Author Topic: Cover games and recharging health  (Read 2542 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Cover games and recharging health
« on: Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 11:49:33 PM »
Cover games meaning games where hiding behind cover is a major gameplay element. The obvious one being Gears of War.

I like the way that game plays, even the recharging health. It kept the flow of the game focused on the action, not looking around trying to find a health pack. Some credit Halo with is recharging shields for this, and maybe thats where the idea got started. I felt it didn't work quite as well in Halo since cover didn't seem nearly as important. You only ever used cover to recharge your shield, which could take quite a pounding before going down. Compare that to Gears where in some section you step out of cover for more than 2 seconds you'll die.

Call of Duty 2 has health recharge, and at first I thought it was kind of dumb to have it in a "realistic" game. Turns out it works for the same reason it does for Gears: keeps that flow going. I really like the mechanic now, and am actually looking for a mod for CoD1/UO that does the same thing. Unfortunately I'm coming up empty. Damnit...

So yeah...random thinking at 2am.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Cover games and recharging health
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2007, 11:58:42 PM »
Yeah, I hear you.  On the one hand it strikes you as a cheap thing, trying to oversimplify a system that's been in place for years.  But when you get down to it, it does, as you say, keep the focus right on the action, but it also keeps everything intense.  In Gears, you're *always* about to die, so you can never get comfy and start fucking around and let your nice juicy full health bar take the brunt of your carelessness.  The latter aspect I really like, the former, not as much.  My big thing is I like to explore so I like getting the chance to hunt for hidden health items and that kind of thing, and Gears had a pretty conservative amount of that.  A little more secret stuff and I'd have been happy.

Anyway, yeah, I think I dig the mechanic as well.  I don't care as much for the way Halo does it with the recharging shield, and though a few games have done the same thing better, I still don't care for it in comparison to the way Gears just keeps you near death at all times and just recharges your small bit of health once you cover a few.  But I think that's because I tend to enjoy games where there's not *too* much room for error.  Do something stupid, pay for it.  I dig that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 12:02:10 AM »
Rainbow Six: Vegas is also like that.  What I really like about Vegas is that when you get hit, your entire vision goes blurry/dark, making you have to take cover, or shoot blindly and hope you hit something.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 12:16:31 AM »
You're right about the exploration thing, but maybe with a few gameplay/design decisions recharging health would make it even better.

So imagine we've got these levels and secrets to find. These secrets cant be health like they once were, but need to be something the gamer wants. Maybe treasure or special gadgets that can't be found just anywhere. Or ammo for a special gun that doesnt have ammo all over the friggin place. Anything will do, just has to be something the player will want to get.

Gears' problem was its linearity. There wasnt any side paths really, no reason to go looking for things. But what if there were. Imagine the following scenario:

You just finish a big fight, and you've got a choice to make. To your left is the very obvious way to continue on with the game, and to your right is a little narrow path that will lead you to some secret. Its marked with spraypaint and says "SECRET" with an arrow. Whatever. You can see/hear some nasty enemies down that way.  Now in your standard healthpack game, you're going to look at your health and make your decision. Probably going to continue on and pass it by. Don't want to die in some optional side area. The risk isnt worth it.

With a recharging health system, you don't have that problem. You know that no matter what you can go in there and take on whatever is in your way...as long as you play smart. You will take those side paths because health isn't an issue to stop you. Kind of like World of Warcraft, in a way. Your health recharges when not in combat...so as long as you can win your fights and rest up you can go anywhere you want.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 06:38:20 AM »
This is true.  Although I'm the kind of guy who would explore the side path even if I had one left hanging from my broken body by a flap of skin.  I always have to find *everything*.  But you're right, in general the principle would work well for that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 06:45:07 AM »
I'm the same way.  Games like Deus Ex sometimes frustrate me due to the multiple paths.  I always feel like I'm missing something that is found in the other path.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 08:36:16 AM »
Come on, who here wouldn't take the side path? :)

Also, Idol, this isn't the same but there is a bind to drop health in CoD:UO. Though, obviously, this is only useful in multiplayer.   I assume you are talking about SP. Most mods are designed for MP.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 08:40:41 AM »
Yeah, I want it for SP.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 08:45:23 AM »
There was a game for the PS2 that prominently featured cover. I forgot what it was called but the whole point of the game was to hit cover and time your fire. I tried the demo and it was okay but nothing spectacular. I can't remember what the game was called and its kind of bugging me now.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 11:35:53 AM »
Are you talking about PN.04?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
Are you talking about PN.04?

No. I remember this game was about a soldier and you used regular guns and stuff and it was set in the near-future.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 11:51:11 AM »
Found it!

This game was alot like Gears of War only it was poorly executed, had limited production values, no A.I squadmates, and alot less fun.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 11:55:18 AM »
So then it wasn't like GoW?

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 11:57:48 AM »
So then it wasn't like GoW?

Basically, if you took GoW and took out the great graphics, atmosphere, characters, story, and A.I. you would get Kill.switch.

It is kinda like if I were Gears of War and Pugnate were Kill.switch.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 12:00:58 PM »
If you think about it, applying a magical healthpack to a shot-up soldier, and having him instantly back in the fight, is not at all realistic either.  That's why I think I don't mind the cover recharge at all.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 12:03:49 PM »
Exactly. I'm playing one section of the game and I was more concerned about finding a magic life box than the tank that was shooting at me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 12:08:10 PM »
Basically, if you took GoW and took out the great graphics, atmosphere, characters, story, and A.I. you would get Kill.switch.

It is kinda like if I were Gears of War and Pugnate were Kill.switch.

hahaha nice one. :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »
Found it!

This game was alot like Gears of War only it was poorly executed, had limited production values, no A.I squadmates, and alot less fun.
I was thinking about that, but couldn't remember the name.  I was thinking ".Kill" and "Kill.zone" but I knew those weren't right.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2007, 01:36:57 PM »
The "recharging health", when done right, can work out well. Worked well for Advent Rising and Halo 1.