Author Topic: Peter Jackson's next games from Wingnut and Microsoft will be EPISODIC  (Read 4309 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Peter Jackson's next games from Wingnut and Microsoft will be EPISODIC
« on: Saturday, March 10, 2007, 08:58:34 AM »
Peter Jackson's next games w/ his Wingnut Studios, in partnership w/ Microsoft, will be EPISODIC

Peter Jackson Microsoft Games To Be Episodic

Last fall, Microsoft announced it was partnering with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson to form Wingnut Interactive. At the time the company was supposed to be working on two games, one of which would be based on Bungie's Halo universe. Now Gamasutra is reporting that during a GDC event it was confirmed that both Wingnut Interactive games would be episodic in nature and that the Halo game will be the first released

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Peter Jackson's next games from Wingnut and Microsoft will be EPISODIC
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 02:31:38 AM »
Personally, I kind of think the guy is a hack.  King Kong makes me think that way.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 02:53:51 AM »
I thought King Kong was pretty awesome, but was severely disappointed with LOTR. I just saw the first two.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
I hated King Kong.. It was long-winded, incoherent, and boring.

LOTR I didn't mind.. I'm not a huge fan of Tolkien to begin with, but I mildly enjoyed the movies.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 01:48:17 PM »
Personally, I kind of think the guy is a hack.  King Kong makes me think that way.

Haha I used to call him a hack jokingly up until I saw King Kong.
I liked LotR I thought he (and co.) did a great job where everyone else wouldn't have even touched it. Kong... well, it didn't need to be that long, it took too much time to develop side/character stories that went no where! I it saw once or twice in the movies but never even thought about picking it up on DVD.
I think he's grown a bit of an ego or an attitude since LotR, New Line wont work with him now, there's no way he'll be involved in Hobbit, the Studios pulledout of Halo, several big wigs in Hollywood have note4d he's difficult to work with etc... list goes on.

I don't think he's a hack at all, I just think he need to return to his roots and do some splatter movies, that's his genre he should stick to it... and he shouldn't feel as though every movie he makes needs to be 3+ hours long!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »
I hate that jerky, slo-mo shit he does. Only happened once or twice in the entire LOTR trilogy, but Kong had it several times. The worst? When the dude types SKULL on the typewriter. Dude, thats not epic or neat or anything...dont highlight it. Let him type, zoom in on the word, and end scene.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 07:04:34 PM »
People seem to think he's fucking great because of LotR.  I liked them, and think that he probably did a better job then a lot of people would, but given the source material, the budget, and the talent he had to work with, it would have been somewhat hard to fuck it up.

"The Hobbit without Peter Jackson will bomb!"  maybe one of the stupidest statements I've come across.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 07:18:45 PM »
King Kong had its moments, but in the end it's a pretty forgettable movie.

Lord of the Rings was pretty damn good, and I honestly think that it was a monumental achievement.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 11:25:11 PM »
Honestly, I've no idea what everyone has against the guy.  It's popular to badmouth him these days.  I don't think he's the best direction in the world or anything, but he's better than many.  I could give a rat's ass about what he's doing with gaming, but... *shrug*

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 11:43:08 PM »
Honestly, I've no idea what everyone has against the guy.  It's popular to badmouth him these days.  I don't think he's the best direction in the world or anything, but he's better than many.  I could give a rat's ass about what he's doing with gaming, but... *shrug*

Wait, when the fuck did you step off the hate-train?

But in all seriousness, I've noticed just the opposite.  Less hating, more praising...which is funny because the one movie he's made since LotR sucked balls.

The only thing negative I've really heard about him is from the head of New Line saying they won't work with him...which makes perfect sense because he's suing them and saying he won't start production until it's settled.  I don't know anything about the suit, but I do know that they have a limit on the licence for the Hobbit and if they don't make it now they probably won't at all...hence why they are (or maybe were) going ahead without him.

But really, all I know is King Kong fucking sucked.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 11:47:20 PM »
Have you even seen any of the movies he made *before* LotR, just out of curiosity?  And I dunno', all I hear is people bitching about him.  Haven't heard any praise of late.  Just bitching.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 11:58:07 PM »
People seem to think he's fucking great because of LotR.  I liked them, and think that he probably did a better job then a lot of people would, but given the source material, the budget, and the talent he had to work with, it would have been somewhat hard to fuck it up.

"The Hobbit without Peter Jackson will bomb!"  maybe one of the stupidest statements I've come across.

:o

I didn't like any of the LOTR movies basically because of the LOTR universe. However I think you are being very harsh, especially since you seemed to have liked his movies. The fact is that he got three out of three right, what more do you want?

And honestly, people have fucked up with a lot better ingredients.

A prequel to the Star Wars trilogy with Liam Nesson, Ewan McGregor etc. How could you fuck that up? While I enjoyed the second Star Wars trilogy, it was pretty soulless. Aside from that there are tons of movies out there that got fucked up despite having the perfect ingredients.

My point is if you like the movies, give the guy some credit.

The reason I didn't like the LOTR movies was because I found them boring. I am a massive fantasy fan, but couldn't really get into the movies, and found the trailers far more interesting.

