Author Topic: Mirror's Edge gameplay footage  (Read 9975 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Mirror's Edge gameplay footage
« on: Tuesday, May 06, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »
Gamevideos
YouTube

First person free running from DICE. Looks awesome.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Mirror's Edge gameplay footage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2008, 01:16:59 PM »
Yes, I agree.  There's an interview with the producer I noticed on the side.  It's not an open-world game.  He made that clear.  It seems to be, from the footage, but it isn't.  That makes me wonder if it's going to be a strictly linear path with cutscenes to move the story.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »
Yeah, I wondered a bit about that too.  I mean, a *game* is going to have to come out of this somewhere, and if it isn't open world, it'll be interesting to see how they do it.  I'm not sold on the idea, but I'm curious, and that footage is sexy indeed.  Enough to somewhat make me pay attention despite the game coming from EA and DICE, two companies I have rather little respect for.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2008, 01:34:48 PM »
Perhaps its almost like a racing game, where you need to get through the map quickly and smoothly with the fastest time.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 02:47:45 PM »
I know it's just demo footage, but the environments are pretty damn bland.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
I think its supposed to be that way, have a sparse "clean" look. The idea being those various bright colors all mean something as you play so they need to stand out. Guess we'll see as development continues and we learn more.

Speaking of this game, it was revealed today that this is running on Unreal Engine 3.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 05:57:28 PM »
This game does in fact look interesting...
...but if the new Securom comes attached to this thing, forget it until it's cheap or the protection's removed.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2008, 06:07:18 PM »
I think the idea is that you're a runner in some sort of Utopian police state (is that a paradox?) or something, hence the blandness.  Think Equilibrium.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, May 11, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »
I think the idea is that you're a runner in some sort of Utopian police state (is that a paradox?) or something, hence the blandness.  Think Equilibrium.

Never saw Equilibrium...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 11, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
Wow, you're missing out MyD.

The style of Mirror's Edge feels like a game made for me! I love the maneuvering in PoP and Assassin's Creed. I imagine M'sE will take it further.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 12, 2008, 12:14:07 AM »
It just says 'In-Game' footage...not game play. It might mean nothing, but knowing PR....

Either way, considering there is a scene with the player firing a gun without iron sites or cross hairs, I'd be willing to bet the final product is much more familiar, with a HUD and something more resembling game play we're used to.  Of course, I totally didn't watch the interview.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 12, 2008, 01:08:55 PM »
I could see it being a style thing. Perhaps they are going HUD-less? That would also exclude crosshairs. Perhaps the character isn't proficient with guns, so missing will happen. I don't think shooting is going to play a major roll in the game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Friday, June 06, 2008, 04:27:24 PM »
Story inspired by Firefly/Serenity.

As if you needed another reason to want this game.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 06, 2008, 07:21:04 PM by idolminds »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Friday, June 06, 2008, 05:08:05 PM »
Watching the trailer again is getting me more excited about this game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Friday, June 06, 2008, 05:35:37 PM »
Damn it.  People should stop making me think stuff is cool.  Thinking stuff is cool inevitably leads to money loss.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, June 07, 2008, 04:47:54 PM »
Story inspired by Firefly/Serenity.

As if you needed another reason to want this game.

Holy cow!
That trailer's outstanding.

This game looks like a must-buy, as long as nasty EA-supported DRM ain't involved.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Monday, July 21, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
Preview

Sounds great. Seems gunplay will be minimal since carrying a gun hinders your acrobatic movement and there are no ammo pickups (whatever is in the gun is all you will get to use). The up/down controls sound interesting. I cant wait to try it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 05:06:15 AM »
Preview

Sounds great. Seems gunplay will be minimal since carrying a gun hinders your acrobatic movement and there are no ammo pickups (whatever is in the gun is all you will get to use).
That's very interesting. I like the thought of that "change of pace" style of gameplay already, since so many games overthrow you with weapons, ammo, etc etc.

Quote from: Shacknews
As the game's sprawling levels provide many opportunities, the most obvious choices are painted red, a device developer EA DICE refers to as Runner Vision.

