Author Topic: Lets Bitch About Our Jobs!  (Read 6404 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Lets Bitch About Our Jobs!
« on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »
I'm drunk and I wait tables, but I think there is some stuff that people should know about restaurant etiquette and treating servers. Feel free to add to the bitching:

1. Don't Ask Me For Weird Shit: I've had people ask me for glasses so they could read the menu, where we bought our lights from, etc. However, what really irks me is when people come in and want to make their own dishes. I work in an upper scale, privately owned Italian restaurant and people come in and ask for the dumbest combinations ever. Its not so much that they ask me for something that doesn't exist, its the fact that they have the balls to ask for it, expect me to to play a game of telephone with the kitchen (with them looking at me like I'm a moron) and have it come out exactly the way they wanted. The people in the kitchen know what they're doing, when you mess with the perfected recipe, (let alone completely change it) you're taking a chance. Don't blame me when it doesn't come out as expected...maybe you should've fixed it yourself at home?

2. If you want to talk, we can talk, but you need to understand that I'm busy. No matter how much I like talking to you, I'm still busy. So, when I try to end the conversation or walk away, let me go. If I have time, I swear I'll be back and we can start off right where we left off.

3. Don't Ask For Two Drinks: If you want a glass of wine/beer/shot/water, you're good in my book. However, if you ask for a coke and water, you're wasting my time and making me carry more and do more work. Personally, I never drink water when I drink booze, but I empathize with you, but there is no reason for a water and soda...pick one!

4. When you're done eating, please leave. Even if we were a 24 hour place, there is a limit to your welcome. Even if I don't have a life, your lack of one shouldn't keep me at work after we're closed because you have nothing else better to do. Just remember: I can't leave until you do.

I'll end this on a drunken good note.

5. If there is something wrong, please tell me. It doesn't matter if its my fault or not, I will fix it for you. Please (and I beg you), don't wait until the end and ask for a manager or take it out on my tip.

Thats just the customers, I have so much more to bitch about.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Lets Bitch About Our Jobs!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
I completely sympathize with you on 1 & 2.  I get embarrassed when people I go with to a restaurant start customizing what's on the menu.  I think it's at the very least inconsiderate.  I've never run into 2, but yeah, I can see that.  People working for a living need to be allowed to do their work, and long personal conversations aren't a part of your work. 

3 & 4, though, I have to disagree.  OK, you can't overstay your welcome by hours, but when people go to an upscale restaurant, they're often there to make an evening of it.  They want to take their time.  They don't want to be rushed, and they will have some slow time after the meal.  I try to be considerate in such a situation by ordering something appropriate, like a cappuccino or other after-dinner drink.

Water should be served without it even being asked for at a fine restaurant.  It's part of the minimum requirements, like good napkins and silverware.  I know I'm old-fashioned.  What can I say?  I'm old.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »
I completely sympathize with you on 1 & 2.  I get embarrassed when people I go with to a restaurant start customizing what's on the menu.  I think it's at the very least inconsiderate.  I've never run into 2, but yeah, I can see that.  People working for a living need to be allowed to do their work, and long personal conversations aren't a part of your work. 

3 & 4, though, I have to disagree.  OK, you can't overstay your welcome by hours, but when people go to an upscale restaurant, they're often there to make an evening of it.  They want to take their time.  They don't want to be rushed, and they will have some slow time after the meal.  I try to be considerate in such a situation by ordering something appropriate, like a cappuccino or other after-dinner drink.

Water should be served without it even being asked for at a fine restaurant.  It's part of the minimum requirements, like good napkins and silverware.  I know I'm old-fashioned.  What can I say?  I'm old.

If they want to stay after the meal, I don't mind. They don't even have to order anything else, but when all the lights are on, the tv is turned off and the music stops...take a hint and go home. Not even home, just not at this restaurant anymore.

When someone asks for alcohol, coffee or some other type of specialized drink, I'll bring them water (they don't need to ask for it, I just do it). However, I don't get the water thing. We're above casual, but we're not upscale like that. I think it has more to do with me never asking for it, but having to deal with it when I work.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 01:03:37 PM »
The water I do.  Soda or booze doesn't hydrate you at all, so I feel like it's perfectly justifiable to want something tasty and something that will actually do good for your body.  And if I'm drinking a lot, I want water handy anyway.

Still, you're right in a lot of ways.  I'm a big tipper pretty much always because I feel like wait staff always go through a lot of crap, and if they do a good job, the customer needs to be the one to acknowledge that.  A waiter or waitress's paycheck usually won't.

