Author Topic: Firefox 2.0 is out  (Read 13262 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Firefox 2.0 is out
« on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 12:16:39 PM »
Direct download

Its not on the site yet, since they plan on releasing officially tomorrow. The files are already up, so get it before the rush.

Most of my extensions still work, and the couple that didn't I was able to edit and now they work just fine. The built-in spell checker is pretty snazzy.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Firefox 2.0 is out
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
Grrr... I just got FF 1.5 installed at work and it wasn't easy.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 01:22:53 PM »
Got it, but I'm not installing it yet.  Any word on how hoggish or buggy this may be?  I've been living with "the devil I know", v 1.0.7, for quite a while.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 01:25:29 PM »
Yea I'll download it right now but I won't install it yet until I'm sure it's a good release.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 04:44:44 PM »
Ooh it's sexy. So far so good. I kept the v1.5.0.7 setup file just in case, but I'm likin' 2.0!

Extensions are now called "Add-ons" by the way!

Offline joeactually

• Rookie
  • Life sucks. That's your lesson. Go enjoy it.
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »
Grrr... I just got FF 1.5 installed at work and it wasn't easy.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!  I'm telling!
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 05:24:49 PM »
I just started using it.  I have found a few little conveniences(such as the ability to remove search engines from the toolbar without having to download the extension) and the spellcheck is REALLY nice.  But other than that, it is mainly stylistic things that are visible to the everyday user.

I think it is perfect!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 07:08:45 PM »
Sweet!  I'm definitely gonna' try it once I get done with some 40K stuff.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 23, 2006, 08:29:02 PM »
Yeah, it's nice. A good amount of misspelled words here in the window are underlined just like in Word. Pretty neat feature.   

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:16:22 AM »
Looks like the makers of Firefox ain't happy about it being downloaded early, b/c it's available before their official launch.

Makes me wonder why they put it up early, if they want to launch it tonight!!!  :o

Linky:
http://digg.com/software/Firefox_2_is_NOT_released

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 07:26:42 AM »
As usual, the random commentary people post cancels out to zero meaning.  I was going to wait before installing anyway, so I can wait until the dust settles.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 09:35:24 AM »
There was some interesting info about problems people have been having with bookmarks though (I think it was even mentioned on here somewhere - edit: yep):

This is an issue we're seeing unfortunately too often. Most of the time it is being caused by a pc restart or crash. If you're seeing this without restarting your pc PLEASE REPORT IT to bugzilla.mozilla.org and use a summary similar to "bookmarks missing after update, without restarting." As far as we know this doesn't occur without a restart, so if it is happening we'll want to know ASAP.

What happens is the os is terminating firefox before it is done writing to some files. These files then become corrupt and all the data is gone. Most of the files that can be affected don't hold crucial data, but this is why 1.5 had bookmark backups implemented. The corrupted file needs to be deleted and Firefox will replace it with a new one.

If your search plugins are missing and you can't add new bookmarks, or your toolbar customizations keep resetting on start, your localstore.rdf is corrupt: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf this article explains how to reset it.

To restore your bookmarks, read this article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks . If you restore with a backup but the bookmarks are still missing, try restoring from an earlier backup as firefox has backed up since the corruption.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 03:01:25 PM »
There was some interesting info about problems people have been having with bookmarks though (I think it was even mentioned on here somewhere - edit: yep):

Yeah, it's a case where someone should be tarred and feathered for coding stupidity.  At no time should persistent data in a program be at risk of disappearing should file I/O get interrupted.  It should always be in a safe state.  One way to do this is to write all updates to a new file, then delete the old file and rename the new, after all writes are done.  Any interruptions can be recovered from later, by the same software, because it will know, given the files left behind and their names, at what point the interruption occurred.  Any half-written or corrupt files can be thrown out, and the failsafe can be brought back.  Al that would be lost is changes in the most recent session.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 03:08:36 PM »
FF2.0 is officially out now.

Firefox 2
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 05:42:18 PM by scottws »

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 04:26:38 PM »
I backed my bookmarks up.

This thing is dope. I love how it underlines mispelled words! See it underlined misspelled for me. Very cool.

Interface is looking good too. 

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »
I'm digging it so far, looks a little bit more slick and the spell check thing is pretty cool.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 08:37:40 PM »
Snazzy!!!  Spell check rocks!

I like the old Home icon a lot more though.  And the new Ad-Block Plus icon draws too much attention to itself.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 09:12:42 PM »
In general I actually like the old icons a lot more :P The colours were much more vibrant.

