will be like an extra feature in some games, but not required.  I don't know.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »
Its real. Nintendo DSi

Slightly smaller
GBA slot removed
SD slot added
300,000 pixel (640x480) camera [Mixed reports on 1 or 2 cameras. We know one faces AWAY from the player on the lid.)
Edit pics, transfer them around with the SD card to Wii (and PC, heh)
More on-board memory for...
DS Ware. Browser (Opera) and other apps will be available. Mixed reports on VC support
Larger screens, both touch sensitive

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 10:45:14 PM »
GBA slot removed?!  That kills all interest I may ever have in it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »
Someone did a better recap. C&P ahoy!

Nintendo DSi
- 3.25 inch screens (DS = 3 inch)
- Has an inside and outside camera, 0.3 megapixels
- Has SD slot on right-hand side.
- Has onboard memory
- Comes with web browser
- Comes with app to detect some DS hotspots
- Has Apps store like iPod
- Apps are free/300/500/800 points
- Other apps include an app that allows you to make flipbooks using the cameras
- No GBA slot
- 18900 yen
- 1000 points for free if you buy before march 2010
- Possibly minorly upped resolution
- November in Japan, 2009 elsewhere.
- Black and white versions.

Seems the dual touch screen might be a mistranslation. Which would make sense since games that used both touch screens wouldn't be compatible with the old DS Lites. I don't think thats what Nintendo would want to do.

2 cameras confirmed on Nintendos site.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »
Nice, maybe now I'll buy an old GBA compatible DS without the lame ass camera.