Author Topic: Okami Reviewed.  (Read 38101 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Okami Reviewed.
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 06:59:45 PM »
Holy fuck.  104 hours?  Please tell me at least 40% of that is pause-time.

Anyway, that really sucks.  I haven't noticed any skipping yet, but I'm not done with the game so I can't say about the videos and such.  Maybe they'll become available on the web at some point so you can watch them?

I want to play really badly, but I'm far too depressed.  Today just fucking sucked and all I want to do is get obscenely drunk.  Which I can't do because all I have left is a lonely bottle of Guinness.  Sigh.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 09:00:51 PM »
Me play more. Me like more.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 09:33:26 PM »
I figure it's more like 60% inactive time.  For example, I started a new game tonight and played for a while.  Then it was dinner time, so I saved and paused it.  Came back later, played a bit more, saved again.  The difference in time between the saves was an hour.  The time played was about 20 minutes.  It really sucks that time keeps running during pause.  That completely invalidates the time stat.

I was pissed when I made that post.  I still love the game, and I'm not letting some comparatively minor flaws spoil the whole thing.  I've read a few reports of stuttering and momentary freezing.  (I've had that too, and I can hear the DVD seeking in the console.)  The question then is what's the problem?  Is it individual PS2s going out of spec?  Is it a disc-mastering problem?  Or is it software that was not tested enough on real-world systems?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #83 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »
Well, I have an original PS2 and I've got zero problems.  Those slim ones seem to be a nightmare with just about everybody that has one.  Glad I never cracked and bought one.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 11:28:04 PM »
I have a slim PS2. It's ran great so far. There was only one instance where the game slowed a little. Near the sunken ship. I was on the boat looking toward land, and I was drawing lilly pads. It seemed to make it strain a little.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 06:14:29 AM »
Yeah, if you go to the corners of big maps and look back toward the middle, there are some places where you will get slowdown.  Late in the game, there's one where it's rather severe.  But that's not what I was talking about.

I think I may have found the culprit.  I picked up the PS2, and it was *hot*, particularly on the bottom.  Even though it's hard-flat surface on hard-flat surface, there are no legs to speak of on this thing.  So there's very little air space underneath.  What I did was to drape the power and video cables over the external drive that sits flat next to it (and no, that's not the source of the heat--it's forced-air cooled, front to back, nice and cool all over).  That lifts the back of the PS2 up about 2 inches.  It looks precarious, slanted forward like that, but it's stable, and now has a big wedge of air under it.  I shut it off and tried the videos again later.  They worked fine, but I also pulled out the DVD, wiped it, blew on the lens, etc.  (Not a very well-controlled experiment, was it?)  My bet is on the heat, second place is on random misbehavior.  We'll see.

The "start from the beginning" option after finishing the game is quite nice.  It lets you skip absolutely all tutorial and story elements, including filling in constellations.  You also restart with most of whatever you had at the end of the first game.  I wish that didn't include the weapons, because it's a breeze dispatching early baddies with powerful late-game equipment.  Only the final column of weapons is missing, I guess because those are special.  Some of the special items you equip are there too, and again it makes sense why some are missing.  It all seems carefully designed to let you retrace the game with a minimum of fuss.  That suits me just fine.

I'm happy to have all the game music off the menu now.  It's organized by locale in the game, sort of like a chapter menu on a DVD with pictures.  And I got to listen to the end song without stutters.  Yay.  I haven't gone through much of the artwork yet.  I think it's the same as what you get in-game during some cutscenes and character intros.

The game itself is extremely good throughout, although toward the end it did start to feel like a chore--not just because of hard bosses, but also because you can't take 5 steps without running into another puzzle which blocks all progress until solved.  I suppose linearity in the final stretch would be hard to avoid in game design.  But the rewards continue to be there throughout.  I think Okami is required for anyone with a PS2 who still cares about games.  I only wish it had come at a better time in my life, so I could enjoy it more fully.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #86 on: Friday, September 29, 2006, 11:07:55 AM »
Yeah, my slimmer PS2's been pretty good so far too. It ran GTA:SA pretty well too, much better than even my launch model PS2 did with GTA:III in terms of streaming in info at the time. I assume part of that is code cleanup, but I replaced the system because it was streaming so poorly for San Andreas.

Anywho, I haven't had enough time to really enjoy the game as much as I should. I'm like three or four hours in, tops.

Offline gpw12

• Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 04:28:30 PM »
Well, damn.  I just hooked my ps2 up again (in my room so I can play it whenever).  So obviously I have to get this game.  I don't know if I'll buy it just yet (too many other things that demand money right now), but I'll definitly try it out.  Thanks for the reccomendations.

