Author Topic: End of an era...  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
End of an era...
« on: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »
Jeff Green is leaving GFW/CGW/Whatever...

Do read his final blog:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8865013&publicUserId=5380367

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: End of an era...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 05:10:24 PM »
...To work with The Sims Group....hmmmm..
Best wishes to Jeff, being in the game development process and all.
Maybe him and Kasavin can have some conversations about going from game journalist to game developer.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 11, 2008, 06:27:13 PM »
Not altogether unexpected.  After the mag shut down you could kinda sense that he really wasn't in it any more

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 12, 2008, 07:30:38 AM »
I was gonna post this but I didnt think anyone cared cause I dont think anybody listened to GFW radio or frequented 1up. But yea, it sucks, GFW radio was my favorite podcast over at 1up. He's also going to hop on over at the gamers with jobs podcast so thats cool. He always brought a really cool perspective to gaming since he's been around so long, and I really wish there was more like that around.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 12, 2008, 07:51:21 AM »
Am not a big 1Up fan, but never missed a GFW radio podcast. I love Green's comments about the abysmal state of games journalism in his good bye thread.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 12, 2008, 05:20:52 PM »
I have no idea who he is.  I don't really like 1up, don't like their podcast, and don't like the GFW podcast.  Not sure what it is but those guys all kind of bug me.  They can be kind of funny sometimes, but more often they just seem like a pack of mean teenagers; disrespectful, crude, and eye-rollingly obvious about everything even though they obviously think they know a lot.  So the fact that this guy may show up in the Gamers With Jobs podcast scares me, because that's one of the very, very few gaming podcasts I actually like, and while I don't know this guy from Adam, I'm obviously not a fan of whatever it was he was doing previously.  Hopefully that was simply a case of the other people around him being idiots and making him seem like an idiot just by proxy.  You guys seem to like him, so I'll go in assuming the latter.  Then again, you guys also like the GFW podcast, so maybe I'm being too optimistic.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 12, 2008, 11:03:20 PM »
No no ... he was kinda forced into a marriage with the idiots at 1Up.

He was the EiC for Computer Gaming World, the mag that later got turned into Games for Windows. They got integrated into 1Up a few years ago, but the GFW/CGW crew never fit in with the misfits of 1Up.

So the fact that this guy may show up in the Gamers With Jobs podcast scares me, because that's one of the very, very few gaming podcasts I actually like, and while I don't know this guy from Adam, I'm obviously not a fan of whatever it was he was doing previously.

He's actually been on the GWJ podcast several times already. You should skim through the blog when you get the chance.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 12:43:30 AM »
I used to listen to GFW Radio when they had more interesting discussions on games. Then it just turned into Shawns Tips for Griefing and Funny Voices and other assorted wacky tales. It just got old.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 11:41:16 AM »
Yea I agree with that. But then Shawn stopped with the goofy stuff and I asked him about it. He told me it was because a lot of people had started to find it distracting, which is why he stopped doing it six months ago.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 11:57:56 PM »
GFW is done with. Shawn is moving on.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 01:40:59 AM »
Heh, he stops doing the antics and I think about listening again and then he leaves. Nice.