Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins -> Update: DAO Ultimate joins GOG  (Read 153505 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: The Awakening in March 2010 maybe? (Reply 469)
« Reply #480 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 12:22:35 AM »
Yea I do most of my battles while controller her as well. Sometimes I have to ninja pause it though. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: The Awakening in March 2010 maybe? (Reply 469)
« Reply #481 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 12:42:58 AM »
Funny, everyone loves her... I barely even use her.  She annoys me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #482 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 12:45:46 AM »
I don't use her because my main character is a mage, and I like taking Wynne with me as a healer... if I bring Morrigan as well, then that'd be 3 mages.  It isn't a good combination, generally speaking.  You also lose the ability to lockpick as well without Leliana or Zevran. 

I suspect I will use her when I play through again as a warrior or a rogue though.  The mage abilities are quite powerful.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #483 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 01:01:21 AM »
Yea I think both of you have your main characters as mages, so it would be redundant to have her in the squad.

Like iPPi, I have one tank (Alistar), one rogue (my main char. who is a ranger/archer/lock picker), one defensive mage (Wynne), and one attacking mage (Morrigan).

Like I mentioned earlier several times, Wynne and Morrigan make a great team. By the time they are done casting blizzard, earthquake, grease, crushing prison, the group of enemies are often easy pickings.

Some of the game's dialog is quite funny though..

At some point in the game you will get...
(click to show/hide)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #484 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 01:06:16 AM »
Funny, everyone loves her... I barely even use her.  She annoys me.

Heh, yea I felt the same going through on my first time, had to use her though since she was the only mage I had for a while.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #485 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 02:31:42 AM »
Her personality is funny and stuff, but again, I sort of hate the character design in this game.  I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they drew up her outfit.  And she's like a stick with two balloons for lips.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #486 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 04:11:26 AM »
Yea I think they were trying to make her sexy and it all went wrong.

On the bright side she doesn't have giant boobs.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #487 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 04:13:29 AM »
Yea I think they were trying to make her sexy and it all went wrong.

On the bright side she doesn't have giant boobs.
I'm just glad she's not a stereotype.. Her appearance anyway.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #488 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 04:16:06 AM »
And what's with the fucking eyeshadow?  Weirds me out.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #489 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 04:20:21 AM »
And what's with the fucking eyeshadow?  Weirds me out.
Yeah, I just chocked that up to living outside of society and not knowing how to use make-up. Alternatively, it could just be poorly applied wilder body paint. I think she would have been cooler if they had made her look more savage, maybe some face paint.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #490 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 05:41:24 AM »
I have no problem with the way she looks, I mean its the typical exploitive-female-in-a-video-game look. Her top is nothing but jewelry and a red sash for crying out loud. But her character is well written and well voiced so it makes up for the outfit. Even though I did find that her view on things to be different from my character I still thought she was interesting.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #491 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »
I like the way she looks, but I just don't like the outfit at all.

The voice acting is excellent though, as is the dialog.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #492 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »
I like the way she looks, but I just don't like the outfit at all.

The voice acting is excellent though, as is the dialog.

Claudia Black does a hell of a job as Morrigan, I must say/type.

Hmmm...she also voiced Chloe in Uncharted 2.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #493 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
I love Claudia Black...

I think she is one of the few women that can pull off that "I'm a women and also bad ass thing." Like Sigourney Weaver in Aleins.

Black played Officer Aeryn Sun in Farscape...I've been a fan of hers ever since...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #494 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
I've never watched Farscape.

EDIT:
Oooh, she was in Pitch Black. Yeah, that was an awesome movie - which is easily the best of the two Riddick flicks.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #495 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »
She is very good as a voice actress, but unfortunately she isn't very pleasing on the eyes. You can't tell from some of her pics...

Farscape I saw all the seasons because of Scary. For the longest time, I pictured Scary as the main dude from the show.

Early on, I was disappointed with the show. I think the reason was that I got to it well past its expiry date, and the special effects were quite bad. And while the main characters were pretty good (except for the white haired chick on left of that pic; she was pretty poor early on), the random guest starring cast were pretty uneven.