As for my job... well, I don't have one anymore.  I could bitch about being a writer, but life hasn't given me much of a chance to even do that thus far.  I could bitch about my life, but I do that too often anyway.  So I'll just sit this one out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 02:40:15 PM »
I'm drunk and I wait tables, but I think there is some stuff that people should know about restaurant etiquette and treating servers. Feel free to add to the bitching:

I hate going out to eat with my mother, because she does most of this shit.

1. She ALWAYS does this. She's been on a low carb diet for YEARS, but keeps messing it up. That doesn't keep her from trying to order special stuff though. She brings her own damn low carb tortillas to the mexican restaurant for the appetizer, then orders a tortilla based entree without the tortillas and has them add other shit to it.

2. She does this too. She never shuts up. I've seen her keep a waiter/waitress at our table just talking for 10+ minutes, and she doesn't stop when the person starts looking around to make sure their boss isn't watching them. I do take comfort in the fact that the owners know us because we almost always go to the same place, so they know she never shuts up.

4. Everything with my family takes hours, including eating. I don't understand why a meal has to take at least an hour and a half EVERY TIME, but it does.

5. She manages to do this, but somehow make it sound insulting every time. I understand there could be a lot of problems in a restaurant that are not the fault of the wait staff, so I don't ever assume it is.

It's so embarrassing to eat out with her.

As far as job bitching, I guess there's the fact that I still don't have one. I thought I had something nice lined up, which would have included me moving out of state and doing a job I was really interested in. It fell through though, and now I'm back to needing to find some shit here to save money.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »
I worked for four months as an IT Technician.  It was a terrible, terrible job.  The first three weeks were boring as hell since there was nothing to do.  I was getting paid to do nothing.  It sounds like a good thing but when you're sitting around for 8 hours a day it just feels like a waste of time.  I ended up getting assigned tech related tasks and had to go around the University campus troubleshooting telephone and internet connectivity issues.  It sucked having to lug 20-30 pounds of equipment around campus.  I got the hell out of that job as quickly as possible, since it wasn't even in the realm of my major (engineering).

The next job I held was a Test Engineer.  No complaints there generally, aside from process.  The company had very strict processes for documentation submission and various other tasks.  What this caused was massive overhead.  For example, if a system requirement needed to be changed, it required at the very least 2-3 weeks of paperwork in order to change it.  This incurs great cost for the company and just headaches all around, especially when we had deadlines approaching.

I changed positions into a System Engineer and it was even worse, since as an SE (equivalent to a Business Analyst, depending on the industry), it was all documentation and paperwork of how the system and product was to behave and to generate requirements for the developers after speaking with the customers.  The overhead was just too much to get any work done.

After a couple years with that company I changed to a different company in the telecommunications industry and it was a lot different.  This company followed Agile software development and things were fast paced in comparison to the old company.  No complaints with the telecommunications company there.  I had a blast working there.

And now I am unemployed since I decided to go back to school.  The semester is coming to an end fairly soon so I have to see if I can find a job over the summer.  I wasn't able to secure a law-related summer job, so I have to see if I can find something Engineering related over the summer.  I don't want to waste four months doing nothing.  The problem is most engineering companies don't want to hire temporary or summer students, since it takes approximately 2-4 months just to ramp up. 

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
Having nothing to do is mind numbing, unfortunately, having a bunch of servers having nothing to do and standing around is frowned upon. No matter how slow it is they want us to keep moving, luckily I'm always pacing.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 07, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »
Some of my friends love to "customize" the menu, ask lots of point less questions and in general act condescending to the waiters. The worst is when it comes to leaving a tip and they debate if the waiter deserved it based on the point less chit chat. Just order your food and enjoy it already.

Offline bullshark

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 01:15:07 AM »
Honestly, I can't complain.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »
Honestly, I can't complain.

Really? Nothing at all?

Long time no see btw.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »
I hate my work, because while it can be rewarding, I recently came out of six months of uncertainty and possible financial doom.

But even when it is rewarding, I have to constantly deal with the most idiotic unreasonable people known to man, who act worse because paypal empowers them.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 12:05:15 AM »
I hate my work, because while it can be rewarding, I recently came out

Offline bullshark

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 02:46:03 AM »
Really? Nothing at all?

Long time no see btw.

Yeah it's been a while. I have my health and I don't go to bed hungry.  Sure I wouldn't mind having some other things in life but all in all, I can't complain.

I hate my work, because while it can be rewarding, I recently came out
Hahaha genius dude, absolutely genius.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 05:16:39 AM »
hahaha W7RE.