What?? It thinks "colour" with "ou" is misspelled! The Bastards!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 09:15:32 PM »
I guess it only does American libraries at this point.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 12:01:19 AM »
Didnt feel like making a new topic.

I have a couple news feeds I like to check. Or, would have liked to check. I could never find a feed reader that behaved how I wanted.

For example, I like checking the Makezine and Craftzine blogs. They have cool things to do and make, so I like reading the pages. The problem for me is the pages have quite a few images that take ages to load. Pain in the ass. So I looked at feed readers.

I kind of ruled out stand alone readers, they all look like email apps. Plus I'm going to open the links in the browser anyway, it'd be nice if it was all done in the browser itself.

So I looked at the firefox extensions. Everyone raves about Sage, so I gave it a whirl. Didn't care for it. One of the major problems is...it loaded all the images from the feeds! Thats what I wanted to get away from! Gah. Otherwise it was pretty nice. I tried a few others and gave up on them for similar reasons.

Oh yeah, I also tried Google Reader. It would have been a great solution...except the image loading thing. I wanted all the news to start collapsed, all you see is the title and maybe a small section of the main text. Then when I expand it, it could open the full text and load any images. It didnt do that...it loaded everything including images no matter what, and I couldn't find an option to change it.

Then I tried the Live Bookmarks feature built in to FF. Its pretty much the best thing I've tried. It just loads the headline, I can click em and it takes me to the individual stories page, so I'm only loading images for that story. I got an addon called LiveClick, and it allows you to easily go to the feeds main site, marks stories as read/unread, etc. Nice little addition.

...hooray firefox and live bookmarks!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 03:30:53 AM »
I guess it only does American libraries at this point.
I check the Language options, and I removed the 'English (US)' and added 'English (UK)' but it still thinks "colour" is a spelling error. Bah! They'll fix it soon!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 04:34:33 AM »
I'd bug it, just to make sure.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 06:31:02 AM »
I just BugZilla'd it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 07:00:28 AM »
Noticed another bug.  Open two tabs.  Make the second tab the active one.  Now move your mouse back and forth between (just hover, don't click) the reload button and the first tab.

For me, I see the buttons from the toolbar appear in the tab.

Edit:  Wow... it's not just the buttons.  Seems like practically anything can get attached to the tab bar.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 11:10:28 AM »
In general I actually like the old icons a lot more :P The colours were much more vibrant.

What?? It thinks "colour" with "ou" is misspelled! The Bastards!
Try the British version.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 04:56:12 PM »
Noticed another bug.  Open two tabs.  Make the second tab the active one.  Now move your mouse back and forth between (just hover, don't click) the reload button and the first tab.

For me, I see the buttons from the toolbar appear in the tab.

Edit:  Wow... it's not just the buttons.  Seems like practically anything can get attached to the tab bar.
I can't reproduce that error.. BugZilla it and see what they tell you ;D

Thanks Wind, I'll give that a shot. Otherwise I think I'll just switch off the spell-checker, at least until they resolve it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 05:07:47 PM »
Yep, the UK version has the error too. Pretty weird.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 05:13:02 PM »
The easy way to fix it is to spell it the normal way to begin with.  ;D

:-[

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »
The easy way to fix it is to spell it the normal way to begin with.  ;D

:-[
Oh ha ha :P "Colour" is the "normal" way! Same with flavour, neighbour, honour, armour, and favourite! And I don't believe that some people spell it "tonite," it's "tonight!" And "humongous" is not a real word!

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 11:04:18 PM »
Yes! Yes! And the correct spelling is αεροπλανε! And καεσιυμ! And κοννεχιον! And αναλογυε and αρτεφακτ and κεντρε!

God damn heathen Yankees and the horrour of there spelling!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 11:53:05 PM »
Good news, they replied and here's how to fix it:

Right-click on a multi-line text box, go to Languages and click on "Add Dictionary" then close Firefox. When you restart make sure the dictionary you want is checked and selected.

Haha, Wind you think regular Americanized grammar irritates me? Imagine how I feel about the rampant mispronunciations of Arabic names! I mean some are acceptable because they contain letters which non-arabic speakers cannot pronounce (i.e. Ali, Mohammed, and all the Abduls). But a lot of people mispronounce my name: Karim. Which resulted in several nicknames for me i.e. Kreme, and many, many more.

English is an inferior language anyway. It's unnecessarily abstract, ambiguous, lacking words, and every rule has more exceptions than the actual words the rules were made for! Oddly enough that makes it a great language for universal communication.

