Author Topic: And a Merry Xmas to you  (Read 5390 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
And a Merry Xmas to you
« on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 05:42:38 PM »
Well, I'd like to wish everyone a merry christmas a bit early.  I'm going to my parent's house tonight and probably will be staying there for a few days.    Should be good.  On the 24th of every year I head over to a friend from highschool's house and about 30 or so of us get really bombed.  It's a lot of fun, especially in recent years since we don't see each other as often.  Probably my favorite part of Christmas. 

Apart from that, I think I just realized that I'm becoming one of those people that really doesn't like Christmas that much.  Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it and but I get pretty bad SAD and it usually peaks right around Christmas.  It gets worse every year, and I start envisioning problems where there are none more and more.  By the time Christmas actually hits I'm pretty much exhausted from anxiety and insomnia, but the last two years I found Christmas day to be the day that I just kind of chill and recharge.  Usually I'll get in my car and bomb somewhere secluded and just look at stuff or take pictures.  After that it's all kind of uphill.  I should really start sucking it up and going to a tanning booth or buy a lightbox or something. 

Um, a bit sidetracked there.  Anyways, I hope you guys all have a good Christmas and I'll try to log on tomorrow at some point to see how you're all doing. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: And a Merry Xmas to you
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 06:09:52 PM »
Merry Christmas everyone!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »
Merry Christmas!

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 06:26:36 PM »
I opened my gifts and I got cologne that smells like ass and boxers with little doggies on them.

>:( fuck christmas!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 06:44:46 PM »
Dude, boxers like that are the shit.  That way, the girl thinks you're innocent and harmless, so she lets her guard down a bit....and that's when do the bad things.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 07:11:06 PM »
Oh, and a gift:

Wait....I have a wicked idea:  Caption contest!  Yesssss!

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 07:44:46 PM »
Merry Christmas, Everyone! Going to my Mom's in the morning for breakfast and to open gifts. Then we head to Megan's house and do the same. Supposed to be a nice day tomorrow too.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 07:45:25 PM »
Caption: WTF?

How does the whole Christmas tradition play out for you guys? For our family, we opened gifts tonight and tomorrow morning we get the "santa bags" with little goodies plus the big meal.

So I got my gifts! woo! My dad gave me a camera cleaning kit and a 1GB USB drive, my bro gave me a $25 gift card to Gamestop/EB, and my mom gave me some board games and a chinese tea set.

I bought my brother a steering wheel/pedals combo that plugs into the PS2, Xbox, and GC. Ok...I'm telling him I bought it for him, but really I wanted it. He can't bitch, I also got him HL2 for the Xbox.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 09:06:01 PM »
Merry Xmas everyone.  ;D

We had a Christmas eve dinner tonight with great food and champagne and wine, and generally we open gifts from each other (not Santa) tonight and open the traditional ones tomorrow. We are all kind of tired from drinking a lot, though, so we are doing everything tomorrow. Then it's off to the grandparents house for more fun.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 10:29:17 PM »
Merry X-Mas, all y'all!!!!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »
Merry Christmas, all!

We had a really good time this year.  Went to my aunt's huge mansion house tonight (she's the only one of us that married anybody with money, and her husband is a pretty cool dude to boot) and we ate so much freaking prime rib you can't even imagine.  We had two of the things, like... so much meat.  Everybody (17 people I think) could have had thirds, it was insane.  There was all kinds of other good food too, and there weren't 8 billion tiny kids running around so we all got to drink and chat and it was just wonderful.  Haven't had a Christmas with mom's side of the family this good in years.  Got to talk to nearly everyone and really catch up with some of my aunts that I don't get to talk to as much.

Tomorrow we'll be heading to Julia's folks and we'll spend most of the day with them.  I'm excited because I got Julia Nintendogs and the 4-disc special edition of Narnia.  She's going to be happy.  I get nothing because I always spend too much damned money and we all know it.

EDIT - This is the only thing I really want for Christmas.  And I'm probably going to buy it myself because I can't live without it... and both volumes, first editions, for $127?  That's crazy.  I suspect the condition is probably more terrible than they're letting on for that price, but I can't deal with not owning those books.  I've never wanted a first edition of anything, but those... God I want them.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 11:20:44 PM »
All my life we've had a set Christmas schedule of going to my father's parent's on Christmas Eve, our close Family on Christmas morning, my some of my mother's family Christmas afternoon (until my Grandmother died about five years ago, after that it was just close family all Christmas day), and then most of my Mother's side the first weekend after Christmas because there are like 50 something of us and it was the easiest way to get us together. This year, it's different.