STUPID GOATS SHUTUP

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »
old people should not be allowed phones. the amount of time i get asked how to turn a phone on in a day is unreal. i feel the government should arm me with a lethal injection needle just to ease societies suffering of these wretched dinosaurs.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
I worked 70 hours this week... on salary.   >:(  I got home a couple hours ago and I have to go back to work at 5:00am for at least a few hours.  Next week is looking like it might be busier...

This is just the tip of the iceberg about all the shit going on with me.  I don't have time to go into the details...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 12:28:13 AM »
old people should not be allowed phones. the amount of time i get asked how to turn a phone on in a day is unreal. i feel the government should arm me with a lethal injection needle just to ease societies suffering of these wretched dinosaurs.

hahah...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 05:24:52 AM »
I worked 70 hours this week... on salary.   >:(  I got home a couple hours ago and I have to go back to work at 5:00am for at least a few hours.  Next week is looking like it might be busier...

This is just the tip of the iceberg about all the shit going on with me.  I don't have time to go into the details...

This I don't miss at all.  I had one employer at a software-development outfit say very frankly at a meeting that "your time is paid for".  Shorthand for "we'll work you as long and as hard as we feel like".  That attitude has only gotten worse in the last 2 decades.  So I really feel for you.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 06:58:21 AM »
Yeah our new-ish Director of IT decided it was somehow a good idea to tackle two absolutely huge projects simultaneously with a third on their heels.  We can handle multiple projects at the same time, but not these sorts of projects.  They each deserve full, undivided attention and they aren't getting that.  Plus deadline after deadline is getting missed and he is wondering why.  Fuck you.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 08:46:34 AM »
My feeling exactly.  With wage slavery becoming the norm, I pity young people just getting into the workforce.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
No overtime or time off in lieu?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #21 on: Monday, March 14, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »
Haha, no.  I'm a salaried employee.  In the U.S. this makes you an "exempt" employee, which means that the employer is not required to pay overtime if you work over 40 hours in one week.  Employers of course can pay overtime if they wish and so some salaried employees do earn overtime, though I don't know any personally that do.

As far as a day off, my boss did grant me an extra day off a few weeks ago but I'm working longer and harder now with no end in sight.

So let me sort of sum up what is happening.  A few months ago, my old boss resigned.  He was also our Cisco networking expert, something I couldn't easily replace.  I picked up 80% of his duties, my current boss picked up 10%, and we hired a Cisco expert on contract for a few months but he busied himself with fixing a bunch of problems he noticed and setting up all kinds of crazy network and security monitoring.  That was good, but it didn't really ease my load any and we only kept him until late January.

Then two months ago the Director of IT announced they were laying off 75% of the IT infrastructure staff on 4/1/11 and outsourcing the helpdesk, server monitoring/maintenance, and network monitoring/maintenance to a third party.  I made the cut as they plan to shift me to work on project initiatives and my boss made the cut as he is highly involved in the operations.

This is not a small task.  We have been having at least a one hour meeting every other day, sometimes two two hour meetings a day about the transition and going over gaps.  The third party needs a lot of information about our infrastructure, applications and client installers, processes, responsibilities, frequently encountered issues, and organizational hierarchy.  As it turns out, about 10% of this is actually documented and we are required to write and supply documentation of the other 90% before we "go live" with the third party, which is happening this week for a few of our smaller offices.  Our bigger offices are switching over in a couple weeks.  Also, it isn't simply just documenting all the stuff we have and do; in a lot of cases it is totally rethinking it.  For instance, since we won't have anyone left to do deskside visits, onsite computer repairs, and imaging, we had to come up with solutions for when people have physically broken computers that the third party can't resolve remotely.

At the same time our Director of IT started losing sleep over the fact that one of our most important business applications could experience a catastrophic failure because the hardware it is running on is quite old and the disk arrays that house the data are the same as three others (out of five total) that have failed in the last six months.  Even though we back up the data, recovering from a catastrophic failure of the hardware that runs this application would take weeks.  So he decided we are going to put in place a "lifeboat" (a set of clones that we can switch to with a smaller amount of effort in the event of a failure) and a newer environment to work on upgrading the OS and various pieces of the software to the newest versions.  This alone is a massive undertaking.

To add to it, he is having us put it at a data center location that we rent space at monthly and stopped using almost entirely about a year ago.  This location was completely segregated from our network and had a firewall with all kinds of crazy insecure rules put in to support a big website environment that we got rid of about a year ago.  So we have to clean up the firewall and had to figure out a way to connect our office to the datacenter and implement it.  All without a real network engineer/Cisco expert.  To add to that he wants to utilize a VMware vSphere (ESXi) cluster and SANs, neither of which I had much experience with other than the light administrative tasks I've done with some others that we already have.  I'm glad to get the experience, but I don't like the fact that we are rushing headlong into it without adequate planning and testing.