Hehe it doesn't irritate me at all actually :P It's kinda cool how language deviates and varies from region to region :D Linguistics are awesome! ;D

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 04:33:52 AM »
All languages are dumb in their own way.  For instance, in the Romance languages, what the hell is the point of gender and why does the gender of everything have to match in a sentence?  And cases... same thing there.  Cases have to match to an extent in English too, but only for the nouns and verbs, not for nearly every word in the sentence.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 05:02:22 AM »
Hehe yeah, I know what you mean, though the gender thing is natural in every other language and for people who are learning English the "it" concept is bizarre :P

It's funny, in Arabic (and Français & Español as well) it makes perfect sense when I refer to the table as 'she' and it sounds normal, but in English it sounds like I have an unnatural attachment to it; like there's no reason to personify the table :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 05:17:04 AM »
Anyway... Is Thunderbird going to be getting the 2.0 treatment soon?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 05:49:08 AM »
One thing I notice about FF2.0 that I don't like is that the option to not accept cookies from 3rd party sites is gone.  In FF1.5 you had the option to accept cookies and also accept them for the originating site only.  That's gone.  It's either you accept or you don't.  Maybe 2.0 accepts for the originating site only period and that's why it is gone, but I'm thinking that's probably not the case.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 06:01:37 AM »
All languages are dumb in their own way.  For instance, in the Romance languages, what the hell is the point of gender and why does the gender of everything have to match in a sentence?  And cases... same thing there.  Cases have to match to an extent in English too, but only for the nouns and verbs, not for nearly every word in the sentence.

I like what Xessive said.  English seems confined by doing away with genders.  Gender attached to all nouns is natural, and enhances communication.  Feature-rich grammar helps expression too, even though learning it might be a bitch to a non-native.

Good news, they replied and here's how to fix it:

Right-click on a multi-line text box, go to Languages and click on "Add Dictionary" then close Firefox. When you restart make sure the dictionary you want is checked and selected.

That's not fixing it.  That's finishing the work they neglected to complete.  Adding words to the dictionary should only be necessary for your own special words, maybe technical terms or such.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 07:01:59 AM »
Anyone who says English is limited is just plain crazy.  English is one of the most beautiful languages and can do an awful lot of things mechanically that other languages cannot, though the same can be said of most languages really.  They're all unique in their own way, but where *sound* is concerned, English is one of the more musical and one of the most varied.  Personally, I think Japanese is the most beautiful spoken language, but it's much more limited in terms of variety in sound (which is a little ironic to me).  For a poet, that's tough.  That's why the Japanese pronounce American words their own way a lot of the time, to conform to their own sounds.  "Smith" they can't say, for instance, so the imitation would be "Sumisu".

Anyway... I think gender is also rather useless.  It does indeed add an interesting array of options to the language, but it's one of those things that really doesn't add much if the language is complex enough.  You can achieve the same things without it, at least in English.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 12:59:21 PM »
I like what Xessive said.  English seems confined by doing away with genders.  Gender attached to all nouns is natural, and enhances communication.  Feature-rich grammar helps expression too, even though learning it might be a bitch to a non-native.

That's not fixing it.  That's finishing the work they neglected to complete.  Adding words to the dictionary should only be necessary for your own special words, maybe technical terms or such.

Yeah, it's more like a temp work-around. Either way it considers "colour" correct now :P

Speaking on languages, I think any language achieves any beauty because we make it so. I don't know about anyone else whose English is not their first language, but in my case it's much easier to express feelings in Arabic, French, or Spanish. English is pretty cut 'n dry, but we still made poetry with it and added creativity to its use :P

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 03:32:03 PM »
Read the instructions more carefully. This is how you add the English-UK dictionary: right-click on a word in a multi-line text box, highlight Languages and click on Add dictionaries... in the sub-menu. A new page loads. Find the language you want, click "install," follow the dialogues after waiting for the "OK" button to appear, and restart Firefox after the download finishes.

Open Firefox, right-click on a multi-line text box, and select English / United Kingdom.

The UK dictionary recognizes colour but not color, and curiously not "Firefox."

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 03:46:05 PM »
Read the instructions more carefully. This is how you add the English-UK dictionary: right-click on a word in a multi-line text box, highlight Languages and click on Add dictionaries... in the sub-menu. A new page loads. Find the language you want, click "install," follow the dialogues after waiting for the "OK" button to appear, and restart Firefox after the download finishes.

Open Firefox, right-click on a multi-line text box, and select English / United Kingdom.

The UK dictionary recognizes colour but not color, and curiously not "Firefox."
Yep, sorry I was a little inaccurate :P

I wish they had the option of using both dictionaries or adding words to the dictionary. Like making a custom dictionary.