However, a company representative was quick to point out that Runner Vision only provides a general guide to the objective, and not the most efficient path. It can also be entirely disabled, if desired.
That's good that Runner Vision can be disabled and all. I'm sure not everybody wants to follow one linear route to get to their objective.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, August 31, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
This is a 5 min preview of Mirror's Edge from PAX 2008.
Looks pretty slick.

You can turn on or off Runner Vision in the game. Runner Vision, being that if you need help on where to go, objects in the game will turn RED to basically tell you "Go here" -- even though the game won't tell you what moves to use to get to that location; you're to figure that one out yourself.

There's something called Reaction Time that Faith can use in the game, too -- which basically is Bullet-Time (Slow-Motion).

You can find special-bags called Messenger Bags throughout the game, which will give you rewards later for finding them.

There will be Achievements for things such as "Finishing The Game Using No Weapons" and "Finishing The Game Without Killing Anybody."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »
Mirror's Edge: Remix Album Soundtrack will be let loose on Nov. 11, right alongside the console releases of the game for your downloading purposes.

Subscribe to Shacknews or visit our front page for the scoop on all of your favorite games on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii, and PC/Windows.
Mirror's Edge Soundtrack Features 'Still Alive,' Releasing in November
by Chris Faylor Oct 07, 2008 12:03pm CST tags: Mirrors Edge

A downloadable Mirror's Edge soundtrack will be released on November 11 alongside the impending parkour-inspired first-person action game, publisher EA has announced.

The soundtrack features Lisa Miskovsky's performance of "Still Alive," which was written by Rami Yacoub and Arnthor Birgisson and shares no resemblance to Jonathan Coulton's beloved Portal end song of the same name. The track list follows:

Mirror's Edge Remix Album

1. Lisa Miskovsky - Still Alive (Mirror's Edge Theme Song)
   2. Benny Benassi - Still Alive (Remix)
   3. Junkie XL - Still Alive (Remix)
   4. Paul van Dyk - Still Alive (Remix)
   5. Teddybears - Still Alive (Remix)
   6. Armand Van Helden - Still Alive (Remix)

No price point was announced for the album. Those that pre-order the game from Best Buy will receive a single CD featuring Miskovsky's "Still Alive" and the Benassi remix.

Developed by DICE, Mirror's Edge ships in PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 form on November 11, with the PC version following later in the winter .

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »
Video from TGS 2008 showing off Mirror's Edge.

In this video, it is mentioned there might be more Mirror's Edge games, along the way.
In fact, possibly a Mirror's Edge TRILOGY.

Mirror's Edge: The Trilogy?

[October 14, 2008, 8:36 pm ET] - Share - Viewing Comments

On Mirror's Edge has a detail we missed from the Mirror's Edge video interview on AusGamers mentioned here over the weekend (story). When asked about a sequel to the acrobatic action game DICE's Owen O'Brien indicates their current story is "kind of a trilogy" which just cover's Faith's story, while they feel the franchise is ripe for further expansion beyond a trilogy "to take the story in other directions." DICE is familiar with sequels as a steady stream of Battlefield games demonstrates, but of course the first game probably needs to succeed to justify follow-ups.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #22 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 11:24:24 AM »
Demo was released this week.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet -- I'll definitely be downloading it this weekend to give it a shot to see if it's a worthy purchase or not.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 11:42:50 AM »
Oh yeah.  PSN yesterday, XBL today.  Gotta try that.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:43:09 PM »
So this is interesting. It's basically a platformer played in the first person where combat is secondary... think Prince of Persia or Assassins Creed and you generally have an idea of how it will feel and what your capable of. Actually, think of a lot of Ubi Soft's stuff and you'll get the general idea of the vibe the game puts out. It works, but don't expect the flawless runthroughs that demos and videos showed. I suspect someone will get to that point, but you have the same problems in terms of judging distances and angle that you do with any 3rd person platformer. Probably even moreso because of the limited field of vision. You'll miss jumps, slide too soon, run into enemies and attempt to attack them too late. To Mirror's Edge credit, it does a remarkable job of filling in the control gaps and guessing what you were planning on doing in order make the game flow more naturally like Assassin's Creed or PoP.