To be fair to our Director of IT, both of these projects are good ideas (though I'm less thrilled about the former).  However it is fucking insane that we are doing these both at the same time!  To add to it, there are plans to move our office to another building either this summer or fall.  That is a pretty huge undertaking that requires a lot of planning to get right and I'm afraid we are going to finally be getting some slack time back from these other two projects and suddenly be presented with the office move with very little or no time for planning.

Keep in mind that I still have all my regular duties as 3rd tier helpdesk and server/network admin and also 80% of the duties of my former boss on top of all this other shit.

Fun.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
I have to wake up at 6:30 every morning for my job. That's not really a big deal but it's extremely hard to do when you're living in a house of university students and none of them have class until 11:00am.

My feeling exactly.  With wage slavery becoming the norm, I pity young people just getting into the workforce.

If we can manage to get into the work force. The unemployment rate among people under 25 is massive. The unemployment among people aged 16-24 in the U.S. is 21%. I don't remember the Canadian number but it's slightly higher than that. The amount of people I know who are just graduated and going to get their Masters, are teaching English abroad or are living with their parents and spending all their time volunteering because they can't find a job is massive.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 07:36:15 AM »
Update:  A month ago, I was surprised that our IT director painted such a big target on himself with the outsourcing project.  The potential for disaster short term is very large and he would get blamed.

However, now I am seeing something interesting.  Mr. super IT director is distancing himself from the outsourcing project.  He hasn't been in on any of the conference calls the past two weeks.  If you ask him about some aspect of the project, a lot of the time he will direct you to the project manager employed by the oursourcing company.

I have a feeling that if shit hits the fan, the director will basically blame us by saying he wasn't involved in the late stage planning and the (shitty) implementation is the result of me and my manager.  It wouldn't surprise me.  The guy is a snake.

The implementation so far is pretty shitty.  Lots of work still falls back on us without a lot of help since we laid everyone off.  But this is the direct result of doing two major projects at once.  If I could have focused all my non day-to-day task time on this outsourcing project, we would have had all the documentation ready and found all the gaps in the processes.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »
I have to wake up at 6:30 every morning for my job. That's not really a big deal but it's extremely hard to do when you're living in a house of university students and none of them have class until 11:00am.

If we can manage to get into the work force. The unemployment rate among people under 25 is massive. The unemployment among people aged 16-24 in the U.S. is 21%. I don't remember the Canadian number but it's slightly higher than that. The amount of people I know who are just graduated and going to get their Masters, are teaching English abroad or are living with their parents and spending all their time volunteering because they can't find a job is massive.

The real unemployment rate in this country is near Great Depression levels.  (There are 3 kinds of liars: liars, damned liars, and statistics.)  I'll illustrate by example.  I am not unemployed.  Aren't you happy for me?  I collect no unemployment compensation, and I haven't looked for a job in over 6 months.  Therefore, I'm not unemployed.  I am not part of the official number bandied about.  I'm sure you can multiply the number for young people just out of school by at least 2 as well.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 07:50:50 AM »
There are 3 kinds of liars: liars, damned liars, and statistics.

This.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »
The real unemployment rate in this country is near Great Depression levels.  (There are 3 kinds of liars: liars, damned liars, and statistics.)  I'll illustrate by example.  I am not unemployed.  Aren't you happy for me?  I collect no unemployment compensation, and I haven't looked for a job in over 6 months.  Therefore, I'm not unemployed.  I am not part of the official number bandied about.  I'm sure you can multiply the number for young people just out of school by at least 2 as well.

Yeah exactly. I'd love to see what the numbers look like when you look beyond those participating in the labour force.

Update:  A month ago, I was surprised that our IT director painted such a big target on himself with the outsourcing project.  The potential for disaster short term is very large and he would get blamed.

However, now I am seeing something interesting.  Mr. super IT director is distancing himself from the outsourcing project.  He hasn't been in on any of the conference calls the past two weeks.  If you ask him about some aspect of the project, a lot of the time he will direct you to the project manager employed by the oursourcing company.

I have a feeling that if shit hits the fan, the director will basically blame us by saying he wasn't involved in the late stage planning and the (shitty) implementation is the result of me and my manager.  It wouldn't surprise me.  The guy is a snake.

