Author Topic: Well that was fast.  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Well that was fast.
« on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 10:27:26 AM »
Oblivion to PS3 and PSP

I have to say I am a little disappointed, but the game should be a lot of fun on a PSP. You could relax on your sofa and play that sucker for ages.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Well that was fast.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 10:35:21 AM »
Funky. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version runs way better than the 360 version.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 10:38:01 AM »
Considering how the hardware is a bit better and plus it has had time to be refined.

Anyway another cool thing to come out of this is the fanboy wars. Which is just going to cool to read through on a rainy day.... especially when screenies are compared haha.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 01:03:22 PM »
Haha oh man, the fanboys are gonna create a saga out of this! Fanboys of the future will be reading about how their fanboy grandparents fought in Console War 2!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 01:34:34 PM »
So, will the new additional PS3 "Knights of the Nine" quests be a plug-in to purchase on the PC? And maybe the X360?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 01:45:39 PM »
I remember reading that somewhere. Check the Official Elder Scrolls forums. They've got a lot of discussion going on about that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
I remember reading that somewhere. Check the Official Elder Scrolls forums. They've got a lot of discussion going on about that.

I'm checking right now on there....

No definite answer, yet, that I can find....

Would be cool if it does come to the PC.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 01:56:26 PM »
I doubt Bethesda would turn their backs on their #1 following: PC players. However, Sony does have a lot of money so anything is possible.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 06:55:02 PM »
Knights of the Nine isn't an expansion.  Pete Hines said it was the name of an in-game quest and that it was all a big mixup.

Anyway, I'm cool to see what they do with the PSP version.  It's going to be akin to the mobile ones they've done for cell phones.  Depending on how its done, I might be interested.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 01:41:20 PM »
Knights of the Nine isn't an expansion.  Pete Hines said it was the name of an in-game quest and that it was all a big mixup.
Yeah, but it'd be nice if it was included w/ an expansion they decide to do via retail stores, if they do -- or somethin'.

I just want those quests to come over to the PC.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 01:39:32 AM »
I must confess... I never did get it. The wound that Morrowind left still aches.

Seriously, I really just missed the boat, I really wanted it but it was just at a time with financial problems or another. I think it was during the time I was between jobs.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 01:41:54 AM »

Anyway, I'm cool to see what they do with the PSP version.  It's going to be akin to the mobile ones they've done for cell phones.  Depending on how its done, I might be interested.

For some reason Oblivion on a PSP suddenly makes the PSP very appealing to me. I don't know why, but playing a 200+ hour RPG on a handheld while relaxing just sounds fun.

The wound that Morrowind left still aches.

I bought Morrowind and couldn't get into it, but wanted to. Then I got the expansion just to have an excuse to get into Morrowind, and still couldn't. Then I got the second and still couldn't... I hated myself for wasting all that money.

Then came Oblivion. It is basically Morrowind minus - stuff that kept me from enjoying it + a nice shiny coat of paint.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 08:22:50 AM »
I highly doubt Oblivion for PSP is going to be 200+ hours.  This isn't a port, it's going to be a different game, probably a hell of a lot smaller.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 09:51:13 AM »
That's what I figured too.  If they make it a real game, they'd have to include a memory card, maybe 256 MB, for real saves.

The fact is that truly good games for the PSP have been very scarce.  (There are a few.)  I think one big problem is that the analog nub stinks on ice, so it's difficult to deliver on the promise of 3D, first- or third-person goodness.  Porting PS2 games produces mediocre results.  Porting a heavyweight PC game like Oblivion can't be a good thing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 30, 2006, 10:00:41 AM »
Bethesda has already done numerous TES mobile titles, mostly built for phones.  So this isn't entirely new territory.  They're TES-based, but obviously not in the same vein as the PC franchise entries.  I've heard they're fun, though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, October 01, 2006, 10:59:57 AM »
Bethesda has already done numerous TES mobile titles, mostly built for phones.  So this isn't entirely new territory.  They're TES-based, but obviously not in the same vein as the PC franchise entries.  I've heard they're fun, though.

Bethesda rules.

And Oblivion is one great PC RPG; one of the best, up there w/ BG2 and PS:T.

I really do hope they make an expansion pack....I could use more Oblivion.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 12:14:05 AM »
I have to say I am a little disappointed, but the game should be a lot of fun on a PSP. You could relax on your sofa and play that sucker for ages.

Or until it runs out of batteries and you have to go and recharge it!

But seriously, it should be fun.

Edit.  Ironically enough, right after I made this post, I sat down to play Lumines.  And the battery died.   :(

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
More info on the Knights of the Nine quests in Oblivion for PS3
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 10, 2006, 03:51:30 PM »
Click here for More details on the Knights of the 9 Quests that'll be in the PS3 version of Oblivion

[PS3] Huge adventure planned for Sony's next-gen console
Words: Ben Richardson

Monday 9 October 2006
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PlayStation 3 - recently revealed as a surprise launch title for Sony's next-gen console - will feature a huge, exclusive quest that revolves around new faction The Knights of the Nine.

The Cyrodiil-spanning adventure will offer an extra 10-20 hours of gameplay, with your reward being a collection of super-powerful items.
Sounds cool.

Your mission will be to retrieve a set of kits known as the Crusader's Relics, fulfilling the Knights of the Nine's primary goal. Think of it as an Oblivion-set search for the Holy Grail, only there's a collection of them and they give you +50 bonuses when bashing people's heads in. However, to undertake the task you'll first have to prove your dedication to the Knights by embarking on a pilgrimage across Cyrodiil.
Okay.

The Knights of the Nine order you to wander the 16-square-mile gameworld in search of shrines dedicated to the nine gods of Tamriel. Only when you've knelt at each of them will you be inducted into the order and sent out on the quest.

Additionally, being a clan of goody-goodies, the Knights will only allow you to continue your quest if you remain worthy - meaning no crimes, no murders and nothing else that could raise your infamy level.
Sounds cool.

Locate a Relic and it's yours to keep, so long as you walk the path of good. And, as you progress, locals who hear of your achievements will flock to the ramshackle ancestral home of the Knights to pledge their allegiance, slowly building a thriving community and restoring the Knights' home to its former glory.

With Oblivion already boasting a near-endless playability value, PS3's version could be the best outing yet in the gigantic world of Cyrodiil. Planned as a launch day release - or thereabouts - Oblivion will hit PS3 this November in the US and next March in the UK.
Cool.

So, will the X360 and PC versions hopefully get a downloadable mod or expansion dedicated to  these "Knights of the 9" quests? I sure hope so. I could use more Oblivion, on my PC and all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 11, 2006, 07:17:11 PM »
BethSoft's own Todd Howard is interviewed by IGN on the PS3 version of Oblivion:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/738/738319p1.html

IGN: How different will this version be from the others? If I've played this before, is there a reason to play it again on the PS3?

Todd Howard: Our goal is always to make the game look and feel consistent across all platforms. We design the game we want to make and then make that game available on as many platforms as possible. So, it's the same base game as was released on PC/ 360. The PS3 is benefiting from us continuing to develop our core technology that drives all our Elder Scrolls games. Some of that is noticeable on the screen -- like all the new graphic shaders -- and some isn't. The best examples are those new shaders we have for how "near detail" and "far detail" blend together on the landscape. You no longer have a harsh line cutting across the two levels, they blend together seamlessly and the distant detail and land looks much nicer.
Okay.

IGN: Will the Knights of the Nine quests eventually become available for X360 and PC players of Oblivion, or are they exclusively PS3's?

Howard: We always aim to have all our content available across all platforms, so that is our goal.
Sounds like a good plan to me.