I'm not totally sold yet. The game certainly looks cool and has it's moments, but I'm not entirely sure there's enough special there to make it great. If the character you meet during the demo are any indication, the game is trying a little too hard to be hip. Think characters from the Matrix, but them merge them with someone Apple would put in one of their ads. I'm making this judgment off of 30 seconds of interaction, but you could probably get that vibe from trailers and promotional material. I mentioned earlier that a lot of the game just feels like an Ubi Soft game out of the early 2000's (Prince of Persia, Beyond Good and Evil), but either that sort of thing played itself out a few years back or this feels a little less genuine.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 05:01:18 PM »
I played the demo today and I liked it.  I liked it enough to make me interested in buying it but I want to see how much content the reviewers says it has, a game that moves that quickly has me worried it will be too short to justify a full price.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 05:14:14 PM »
For a 3D platformer to be successful, it is imperative to be able to look down, preferably in a progressive manner with every hop.  That gives you the needed perspective to land every jump.  If the camera is fixed looking forward, it can't be good.  But I have yet to try this, so I reserve judgment until after.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 05:24:32 PM »
You can look around just fine. There is actually a good feeling of being able to look around just enough without changing your trajectory too much so looking down before a hop is possible.

Overall, it controls really well. Now that I've seen that, I think the setting and other stuff might actually be the main problems.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #28 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
I liked it.  Takes a little getting used to the controls and I kind of agree with you -- the setting isn't as interesting as I thought it would be.  Now, the demo is pretty short (training plus part of the first mission), but it seems that the game is purely focused on the platforming.  Combat is generally to be avoided, which I'm okay with, but judging some of the jumps and targeting is a little more difficult than I thought.  I missed several jumps trying to hit a ladder and trying to grab onto a pipeline... judging momentum will also take a little getting used to.

Depending on length and replayability (looks like leaderboards and time trial racing) it could be a decent game.  I hope the missions are more varied and the story is good.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 09:42:30 PM »
I played through the demo again to show Aimee and I came away feeling a lot better than I did the first time. Maybe it was because I just jumped right in and ran like there was no tomorrow. This isn't a game meant to be taken slow. While I didn't go slowly the first time through, the added benefit of being better with the controls and a familiarity with the gamespace made it much more enjoyable. In a lot of ways it reaffirmed my hopes in the game in that it made the game itself that much more fun. Story and setting problems can be secondary concerns if the game plays as well as it came off this time.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 11:47:24 PM »
Except for the sometimes ugly frame rate (30 Hz, king of jitter on 60-Hz displays) I was impressed by what I was seeing and doing.  Playing through it again is probably a good idea.  I felt fairly inept most of the time, but when things worked, I was very much into it.  I couldn't figure out how not to get killed after handing over the bag, and that's where I quit.  I was just too tired.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: Friday, October 31, 2008, 11:59:26 PM »
I never noticed frame chugs. You're on a 360, right? Maybe the 360 got the lesser version this time around?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, November 01, 2008, 12:05:47 AM »
This is a game in which I am a little wary of trusting the demo - much like Assasians Creed. You can be drawn in by the gameplay at first, but is it worth the purchase? I read great things about AC on here but, honestly, I was bored after a few hours.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, November 01, 2008, 12:26:35 AM »
Except for the sometimes ugly frame rate (30 Hz, king of jitter on 60-Hz displays) I was impressed by what I was seeing and doing.  Playing through it again is probably a good idea.  I felt fairly inept most of the time, but when things worked, I was very much into it.  I couldn't figure out how not to get killed after handing over the bag, and that's where I quit.  I was just too tired.

(click to show/hide)

And I loved Assassin's Creed.  It is a repetitive game and there is little to no replay value.  But the world, the characters, and the story drew me in and I loved it.