The implementation so far is pretty shitty.  Lots of work still falls back on us without a lot of help since we laid everyone off.  But this is the direct result of doing two major projects at once.  If I could have focused all my non day-to-day task time on this outsourcing project, we would have had all the documentation ready and found all the gaps in the processes.

So sequentially, the IT director lays off 75% of his workforce, gives the ones left two major projects to do simultaneously. A month later he realizes he's made a huge mistake so he positions the 25% left to take the blame? I see no way for that to backfire.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »
Not knowing the structure at Scott's workplace, I'd be inclined to guess the management will side with the director once the shit hits the fan. Why? Because he's in a position of authority and they always favor the dude they propped up. To do otherwise would question their own judgement and you can't have that.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
So sequentially, the IT director lays off 75% of his workforce, gives the ones left two major projects to do simultaneously. A month later he realizes he's made a huge mistake so he positions the 25% left to take the blame? I see no way for that to backfire.
Oh yeah.  I am pretty sure my manager is in full job hunt mode and I'm gearing up for that.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
Update:

We have an office in the UK.  As part of the data collection process for getting information to this outsourcing company so they can effectively support the users we discovered that we pretty much let the IT admin over there do his own thing and we really don't know much about the programs they use over there, the servers people use and what they do, the way the network is configured, etc.

Due to this the director of IT had been mulling over the idea of rescinding the pink slip for our UK IT employee and keeping him on, or maybe extending him six months.  I never heard if he made a decision one way or another.

Well, just Thursday I found out that the UK employee whose last day was supposed to be the last business day in April has found another job and will be leaving in two weeks.  He's forfeiting his severance, but this is because his new employer has agreed to give him a signing bonus that matches it.  We are so fucked.  Even if we found a resource that could come in Monday and start learning, there is no way they would be truly up-to-speed.  Also, the UK office wasn't scheduled to be outsourced until the third week of April, so this leaves them absent of any IT help for two weeks.

The director is working on a contingency plan, but it really doesn't matter.  This UK thing is a disaster no matter how quickly we act.

Also, I went out for drinks with my old boss who is still good friends with my current boss.  He said the director of IT and the director of operations (who the director of IT is under) have been "turning up the heat" on my boss.  They think that they are trying to get him to resign so they don't have to worry about severance or unemployment.

I can tell you that if my boss leaves before these major projects are complete and things are operating smoothly that things will go to hell in a handbasket real quick.  My boss is a manager, but he still does quite a bit of technical work as well.  Plus he works 60 hours a week.  I could see the director maybe picking up 20% of his daily work and trying to give me the rest.  Fuck that I already have been working at least 50 hours for the last four weeks.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
Your life is so dramatic.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 09:38:07 AM »
Does it seem that way?  It isn't really.  Last year Jennie had some friend that basically went psycho.  She had a very "high-school" mentality and it seemed every week there was something major going on.  It was really stressful and I was really glad when Jennie finally cut ties with her and our lives settled down.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 10:03:55 AM by scottws »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 10:01:20 AM »
Well not always, but just that last bit about the UK manager and your boss being pressured to quit is quite dramatic.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
Don't you love unorganized, short staffed, work environments? I had my best night last night, with a split section ( tables on opposite sides of the restaurant). The funniest thing is that I did so well because I got drunk on my break, let me do my thing.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, April 03, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »
Need to add some more things to the list:

1. Don't ask me stupid questions. When I say "stupid" questions, I mean don't ask me questions about something that are clearly on the menu. I hate when people ask me what comes with this or that when it's clearly stated on the menu you're holding and while you're pointing out the item to me. I'm not sure if it's stupidity or laziness...its annoying either way.

2. If you don't know what you want, either ask me for help or let me go while you decide. Don't have me stand there while you dick around with want you want to eat. Even if I'm not busy, it doesn't mean I want to stand around for ten minutes while you decide what you want, I swear I'll make you pay for it later.

3. This one doesn't bother me too much (I actually find it kinda funny), if you're going out with your father-in-law, please don't fight over the check. If someone tells me to give them the check, I give it to them (the first person that asks me). Even worse is when no one will take the check and I'm sitting there holding the book trying to pass it off to someone. Just take it from me, figure it out, but please take it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, April 03, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »
I looking at the North Carolina Employment Security Commission's website, and they have no option for "list all jobs in the specified area." It's retarded. I don't know wtf I want to do, I just want to look at the full list. I'm in the middle of fucking nowhere, there can't be THAT many jobs to sift through.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #36 on: Monday, April 04, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »
My job is incredible but I don't get paid nearly enough. Like, half of what I would anywhere else. I need to leave but it's tough because I love working there and have been there forever.

I guess that's me bitching about my job.