Having said that, the show was pretty endearing. I think the main reason was the characterization. The main characters were well written, and were multidimensional with believable flaws. They argued, acted like asses etc.

Plus all the main actors did a good job... and even the chick who played the white haired alien improved somewhat later.

The other thing was that the makeup and stuff was fantastic. It was all handled by Jim Henson, and thus felt similar to the Star Wars trilogy. That little alien creature on the bottom left not for an instant felt like a muppet or something.

The newer Star Wars trilogy was very entertaining, but felt bloodless partly because the late Jim Henson's company wasn't making a contribution... so you can imagine that Farscape had plenty of soul in that regard.

I really can't remember any of their names because my brain is terrible, but the main character was probably the best. His romance with Claudia Black was really well handled, and never felt milked or anything. You'd think he would have been drawn similar to the Han Solo archetype from Star Wars, but he was quite different. He was actually painted as a genuinely nice guy with a big heart, who took everything with a sense of excitement and humor.

He was basically an astronaut from our time on planet earth, who somehow ended up in space and discovered that it was full of various forms of technologically advanced intelligent alien beings. The writers of the show were smart enough to make him behave exactly like any of us would in such a situation -- with tons of enthusiasm and excitement. I guess that's what made him such a memorable character, because watching him on the show, I almost felt it like it was me, or a buddy.

There were some great moments in the show.

One was when he ended up on this planet that was full of beautiful people who were constantly making out and getting it on.

He looked around for about five minutes as if he were at a candy store, and then exclaimed:

I LOVE THIS PLANET!

Anyway, I really went on with this. Overall, it was a memorable show, but a lot of the episodes were weak. While the main characters were strong, many of the episode plots were quite underwhelming.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #496 on: Sunday, January 03, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »
Pug,

Is it me, or does Tempest spell (even though it's a lightning spell) feel like the new Cloudkill?
Just the huge range radius and damage it does period repeatedly...is crazy.

It basically wiped-out my own party and almost an enemy's party, in one battle...

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #497 on: Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 01:10:53 PM »
It appears the DLC 'Return to Ostagar' has been delayed indefinitely.  It's not clear as to what is causing the delay. 

Also, it looks like the Awakening expansion will be available for download or purchase for $40.  Let's hope there's a lot of content in it to justify its price tag.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #498 on: Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 01:50:19 PM »
D my mages are nearly maxed out and I haven't even touch some of the high level spells like tempest, so I don't know.

iPPi, that really sucks. I was really looking forward to it and even added money to my account in advance. I bet they found some game crippling bug in the 11th hour?

But that expansion seems to be quite expensive. Let's see.

edit:

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/12733--update-dragon-age-awakening-expansion-announced-with-trailer/

Rumours of the "Awakening" Dragon Age: Origins expansion have turned out to be true Electronic Arts confirms to us today, along with full details and assets.

First off, the new content appears to be a standalone expansion (we've inquired with the publisher, so check back), and will sell for $40 USD on consoles and $30 on PC. Pricey, but you do get quite a bit for the money.

"Awakening" is writen and designed by the same team, and brings players into a fresh new area called Amaranthine, infested with an "evolved, intelligent breed" of darkspawn, or neo-darkspawn, if you will.

You'll also face off against the Inferno Golem and Spectral Dragon (it wouldn't be a Dragon Age expansion without more dragons), re-spec your character if you like (notably, a feature already available with PC mods), see a higher level cap, new spells, abilities, specializations, items, and five new party members. Indeed, the big fight may be over, but you know how these things go, at least when there's DLC and expansions to be had (not that we're complaining).

Story-wise, you'll be rebuilding the ranks of the Grey Wardens (a new base called "Vigil's Keep" will be provided for this purpose), discovering just how those darn darkspawn continue to fester, resolving the conflict with the mysterious "Architect", and enjoying other content not yet noted. A cool option here is continuing with a character you've already made, or starting fresh as a new Grey Warden from the neighbouring land of Orlais.

