Author Topic: Got a foot of snow  (Read 2179 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Got a foot of snow
« on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »
So we have a big storm, and it's being described as "blizzard conditions."  But yeah I had to work 1 - 10 last night and I left for work at 11 and was still 30 minutes late, mostly because business let people go around noon.  It was just like rush hour in a snowstorm.  It sucked.

When I left at 10 it was still snowing and the highways were covered so you couldn't see the lines, but traffic was very light so I made it home in about 1 hr 15 min.  I was supposed to work today at 10am, but the county I live in issued a level 3 snow emergency, meaning it's illegal to drive on the roads while it's in effect.  So I'm home now.  Just got in from spending 2 hours outside shoveling the driveway and digging my car out.  Also helped one of the neighbors clean off a few other neighbors' walkways and steps.

I'm supposed to report to work if the level 3 is lifted.  I'm not sure when that will happen, because supposedly we are going to get around four more inches of snow today.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Re: Got a foot of snow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »
Yeah. Ohio is covered right now. We got a little over a foot here in Columbus. My car is buried up to the wheel wells. It's crazy. It was pretty bad last night too. I went to the Blue Jackets game, and it took us 40 minutes to get there. I live 10 minutes away from the arena....
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 10:22:12 AM by ScaryTooth »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 09:57:44 AM »
They changed it to a level 2 snow emergency.  Now I'm supposed to go to work.  I think I'm going to feign ignorance for a little while.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 01:15:07 PM »
Yeah, screw that.  I wouldn't go in.

Anyway, I hate you guys.  It's hot here.  California sucks ass.  Not that I want to shovel snow or anything, but we got like 5 minutes of winter weather and now it's back to this shit again.  I hate it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 01:31:59 PM »
Well... I'm at work.  :(

In other news, I've confirmed that the Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 virtual terminal server I set up a few days ago is working fine (I'm posting from it right now).

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 01:38:29 PM »
Yes, Que...be envious...

Winter can suck my ass. Give me 80-90 degreed any day.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »
I love winter weather. If the university cancels classes (which only happens a few times a year) the ski slopes 5 minutes away are 50% off.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 02:50:20 PM »
Winter can suck my ass. Give me 80-90 degreed any day.
Hear, hear!

Snow seems fun to those that don't get it, but it's not.  It's cold, wet, turns to ice when packed or when melted and refroze.  Plus you have to shovel, clear off your car, scrape your car.  And your wipers get ice on them and freeze up and become ineffective.

Then when the road crews pound the snow and ice on the roads and leave salt behind, the salt melts the snow, turning into salt water.  Then the water on your windshield evaporates, leaving a nice coat of salt making it difficult to see through.  Of course, since it's freezing, your windshield washers are frozen and you can't see jack.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
I never said I wanted snow.  What I don't want is heat and to have a complete lack of winter.  You guys don't use the word "drought".  For us, it never leaves our lips.  We have such absurdly low rainfall that water shortages are always a worry.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 04:54:42 PM »
My mother has a guy plow it off.  It's the same guy that does other odd jobs for her, like the gutters.  But I still had to go out and sweep the snow off the furniture on the porch.  This is furniture better suited for indoors, with cloth cushions and all.  It's the first time ever that snow has blown around so much that it got on top of the furniture in a covered porch with walls on 3 sides.  It had about a quarter-inch coat all around.  Fortunately, it's quite cold, so it didn't get sopped, only moist.  This is not the biggest March snowstorm I remember.  About 20 years ago, we got over a foot in the middle of March.  It is very rare in Cinci, though.  Snow is hardly ever a big deal here.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 05:15:03 PM »
What I don't want is... to have a complete lack of winter.
Yes you do.  You just don't know it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
You forget that not everyone is afraid of the weather.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »
A snowfall every now and then is great.  Sure, there's a ton of reasons why snow and shitty weather pisses me off, but if I never saw snow again I'd probably be even more pissed.

EDIT: Also, like Ghandi said, winter activities like skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, and hitting people with snowballs are fucking fun.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
You forget that not everyone is afraid of the weather.

Afraid?  Fear would at least make it exciting.  It's the drudgery, the chore everything you take for granted outdoors becomes.  What used to be a walk in the park now reminds you of Dr Zhivago.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 06:38:47 PM »
You people are incredibly melodramatic.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, March 08, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »
Yeah, I agree. Sure there is tons of salt on the roads where I live and I have to scrape snow off my car fairly often, but winter weather is so pleasant. I love sitting on the porch and watching the snow fall. It's so peaceful.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, March 09, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »
I love tossing football outside in the hot sun.  Winter can kiss my ass.  There is nothing at all pleasant about it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, March 09, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »
I love snowy or damp weather as much as Que.