If Mirror's Edge has some replay (seems like it will with time trial racing), an interesting world and story, I can see it being a worthy purchase.  Definitely going to wait for some reviews though.  But like Assassin's Creed, take it with a grain of salt -- it's a 'different' game and not for everyone.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, November 01, 2008, 12:34:32 AM »
Don't get me wrong - I liked Assasians Creed. I just thought it lacked depth.

From what I've seen of Mirrors Edge it seems more physical, if that's possible. Maybe that gives it staying power. Ill reserve judgement until I play it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, November 01, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »
I never noticed frame chugs. You're on a 360, right? Maybe the 360 got the lesser version this time around?

No chugging.  A perfectly stable vsynched 30 fps.  And perfectly jittery because of the temporal aliasing.  The hardware refresh is exactly twice the software's, which means you see everything in two places, and not in a pleasant way.  It's particularly obvious on pans.  Stand still, look at the skyline, and spin around.

I used to bitch about this even at work.  I used to tell people that if we couldn't achieve 60 fps in what we were doing, we didn't want to go for 30, but some other number, lower or higher.  I did not win a lot of converts.

Since you're on the PS3, I can only assume the frame rate is the same.  30 fps is unmistakable to me.  I've been into animation on video displays most of my adult life.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 04:53:56 AM »
No chugging.  A perfectly stable vsynched 30 fps.  And perfectly jittery because of the temporal aliasing.  The hardware refresh is exactly twice the software's, which means you see everything in two places, and not in a pleasant way.  It's particularly obvious on pans.  Stand still, look at the skyline, and spin around.

I used to bitch about this even at work.  I used to tell people that if we couldn't achieve 60 fps in what we were doing, we didn't want to go for 30, but some other number, lower or higher.  I did not win a lot of converts.

Since you're on the PS3, I can only assume the frame rate is the same.  30 fps is unmistakable to me.  I've been into animation on video displays most of my adult life.

I kind of get what you're saying, but at the same time don't.  The area you lost me is where you said "lower or higher".  So, basically, 20 or 40 would avoid the duality you're talking about?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, November 02, 2008, 12:59:11 PM »
There is only one correct frame rate, ever: the vertical refresh rate of the display, with software-generated frame updates synchronized to the hardware's blanking interval.  Anything lower is a significantly inferior compromise.  (Anything higher is impossible with vsync, and a waste without.)  Given that the quality of each frame has been pushed beyond the ability to display 60 of them per second on HDTVs, settling for 30 of them instead is the natural compromise.  30 is the highest integral fraction of 60.  Miss one vertical blank, display the next, repeat.  The problem is that it produces the worst possible jitter artifact.  That's because the screen is strobing in your face twice for every motion update.  As your eye tries to follow the motion, it appears to vibrate back and forth.  Your eye is scanning across the screen smoothly, locked on whatever moving feature interests you, be it text you're trying to read as it scrolls by, or a pretty picture, whatever.  But the frame updates are not in sync with your panning gaze.  (This is such a bitch to explain.)  The motion freezes in place half the time, causing what you're trying to look at to be in the wrong place half the time.

A higher frame rate is of course preferable.  But even a slightly lower frame rate is preferrable (though not by much, since once you get below 24 or so, there aren't enough updates for convincing motion).  Either way, you'll get more stable looking display on pans, less fatigue, less headaches.  40 is better.  25 is better.  Even if you have to drop the vsync.  60 is best by far, but tell that to the static-screenshot whores.

Edit:  Ironically, an older-tech LCD display, with slower response LCDs, would make 30 fps look better.  You'll get streaking or blurring instead of jittering.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, November 09, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »
PS3 Review
9.0 from CVG

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »
8.3 from Gametrailers
7.3 from IGN
7.0 from Gamespot

Reviews are trickling in.  Complaints about the game are all the same across the board though -- the story and the cutscenes feel out of place and the game feels like trial and error until you get it right.  The campaign is also short at about 6-7 hours. 

To me, the replay appears to be in replaying the levels for the best times possible.  That could extend the life of the game quite a bit, or it might be boring for some.

Clearly not a game for everyone -- I'm still undecided about this, though I am leaning towards getting it, some time down the line.