I think my issue was really the lack of magic in the Tolkien universe. Gandalf seemed very powerless and there weren't any epic magic battles in the first two movies -- the ones I watched. The other issue was the orcs. The orcs basically looked like extras running around with half stitched head pieces on. I don't remember them looking like how Tolkein wanted. The siege laid by the orcs looked pretty fake. It basically looked like a gazillion extras and not like orcs.

Anyway I am going to rent the trilogy and watch it again.

As for King Kong, I have to say I loved it. It did get a bit too long, but it was pretty good.

edit:

Again I've only seen the first two, but I wanted to say something in defense of the changes in the movie. A lot of fanboys were upset with the modifications, but I think they were necessary to make the movie interesting.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 12, 2007, 12:17:19 AM »
Have you even seen any of the movies he made *before* LotR, just out of curiosity?  And I dunno', all I hear is people bitching about him.  Haven't heard any praise of late.  Just bitching.

Heavenly Creatures was good, and I saw that movie with Michael J. Fox.  Nothing special.  Doesn't change the fact that King Kong really sucked.  HARD.

I have no problem with how did LotR, but pretty much anyone could make those movies and I'd like them.

How could you fuck up the second Star Wars Trilogy?  In my mind it's a lot easier to do than fucking up LotR.  A.) it's star wars and  B.) it's an original story. 

The real question is how do you fuck up King Kong?

Oh, and seriously Que, what are you doing on that side of the hate fence.  You know you want to be over here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 12, 2007, 12:29:25 AM »
I only hate when hate is necessary.  I just don't think one lousy movie qualifies someone as a failure.  Most good directions have a good bunch of lousy movies under their belt.  Once the guy starts turning out consistent shit, I'll talk smack.  Just don't feel the need to yet.

Oh and Pug, *most* of the additions to the LotR movies were actually taken from appendices and "historical" Tolkien stuff.  The movies are a lot more accurate than people give them credit for.  There are still a few inconsistencies, but they're pretty few and far between.  Your average "Tolkien fan" who whines about it is actually far less familiar with Tolkien than Jackson.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday, March 12, 2007, 12:32:10 AM »
C'mon Que....it feels so good.  Hate him.....hate his useless and fatty self with the rest of us Que.  Join us. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Monday, March 12, 2007, 12:33:02 AM »
He isn't fat anymore.  Remember?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Monday, March 12, 2007, 12:49:04 AM »
I only hate when hate is necessary.  I just don't think one lousy movie qualifies someone as a failure.  Most good directions have a good bunch of lousy movies under their belt.  Once the guy starts turning out consistent shit, I'll talk smack.  Just don't feel the need to yet.

Oh and Pug, *most* of the additions to the LotR movies were actually taken from appendices and "historical" Tolkien stuff.  The movies are a lot more accurate than people give them credit for.  There are still a few inconsistencies, but they're pretty few and far between.  Your average "Tolkien fan" who whines about it is actually far less familiar with Tolkien than Jackson.

Didn't know that Que, thanks.

Also Peter Jackson looks a bit like Michael Moore to me heh.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #17 on: Monday, March 12, 2007, 10:37:25 AM »
Dude, Peter Jackson lost a lot of weight, he no longer looks that much like a bum in a tux/suit.

That said, I still stand by the fact that I really enjoyed the LotR movies.  I own all three extended edition DVDs and I watch them once every couple of months. 

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #18 on: Monday, March 12, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »

I think PJ has had a rough time of it lately, to me it would seem his honeymoon with Hollywood is over and a few studios are turning away from him or stepping back a little. There's been a few news items here about studios bitching about him for one reason or another. While I think he's a good enough director he was always a little against the grain, point and case he met our Prime Minister regarding the state of NZ film, PJ had very little to say other than the Govt. efforts were shit in this area. So I think his tendancy to speak his mind etc has rubbed some people the wrong way - and that's what we've been hearing a lot of recently.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Monday, March 12, 2007, 05:23:53 PM »
He isn't fat anymore.  Remember?

From an american perspective maybe not.  That doesn't change the fact that he's still ugly (and fat).  Thus, he is worthless.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 01:20:59 PM »
haha your point about the LOTR material being easier was well taken, but why do you have so much hatred for him?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 05:02:13 PM »
.....I just thought I'd find someone/thing popular to hate to see how it felt.  It feels really good.  That and because I don't like the way he looks.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 05:36:41 PM »
I'll just go on record to say I liked the LOTR movies.  I found them to be quite true to the book.  As far as excitement, well they are about as exciting as the Tolkein originals.

I also enjoyed Peter Jackson's first movie, Bad Taste.  It's just an over-the-top gore-fest comedy/action movie.  I guess it's supposed to be like Snakes On a Plane:  so stupid it's funny.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 06:38:02 PM »
I'll just go on record to say I liked the LOTR movies.  I found them to be quite true to the book.  As far as excitement, well they are about as exciting as the Tolkein originals.

I also enjoyed Peter Jackson's first movie, Bad Taste.  It's just an over-the-top gore-fest comedy/action movie.  I guess it's supposed to be like Snakes On a Plane:  so stupid it's funny.

You are right Scott - bad taste isn't meant to be taken any other way, it's just a silly movie with lots of gore. But please never meantion it in the same sentence as Snake on a Plane... please.  :P

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 06:41:16 PM »
Oh I agree.  Snakes On the Plane completely failed where Bad Taste succeeded.