Author Topic: Favorite Albums of the Year  (Read 7336 times)

Offline ender

Favorite Albums of the Year
« on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 03:33:36 PM »
I bought them all. No pirating for me. LIST YOUR FAVES.

1. WOLFMOTHER - S/T
2 TV ON THE RADIO - RETURN TO COOKIE MOUNTAIN
3. ARCTIC MONKEYS - WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM THAT'S WHAT I'M NOT
3. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - STADIUM ARCADIUM
5. ADAM GREEN - JACKET FULL OF DANGER
6.THOM YORKE - THE ERASER
7. THE RACONTEURS - S/T
8. SONIC YOUTH - RATHER RIPPED
9. THE STROKES - FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF EARTH
10. BUILT TO SPILL - IN REVERSE
11. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE - FUTURESEX/LOVESOUNDS
12. THE FLAMING LIPS - AT WAR WITH THE MYSTICS
13. BECK - THE INFORMATION
14. THE MARS VOLTA - AMPUTECHTURE
15. MATISYAHU - YOUTH

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Favorite Albums of the Year
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 03:37:20 PM »
I dont buy much music, so my faves this year would be:

Weird Al - Straight out of Lynwood
Kaki King - Until We Felt Red
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 05:59:49 PM »
1.Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
2.The Tragically Hip - World Container
3.Rise Against - The Sufferer and the Witness
4.Wolfmother - Wolfmother
5.Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
6.Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
7.Audioslave - Revelations
8.Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell 3: The Monster is Loose
9.Buckethead - The Elephant Mans Alarm Clock
10.Tool - 10 000 Days

I keep changing my mind on the order but it's basically that.

Offline ender

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 08:31:30 PM »
I really need to get Tool's new album... I've always been a big fan and had no idea it was already out this summer until just a few months ago.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 10:22:47 PM »
I really don't like Tool.  I used to like them quite a lot, but they've just become extremely formulaic to me.  Lateralus did have a pretty cool sound, and I managed to get into it a bit more after a while than I did initially, but I really dislike 10,000 Days.  It bores the crap out of me.  And everyone talks about how amazing Danny Carey is, and he *is* an amazing drummer... I just really don't like the way any of their music comes together anymore.  For a band that was always so much about pushing their personal envelope they've just become really predictable.

Eh... I know absolutely zero of you will agree with me, so I'll shut up.

Anyway... let's see.  I haven't been exposing myself to nearly as much music this year because I've been so freaking poor, and much of what I discovered was not "new" music, but I'll give it a shot.

1. Gorod - Leading Vision
2. Anata - The Conductor's Departure
3. Arsis - United in Regret

And wow, that's really all I have.  Otherwise I've just been listening to a lot of jazz, some classical, a lot of Velour 100, a little Death Cab, and a lot of obscure metal finds from years past.  So I have no idea about albums this year.  I suck.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ender

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 10:32:54 PM »
Dude, I haven't listened to Velour 100 in years. That's the ultimate in classic T&N bands.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 10:33:29 PM »
3. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - STADIUM ARCADIUM
Yeah, I liked that album a lot -- especially for a double CD. For a double album, it's extremely good.
11. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE - FUTURESEX/LOVESOUNDS
Timbaland's production on that CD is outstanding.

15. MATISYAHU - YOUTH
I really did like that album, but not as much as one of his other CD's -- "Live At Stubbs."

I think one of the best hip-hop/rap CD's I've heard this year is the new Nas album -- "Hip Hop Is Dead." It's his best effort since "Illmatic", if you ask me.

Also, I should mention that "Fishscale" by Ghostface was a great hip-hop/rap disc that came out this year, as well. Speaking of Ghostface, I should pick up  his new CD -- "More Fish."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 10:37:50 PM »
Dude, I haven't listened to Velour 100 in years. That's the ultimate in classic T&N bands.

It always amazes me when somebody's heard of them.  If I remember right, you're also a Starflyer 59 fan, aren't you?  Which is awesome.  I actually just bought all of Velour 100's music not too long ago.  I've loved them for years and years and never actually owned a single disk.  It makes no sense.  So I went and bought all of it finally.  Amon Krist has the most amazing voice in the world to me for some reason.

Offline ender

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 11:23:07 PM »
Yeah, I've listened to SF59 since Silver came out. There were a lot of really good bands on that label back then...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 11:43:58 PM »
Kind of a shame there really aren't anymore.  At least not what I've listened to lately.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 25, 2006, 01:34:55 AM »
I love Tool, but 10,000 days was disappointing.  I'm with you Que -- Tool had something awesome and they missed it with 10,000 days.  I do kinda like the album, but I wish it was better because it's Tool.

And Stadium Arcadium is absolutely album of the year.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2006, 11:52:55 PM »
I dont usually keep up with new music, I just mainly stick to the metal scene looking for new bands that impress me. So I'll just put my vote for album of the year even though it doesnt mean much.

Insomnium's Above the Weeping World

Im a sucker for melodic metal and this one just hits the nail on the head. I dont think its their greatest, but its still an amazing album which has placed them as one of my favorite bands of all time. As for Tool's new album, I dont consider Tool to be all that technically amazing, I still found 10,000 days quite pleasing. It mixed some old style with new and I thought it came out pretty good.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 05:25:53 PM »
Oh, also... I forgot to change my opinion on the Thom Yorke album.  I hated it at first, but I really do like it after a few listens.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 06:36:48 PM »
I love Tool, but 10,000 days was disappointing.  I'm with you Que -- Tool had something awesome and they missed it with 10,000 days.  I do kinda like the album, but I wish it was better because it's Tool.