Yesterday we had the family party for my Mom's side because it was decided it would be better this year to do it before Christmas. It seems generally agreed upon that it was a good idea to make the change. Often people are burnt out by the time that party would roll around in pervious years so people wouldn't come or just be really tired. Plus, it would sometimes line up too close to New Years so even more people wouldn't come. This year people were in better spirits and more of the family showed up.

Some family politics came to a head this year on my Dad's side and we didn't attend the family get-together on Christmas Eve. Ignoring the fact that my family wasn't there, the party itself will be difference since it won't be at my Grandmother's place and will have a much different feel than before since different people are throwing it and it's seemed to serve a different purpose over the last four or five years (more focus on different families than before). So, it's a loss, but I think I kinda like the outcome. Instead, we just spent the night at home and had a steak dinner with just the immediate family. It was quiet and nice, something I like. Since all this crap started the past years at that party have been ackward and it's always gone on too late. It was nice to just be home and comfortable the whole time. My parent's and I visited my Grandmother on Friday, so we still got to see her.

Tomorrow will just be with the immediate family all day. The plan is to open presents in the morning and make that lobster dinner I made the thread about sometime in the evenning.

So yeah, for the most part this Christmas is more low key and that suits me just fine. I'm generally not the biggest fan of large family parties to begin with and this way I can focus on being down here for the reason I actually came down: my parents, brother, sister-in-law, and nephew. I'd like Aimee to be in the picture, but we have never spent a Christmas together since she always spends it with her family. Fair enough I suppose since I (sorta) get her the rest of the year.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 11:49:32 PM »
There is a holiday here as well for Christmas weee. Though there is only one day off. Oh and it never snows.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 07:29:04 AM »
Merry Christmas!

well, I spent the day cooking.  the last three years I've spent breaking the christmas traditions.  This year, we just didn't go to the family thing.

I'm kinda sad a little cause it seems i've gotten so wrapped up in what i'm doing that i've kinda grown apart from my family, even my immediate family.

I don't reallly know what to do about it at this point..

Oh well, it was a fun day, I spent it with my family.. i wasn't home last year so..
Taken.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 07:40:01 AM »
You've gotten so wrapped up in cooking??? 

:P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 02:30:55 PM »
Merry Christmas, all!  We did what we normally do, go to a cousin's of my ex.  He's a great guy, and we always end up talking about techie stuff (computers mostly).  His son managed to get a Wii recently, and I spent a bit of time on tennis & bowling with my daughters.  It's fun, and very direct, but I'm still skeptical of the accuracy of this thing.  I bowled a 163 first try.  Not bad.  Had some trouble getting used to how much spin goes into the ball when you hook the shot.  Eventually I started picking up spare after spare, and my last shot was a strike.

Lots of food, a wee bit to drink (jack & coke), and not nearly enough sleep last night.  Girls got up at 6 AM, ready for the unbridled avarice (see A Christmas Story, on 12 times in a row on TBS today) of present opening.  Among other things, I got my older girl Zelda: Twilight Princess for her GC.  She was stunned by that, not knowing it was even out for the GC yet.  (Score!) 

I have no loot of any kind yet.  That's what I was expecting.  No big deal.  I remember a time when I would have been crushed.  Life does continue to toughen you, even after you think you're already a tough hombre at the ripe old age of . . . whatever the median is for all you kids.   ;)  It's better this way.  I don't feel guilty that I got no presents for anyone other than my precious children.

I hope everyone had a great holiday today.  I'll stop by again later.  Right now, I gotta go.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 07:40:53 PM »
Merry Christmas all!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 08:11:18 PM »
I'm with you, Cobra.  I got more or less jack squat.  A few remembrances from people, but not much of note.  That's okay by me.  I bought myself a copy of Mr. Robot as consolation, so I'll be playing that until I have to... ugh... go back to fucking work tomorrow.  I may murder someone in cold blood as consolation for that, too.  Time will tell.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you all.  Hope your time off and time with family or friends or whoever was good stuff.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 11:14:23 PM »
I have absolutely nothing to complain about since my parents were very good to me. You can ignore the rest of the post if you're someone other than Que, Pyro, or Beo and don't want to hear anything more about Warhammer.