Oh, by the way, can anyone reccomend anyother good ps2 action or rpg games besides God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and FFX?  Pererably ones that are a bit older?  I plan on tracking down xenosaga since I liked xenogears so much, but I never really followed ps2 releases that much.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #88 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 05:38:49 PM »
Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3 are well worth your time, though avoid the 2nd.  Gungrave: OverDose is cool, but don't pick up the first game (the one minus the subtitle).  That one is really cheap, too.  Shinobi if you're into super-tough ninja action.  Zone of the Enders if you like giant robots... though particularly the 2nd game (first was just kinda' okay).  I don't know if they ever did Soul Reaver for PS2, but I know they did SR2.  Though you played those on PC, right?

That's all I can think of at the moment.  Oh, and ICO if you don't have that yet.  You mentioned Shadow of the Colossus but not ICO, so it had to be mentioned.

Honestly, I really didn't play that many great RPGs on PS2.  Shadow Hearts was actually pretty damned good for an FF-style RPG, and it has a sequel that I never played, but I can't think of much else.

Offline gpw12

• Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Monday, October 02, 2006, 11:17:17 PM »
Well, that's a bitch.  I ended up going to a store and couldn't really find much of anything, so I rented Xenosaga Ep 1.  Then the damn disk kept skipping/wouldn't load.  Great.  Originally I thought it was the ps2, but after switching it with my roomates, it must be the disk.  It's in good condition save for a little chip it has on the outer ring, which I guess kills it.  Then in my excitement I bought Xenosage Ep 1 & 2 from ebay for $35 combined with shipping.  Not a bad deal, but it doesn't solve my problem (of wanting to play ps2 games in bed).  Okami  was out and I don't really want to buy it at full price because I'm cheap.  I'll also try to track down Ico and maybe play SoC again, but I'm still a bit pissed off about this disk. 

IT's weird, it would load the starting cinema on one machine and freeze halfway through, while on the other I got nothing at all after the ps2 logo.  You'd think if it could start with the ring damaged it'd be fine, but I guess not.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 07:15:04 AM »
Cheap reader, cheap media.  Yuck . . .  You know, I would probably pay for a quality PS2-spec system (if I had any money to blow, that is).  I'd love to see something with a 4X load speed, and rock-stable.

You're not going to play through Okami in a rental period.  Even if you take off of work for the 5 days or whtever it is, and just play the game, you'd be hard-pressed to finish it without cheating.  This one's definitely worth the $40.  On the replay here, knowing what to do, and already having many items carried over from the first game, it's still taken me over 20 hours to get about 2/3rd of the way into the game.  (Saves say 30.)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 11:25:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm tempted to but it's not really my ps2.  It's my friend's and although I've had it for about a year and he keeps telling me he doesn't really want it back anytime soon I can't help but think that the day after I buy it he'll want it again. I guess there are like two more in this house, but neither in places I'd want to sit and play for a while.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »
I hope to finish off the game tonight. I think I'm getting close.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 06:05:07 PM »
I still haven't played it for several days.  The bad mood is finally starting to wear off, so I'll probably get back to it at some point relatively soon.  Though since Pyro will be here, that's like 5 nights of no Okami.  And I still need to pick up another 360 controller so we can play some DoA4.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 08:12:35 PM »
I'm starting to think about going out to rent it again tonight.  It just looks so awesome and since I now have Xenosaga 1 & 2 en route to me I can't really justify buying it.  Maybe a fun distraction for a week and then purchase later.  Damn, I hate how life is a never ending stream of constant wants.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 10:03:51 PM »
Just buy it.  Suck it up, be a man.  Go without cigarettes or booze for a week or something.  Xenosaga is just another turn-based RPG series [Ed note -- Tet, what are you doing to my genitals with that hacksaw?], but Okami is really something special.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 10:13:25 PM »
Just buy it.  Suck it up, be a man.  Go without cigarettes or booze for a week or something.  Xenosaga is just another turn-based RPG series [Ed note -- Tet, what are you doing to my genitals with that hacksaw?], but Okami is really something special.

Haha nice Que, anyways I plan on picking up this game soon as well, I was thinking about renting it but have been hearing that its hard to beat in one rental, so I'm just gonna suck up and buy it in the next couple of weeks hopefully.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 10:27:03 PM »
I'd say that's wise.  Aside from just long, it's the kind of game that's really nice to relax with.  I think you'll have more fun if you don't rush through it, you know?  But doing so means that the game will run even longer, and most of the hour readings I've seen from fans on other boards are in the 50-60 hour range.  If you rush, you'll probably get 30.  If you play like a normal person, probably 40-50.  If you really love it and want to try to find every last thing, I'd say 50-60.  Rough estimates, but that's what I've gathered from others.  My total time may end up being more than that, though.  I seem to be going slower than some others, as I'm trying to get a lot of the stuff and I'm not actually using any kind of guide to do it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, October 03, 2006, 10:52:18 PM »
I'm not using a guide or anything, I just play a lot. At about 20 hours so far. I skipped a lot of the previous side quests and stuff, so I'm going to go and do some of them now. Also just run around and find clovers and burried treasure and stuff.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, October 04, 2006, 11:07:59 AM »
That's why I ended up with 104 hours tallied, although there's a lot of pause time there.  (The second game, I'm trying not to leave it running so much when I walk away.  I may have even left it on overnight before.)  You can spend hours at a sitting just chasing stuff that isn't strictly required, and it's not a chore either.  It's engrossing.  Yet there's still stuff I haven't found at all (like there's one kind of big rock I still can't break, after one time through and most of a second time).  If you rent it and rush through, you're going miss out on plenty of good stuff.  Even so, I'd like to see someone beat this in a rental period without a guide on their lap.  That would be an achievement, although hard to verify that they didn't study walkthroughs ahead of time.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #100 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 12:04:46 AM »
I hate this damn wall bastard. You know the ones where you need to dot their weak points? I met one on Oni Island and just cant kill the bastard.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 01:03:03 AM »
There's one I gave up on. It was way harder than the others, and not essential. Oni might have been it.