And Stadium Arcadium is absolutely album of the year.

What's your favourite song off Stadium Arcadium? For me it'd be Wet Sand

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 28, 2006, 03:20:19 AM »
Wet Sand had been my favorite for a long time, but I think I overplayed it.  I'll probably still go with either that one, Charlie, or Turn it Again.  I haven't seen too much Turn it Again love, but I don't think a lot of people really listen to that track.  Such an awesome, awesome song though.  By far the best guitar solo on the album.  It really is tough to choose one favorite.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 29, 2006, 04:40:26 PM »
Arsis - United in Regret (Que knows what's up! This album is really good...not as good as A Celebration of Guilt, but still good.)

Jedi Mind Tricks - Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell

Ghostface Killah - More Fish

Ignite - Our Darkest Days

Blacklisted - ...The Beat Goes On

Tragedy - Vengeance

Cephalic Carnage - Anomilies

Converge - No Heroes

Necro - The Sexorcist

Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin

Heaven Shall Burn - Deaf to Our Prayers

Municipal Waste - Hazardous Mutation

...that's all I can think of for now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Friday, December 29, 2006, 08:03:55 PM »
Haha, dude you listen to Cephalic Carnage?

Necro - The Sexorcist

And what the hell is that?  Didn't anybody tell them White Zombie tread that territory years ago?

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, December 30, 2006, 07:27:16 PM »
Dude, I listen to all metal. Isn't it what all the kids these days listen to?

And as for Necro...man, I don't care if he stole the title from White Zombie, that CD is so funny. The man is seriously, seriously disturbed.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, December 30, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
Never heard him.  It wasn't really a diss, I just thought it was kind of funny.

And yes, I listen to all metal as well.  But no, I don't think all the kids are doing that these days.  Most of them are listening to really shitty metal.  They should be listening to more spectacularly good music instead.  But really, I find it hard to find people who share my taste even in metal these days.  Was different back in the day, seemed like.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, December 31, 2006, 01:15:32 PM »
Yeah, I find it hard too. I try to name drop something like Bathory or Immortal and I get a complete look of confusion from most people. It sucks! But whatever, it is black metal and it is the cheesiest thing on the planet....ever!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 02, 2007, 06:35:12 PM »

Ghostface Killah - More Fish

Do you prefer More Fish over Fishscale?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, March 03, 2007, 01:58:45 AM »
Damn I can't believe I never replied to this thread(one of MyD necroposts was actually a good thing for once), a little late, but some of my favorite albums of 2006 were:

Arsis - United in Regret
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Zao - The Fear is What Keeps Us Here
Anata - The Conductor's Departure
Beck - The Information

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, March 03, 2007, 02:43:47 AM »
Hell yeah, gettin' some Anata in there!  More people need to listen to them, damn it.  I didn't know Zao had a new one out, either.  I gotta' grab that.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, March 03, 2007, 02:48:16 AM »
Hell yeah, gettin' some Anata in there!  More people need to listen to them, damn it.  I didn't know Zao had a new one out, either.  I gotta' grab that.

I want to listen to their earlier stuff more, but its hard to "find", I've liked what I've heard from Under A Stone With No Inscription but that was only like 3 tracks.  I remember making a thread on the new Zao album at The Mind's Eye and you posted in it too, you silly, silly man.  The newest Zao album is good, but not as good as The Funeral of God in my opinion.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, March 03, 2007, 02:57:19 AM »
Pretty hard to beat Funeral of God.  That's one of the better concept albums I've heard lately.  And you know, you probably did mention it and I probably just forgot.  I'm sort of sad that way.

But definitely pick up more Anata.  If you like The Conductor's Departure, you'll probably like the other stuff.  It's a bit more straight ahead, as TCD experimented a little bit more with discordant oddities, but both Under A Stone and Dreams of Death and Dismay are well worth owning.  I think they have one other early album also, but that one I haven't yet been able to track down.  Lyrically these guys could use a little assistance given that their English isn't the best ever, but musically I don't think there's currently a more original and necessary death metal band in the world right now.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, March 03, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »
Damn, haven't looked at this topic in a while...

But MysterD, I like More Fish a lot better than Fish Scales, but both CDs are awesome.

I picked up a really old Necro CD Gory Days, and god damn it's great. If you guys like death rap with really crude lyrics, you'll find this guy funny.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, March 04, 2007, 07:03:57 AM »
Damn, haven't looked at this topic in a while...

But MysterD, I like More Fish a lot better than Fish Scales, but both CDs are awesome.
Interesting.

I preferred Fishscale myself, but yes -- both CD's are awesome, like you said. Agreed. More Fish is very good -- especially for a CD that is basically many of the left-overs that didn't make Fishscale. I do wish Ghost dropped a verse of his own in "Gotta Hold On" w/ Shawn Wiggs and Eamon. Love that song, though.

The track I seem to be spinnin' the most right now is from Nas' album Hip Hop Is Dead is "Who Killed It?" This track is just way the hell out there. Nas is rappin' in a 40's detective accent and also in some 40's slang. Basically, he talks about two guys who died over this girl, who actually is "hip hop" -- and that she took all the $ and ran. He makes a whole load of references to 80's and 90's rap songs, styles, groups and stuff. Personally, I think the two he's referring to are probably Biggie and 2Pac. Nas also picks on himself and how he "sold out" (namely w/ the whole "Escobar" thing), too.