Now I need to decide on a color scheme and a Craftworld (Eldar faction) to go with. I know I want to stick close to an existing group with these guys and I want a bright color scheme because those both seem a little atypical of my usual choices and I think it can be really fun to make something that completely fits into the universe. At first I was thinking Iyandeen since it would tie them to my love of Tyranids, but I don't like having yellow as the main color and using an army of Wraithlords seems a bit cheesy (Wraith units are supposedly ridiculously tough). I think I want an army that can be pretty well rounded, but I know I don't want Biel Tan. Right now Alaitoc is looking really good since the color scheme is pretty cool and I like their background. Having more scouts than other races doesn't mean I can't still have a proper army behind them, so I can get a balanced force that isn't heavily dominated by other expensive units.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 11:15:26 PM »
Christmas went down pretty well here, my mom got me some clothes that I needed(she actually buys nice clothes and not the kind you hide in a closet) and some money, then we ate some awesome dinner here with some other family members.  My mom, brothers, sister, and stepdad all liked their gifts that I got them.  I have off tomorrow so I'll probably be playing FFXII like I have been tonight, I might even beat it.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

EDIT: Damn your parents actually knew what box set to get you or did you have to hint at it?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 11:23:58 PM »
They needed direct assistance... like me going out and picking it up beforehand so they could wrap it. They were at a total loss as to what to get me, so they suggested it when I got here the other day.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 12:11:52 AM »
My mom got me an orange juicer (as in an old one you use manually), and some sodium-free cooking seasoning.  If my dad were alive, he'd have gotten me a good jazz CD like he did every year.  Being dead, he didn't.  Julia got me a carrot cake.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 12:18:17 AM »
Man, I couldnt believe how well my christmas turned out. All I asked for were some pants. I got the pants, but then from out of nowhere I got this whopper of a present:

Shes a beaut, 19" widescreen.

Anyway, it was just the family for us. We usually go over my uncles but I had to work today, which sucked hard, first christmas I ever had to work. But the gifts made up for it. All of us spoiled ourselves, especially my mom, she got so much stuff because all of us spent the most on her. I ended up getting FFXII CE, FFIII (DS), and Oblivion. Oh giddy with glee.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 12:33:22 AM »
I need to stop being naughty every damn year, apparently.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 06:39:41 AM »
i got a box of chocolates, some winter indoor shoes, hairties, a note book, an organizer and lotsa fun and love hahah

Taken.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 10:02:54 AM »
I got a very nice North Face coat (with detachable fleece) and a coffee maker. Didn't ask for a coat, but I desperately needed one, so I'm very happy.

Offline ender

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 11:08:43 AM »
I celebrated this weekend by going out for dirnks with friends. I downed mojitos, LITs, various pints of beer and spent way too much money on alcohol. The good news is, I haven't been drunk in 5 weeks so I'm proud of myself. I am learning moderation! Or I just can't feel alcohol anymore.

I got a mountain bike, a camel back pack, some CDs, PIXIES LIVE AT NEWPORT DVD, some clothes and some other stuff. I also bought myself a Wii haha.

This year it was just me, my brother, dad and mom. We had a bunch of food and laid around all day watching TV and movies. It was nice, because we all work and go places all the time so it was nice to have a day to rest.

Oh yeah, my bro got GEARS OF WAR... I am playing it, it's fucking great. He already beat it... of course he stayed up until like 5 AM every night since he got it.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 07:34:02 PM »
I didn't have the energy to post much last night, I was completely beat.  Christmas itself is starting to loose it's charm for me, it used to be one of my favorite holidays, but not so much anymore.  I guess I'm just getting older.

Anyway, I got a handgun safety class (which I have already completed, but I knew it was a christmas present at the time), some books and one of my favorite things in the world... a crap ton of cash.  I haven't decided what to do with the money yet.  I'm torn between a bunch of stuff.  I've been eyeing a new LCD TV and an XBox 360 for quite a while, but I'm hesitant to buy the TV since I'm hopefully going to be moving across the country within a few months and I don't really to lug it around with me, and the xbox would be completely wasted on my current 21" CRT TV.  I also want a new digital camera, and am thinking about purchasing a handgun (Leaning toward This One, and I could really use a new computer and monitor....

I guess I'll just hang on to the money for now until I can decide what is most important.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 08:07:39 PM »
Did I mention I hate you all?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 10:12:13 PM »
Ant, why the need for the handgun, if you don't mind me asking? I'm probably going to pick one up eventually, just for personal use and whatnot.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 10:17:13 PM »
Ant's gonna' be a cop, right?  I have a handgun as well but as of yet haven't gone to the firing range.  I don't have anybody to go with since I was going to go with my friend who's a cop, but it sort of never panned out and now we never talk.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 06:10:57 PM »
Yeah, basically the cop thing. I also don't live around anyone that would make it dangerous for me to have one around so I figure why not?