$30 for the PC version and rolling fresh new characters in an entirely new city doesn't sound so bad.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 02:19:27 PM by Pugnate »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #499 on: Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »
Well looks like you can continue with your old character -- thus the level cap raise -- though you have the option to roll anew.

Trailer... looks good... but where is Manson's 'music'?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #500 on: Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 02:39:09 PM »
Well looks like you can continue with your old character -- thus the level cap raise -- though you have the option to roll anew.

Trailer... looks good... but where is Manson's 'music'?

Where it belongs - NOT in THIS game.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #501 on: Wednesday, January 06, 2010, 03:24:09 PM »
I finished it up today.  What a great game.  There appears to be quite a few different ways this game can end as well, so I think I might play through from one of the close to the end save files I made.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: PC Patch 1.02 released (Reply 339)
« Reply #502 on: Wednesday, January 06, 2010, 05:13:59 PM »
That's awesome ippi, I'm curious what the choices you made at the end, here's what I did:

Well I finally finished it the other night, I can say I completed most of the side quests and my final time was just over 80 hours. This was such an amazing RPG, definitely ranks up there with the best I have ever played. It was a little tough at first and there was a bit of a learning curve getting used to the combat and trying to think tactically more than I usually would for this kind of game but the experience has been truly rewarding on so many levels, from its combat to the very rich and in-depth story. The story was very enjoyable if not a little typical and formulaic but its implementation of how you fit in the world and how the choices you make can change it was something much more engrossing in Dragon Age than any other Bioware game I have played, though keep in mind I haven't played anything from Bioware pre-KOTOR.

Anyhow, theres lots of big stuff that happens in the end that can really fuck with you, decision wise stuff. You can go to the Bioware social network stuff and see all the choices I made as it even tracks all that which I thought is pretty neat. But I'll explain my reasoning here.

(click to show/hide)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #503 on: Wednesday, January 06, 2010, 05:46:30 PM »
My playthrough clocked in at 63 hours, with most side quests completed.  I was level 22 by the end of the game.  Here's what I did:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #504 on: Wednesday, January 06, 2010, 09:58:04 PM »
Man, I still haven't finished it yet. I am at the final stages of the 'meet'.

Anyway here is the expansion interview:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1058713p2.html

It does sound awesome.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #505 on: Friday, January 08, 2010, 01:43:48 AM »
Yea Im totally excited too, I think if it comes out to be 30 hours of content I will be happy. They also mention that the Return to Ostagar DLC has been delayed to the end of this month.

To be honest though, I am doubting a little its going to be out by march. I'd probably bet this is going to be a mid summer release.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #506 on: Friday, January 08, 2010, 02:18:47 AM »
With Mass Effect 2 coming out at the end of January, the Return to Ostagar DLC appears to be poorly timed if it is indeed planned for the end of January.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #507 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 04:48:36 AM »
Just finished. One of the greatest games I ever played. What stood out was the fantastic combat, the combat mechanics, the skill system, and of course the companions. The way the companions were developed was fantastic. The ending was just brilliant.

There are so many ways you can end the the game, and it makes for lots of motivation to do a few more replays.

Haha I made key saves as well, but I agree wtih iPPi:

It's just somewhat daunting that the final battle is 3 hours in gameplay length. 

(click to show/hide)

And Pyro:

(click to show/hide)

Wow... I suspected as much, but that's awesome.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 06:12:37 AM by Pugnate »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #508 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »
I ended up changing it to casual difficulty so I could get to the endings more quickly.  On casual it takes about an hour to get through the final battle.

(click to show/hide)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #509 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »
I actually didn't mess with seeing the various endings that much, I just like hearing what others did.

(click to show/hide)

I'm actually picking up on my second play through, I'm pretty much just messing around with this guy. I had an idea for a group setup and its working out well. I basically set most of my characters up as tanks and do some area of effect spells. For instance the walking bomb spells are absolutely devastating against large groups of enemies clustered together and since my party member have high constitution they take minimal damage. Right now I have Morrigan and Shale with me at all times, Im using Morrigan's shapeshifting abilities which are completely awesome if you max them out, her bear form is powerful, and I have Shale specced as the main tank and its a bit ridiculous how much damage he can take. Then I usual switch a member out between one of the rogues or Alistair, Sten, or Oghren. Im also giving Morrigan all the healing spells in case things go bad she can shift back to mage and do some support. Probably my groups main weakness would be situations where enemies are spread out. Also not having a rogue around is a pain without their lockpicking and trap detection, I cant seem to put Zevran to good use since he can't take much damage, Im thinking of making both him and Leliana archers.

