Author Topic: Online competitive multiplayer is fundamentally flawed  (Read 636 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Online competitive multiplayer is fundamentally flawed
« on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »
The problem I seem to run into with every online competitive game I play, is the fact that humans are involved. Humans are vile, disgusting, cutthroat bastards who will fuck anyone over for a slight edge or an easy win. cheating, exploiting glitches, unsportsmanlike behavior, etc.

Most recently, I'm talking about WoW arena matches, WoW battlegrounds, Modern Warfare 2, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2. And it's not losing that bothers me. I generally win more than I lost (except in MW2, not sure why), and can still have a lot of fun during a loss. It's when someone is behaving in a way that you'd punch them in the face if they were sitting nexto you, but you can't because they're some anonymous person on the internet. That kept splitscreen gaming in check, and it's gone when playing online.

I may just have to stick to coop games for multiplayer. That way you're still enjoying a game with friends, but you don't have random douchebags spawn camping or exploiting some glitch that will take the devs a couple months to fix. I just don't understand why people can't play a game to have fun, instead of turning into assholes.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Online competitive multiplayer is fundamentally flawed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
For this reason, I love single player games.

Of course, cheating's always been a problem for MP games...and probably unfortunately for the most part always will be. When there's a way around things, idiots will find them and exploit them.

God, there was TONS of cheating back in the day in Diablo. Lots of PK deaths even in towns...FOR some reason. Damn trainers.

There's been times even when doing CoOp before and I've seen cheating. Borderlands is a great example. I've seen players jump into my gamep-room w/ ridiculous leveled, guns when their character isn't nowhere leveled near there to equip such a strong weapon that can maybe shoot off 3 rockets and whatnot. Or they'll be talking about how awesome their guns are and drawing smiley-faces - so, you know they are cheating...

As fun as any sort of MP can be when there's NO cheating going on (Borderlands and L4D come to mind, when playing w/ friends who play legit), it's hard to really top consistency of SP - I take things at my pace and don't gotta worry about idiots getting in the way of trying to screw the experience up.