Edit: Anyone figure out the secret of the loading screens yet?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #102 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 06:51:50 AM »
Looks a lot like The Wind Waker, except much more awesome.  Must buy.

Problem is that I still don't have a PS2.  I still have Shadow of the Colossus and God of War queued up for when I get around to getting my PS2 repaired or buying a new one.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #103 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 10:07:15 AM »
Yeah Cobra, you can earn demon fangs from the loading screens. For the paw print progression across the bottom screen, if you tap X along with the progression to turn them all into large paws, you get a fang. If you're good you can get a couple fangs in a row...though its really hard. The other loading screen where you hit X and a paw print is placed randomly, just pound X as fast as you can. The 50th print will be a fang. You can only get one fang on this loading screen.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 11:53:32 AM »
I didn't know all those details.  I've only managed to get a fang once on the screen with the pawprints across the bottom.  My timing must be off.  The other one's easy, if the loading goes on long enough.

The stone guy I can't beat is underground, out in the Kamui area.  Tried again today, and there's no way.  I can't retain the whole sequence.  I wonder what I'm missing out on.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 12:00:50 PM »
Mine is after I got the lightning ability. Hes kind of outside on some massive "stairs".

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 01:31:32 PM »
Yeah, that one you have to beat.  Good luck with it.  I'm getting near the end again.  Once I complete it the 2nd time, that will be it for me for a while.  I haven't put this much time into a game since, well, Oblivion.  Console games much longer than that.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #107 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 02:04:50 PM »
I even got a marker and marked my screen when the things showed up and I still couldnt get it. Gah...I hope I can beat him. This is the kind of thing that can ruin a great game, too.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 02:12:04 PM »
I'm not a fan of that guy at all either.  Yeah, if you just can't follow the bouncing dot, your world comes to a screeching halt.  Not a good thing.  But I did get through it, and I'm faar from the best gamer on the planet, so, I have confidence in you.   :)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: Friday, October 06, 2006, 11:55:08 PM »
Well, I went in the store to buy it today and ended up walking out with Shadow of the Colossus instead. I don't know how it happend, but fuck I love that game.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #110 on: Saturday, October 07, 2006, 12:20:59 AM »
Smart buy my friend. Probably just as amazing as Okami, probably more beautiful than stylistically awesome as Okami is but its just an incredible experience.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: Saturday, October 07, 2006, 12:55:07 AM »
Yeah, I actually played and finished it when it first came out, but it's one of those games I'd love to just have in order to play all the time.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: Thursday, October 12, 2006, 05:09:50 AM »
Finished it a 2nd time, and got a few extra goodies.  That realistic-rendering video (which we saw on the side-by-side comparison with watercolor) is in here.  It's an internal company presentation.  But they must have worked on that approach for at least a while.  See here.

That's fully playable for me now, and looks good too.  But I still can't break those quartz-looking big rocks.  I wouldn't be surprised if the technique is behind that one Blockhead underground in Kamui.  Never could beat him.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: Friday, October 13, 2006, 11:17:47 PM »
...bought it.  I have very high expectations now.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: Saturday, October 14, 2006, 10:26:17 AM »
AWESOME!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 10:44:50 AM »
I was wasting my life before I bought this.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #116 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 10:47:57 AM »
A PS2 game has given your life meaning.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #117 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »
I still havent passed that damn wall guy.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »
A PS2 game has given your life meaning.

Look man, if it came down to it and both you and Okami were hanging off a cliff, I'd fucking save Okami over you.  Even if I could still save both, I'd probably just let you drop.  It's that damn good.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 03:37:37 PM »
I still havent passed that damn wall guy.

The best suggestion I've heard is to record it on a VCR, play it back frame by frame, mark the spots with numbers (because it has to be done in order) using eraseable marker, then hit them dots in the game.

The only one I can't do is the 8-spot guy underground in Kamui.  Are you sure you're following the dots in order?