Also as far as the codex stuff goes, in contrast to Que, I actually love it, more so than Mass Effect. I'm so in love with this game's world now, I even bought the 2 Dragon Age novels available off amazon. We were discussing in IRC that it was just our preference of books is what made our attraction to said universe. I mostly read science fiction so Mass Effect's story was something I was all too familiar with, but having not read much fantasy, Dragon Age pulled me right in easily.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #510 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 10:42:48 PM »
Yeah, I think that's a big part of the divide.  Both games are awesome, regardless.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #511 on: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 12:29:22 AM »
I played through all the origin stories now and knowing what ends up happening in the game, each origin story is very cohesive in how it weaves itself into the overarching storyline.  It's very well done.  However, they do seem a little short.  I could have sworn that the mage origin story was about 2 hours in length, but I was only getting 40 minutes out of the other origin stories.  It could have been there were no more tutorials and I may have skipped ahead on some dialogue... that could have shortened it. 

Of the six origin stories, the dwarf noble and the mage ones are the best I think.  It could be because the main quests end up involving those two areas and the characters a lot more.  The Dalish elf one was probably the worst.  It was also the shortest and doesn't connect to the main storyline.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 01:12:27 AM by iPPi »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #512 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 12:02:30 AM »
Really, the mage one is the best? I have heard that it alongside the Dalsih elf is the weakest?

But I have heard good things about the Dwarf noble storyline as well.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #513 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
If I had to rate the origin stories it'd be like this:

1. Dwarf Noble

(click to show/hide)

2. Human Noble

(click to show/hide)

3. Mage

(click to show/hide)

4. Dwarf Commoner

(click to show/hide)

5. City Elf

(click to show/hide)

6. Dalish Elf

There is no correlation to the main storyline in this origin.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #514 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
I made my way to the battle....
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #515 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I made my way to...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #517 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5453665/the-best-role+playing-games-of-2009

Dragon Age is awesome. :)
I really can't wait for DAO - Awakening expansion. Bioware has always seemed to set the standard for RPG expansions - i.e. BG2: TOB and NWN: Hordes.

It's really gonna be interesting to see what will be The Best RPG of 2010. If The Witcher 2 makes 2010, I think that RPG could be the one for me...

EDIT:
Steam's already taking pre-orders for DAO - Awakening (Expansion) at $39.99.
Steam version of DAO is required for you to go after Steam version of DAO - Awakening, of course.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 04:21:55 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #519 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 02:00:29 PM »
A great review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/arts/television/04dragon.html?sq=Dragon%20Age&st=cse&adxnnl=1&scp=1&adxnnlx=1262617222-PUO7o7zYPWVqUTi7kp8eJw

He highlights exactly what I love about this game so much.

Awesome article. Thanks, Pug.

DAO is my new crack. Despite getting the shit kicked out of me in some of the bigger and tougher battles - i.e. I still ain't beat freakin' Jarvia! - I often come back to the same battle numerous times, trying my luck. And often, losing. If I win - feels like its by the skin of my teeth w/ barely any health and one or two party members conscious. With many other games, I just would've shut the game OFF by now and took a break from it - i.e. like I often do w/ Grand Theft Auto titles, when frustration sets in.

But, DAO's got so much other things going on and so many quests to do - i.e. like the Elder Scrolls games - I'm just come back to this tough area and battles (like Jarvia) at another time, when I have more levels and better equipment behind me.

When my vid card died, Torchlight took over. Since I got my video card back, I've not even looked at Torchlight - it's been for the most part, DAO. A few times when I got frustrated w/ DAO, I went to other games like Street Fighter 4 or GTA4, for a small time period. But, it's eventually, not too long later, right back to DAO.