Author Topic: Dead Space PC giveaway  (Read 13167 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Dead Space PC giveaway
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »
The vsync definitely has an effect. I tested with and without, and there is a noticeable change. With vsync switched off the menu mouse is a lot better and more accurate, looking around is easier but still pretty slow so I bumped up the mouse sensitivity to max and it's more tolerable now. The aiming however is still limited to an extent.

Aside from the technical control problems the game is decent. I have also noticed that I can't take the stress. I can only play it for 15 minutes at a time. I get so immersed that the pressure of being surrounded by "things" gets to me and I have to quit.

I don't know if I messed with the settings or something, and I've been playing with a gamepad because it just kind of seems like one of those games, but I don't really notice it being slow at all anymore.  I should put the disclaimer here that I only ever use the mouse to aim when I think I'm about to get my ass kicked and for a certain section in Chapter 5 or so.  Shitty or not, it's still more precise than a stick.

And yeah, the game is really tense rather than scary.  Certainly one of the better survival horror games I've played though.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: Sunday, November 23, 2008, 03:17:13 AM »
Ok, I lied.  I finished it after getting home from the bar tonight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #82 on: Friday, August 28, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
So far, so cool (the game itself) -- got Dead Space on the PC, of course.

One thing -- who the fuck in the design department came up w/ the idea of binding WSAD to movement controls AND NOT allowing me to configure The Cursors (Up, Down, Left, Right) for alternative movement controls?

I can see it's b/c they got other separate controls for other Additional Controls that have Up, Down, Left, Right binded to it -- but what the fuck? I should be able to modify any controls I see fit to any sort of key-mapping scheme I so choose.

On another note -- this PC game plays perfectly fine w/ a 360 pad. Not only that, w/ the 360 pad plugged in -- all the game menus and tutorials tell you how to do stuff w/ the 360 pad.

EDIT:
Haven't been able to stop playing this thing. Freaking awesome, so far.

I really can see why SC: Conviction is taking -- well, what looks to be like some cues from Dead Space -- you know, give mission objectives, tutorials, in-game videos, and whatnot right in front of the game and blend it seamlessly into the game-world.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 28, 2009, 04:25:10 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, August 30, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »
Some MyD Screenies - taken in-game:

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, August 30, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »
It really was a cool game for what it tried to do.  Not the best ever, but it was solid and compelling enough to finish.  I went through it about 1 and a half times.  Never did finish my run on hard, though.  I've thought about picking it up again a couple of times... the violence is quite satisfying.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 12:11:56 AM »
Yeah, I really had a lot of fun with it - more so than most survival horror or action games. Those screens brought back a lot of 'good' memories of playing it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 02:49:45 PM »
Quote from: Que
The violence is quite satisfying.
To say the least, Que.
The violence in this game is awesome.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, October 07, 2009, 02:25:38 AM »
I just finished it up and came away with my expectations exceeded. Also for some reason I was expecting a short play through experience, I guess I got it confused with a lot of other single player games these days, but yea, finished it off at about over 12 hours. After reading through the thread I can vouch for all the praise its got. The attention to detail is what really stood out amongst everything else. The sci fi art of the environments on the ship, all the little effects like the lighting and even when at points the air was vacuumed out the color pallete change and the muffled sounds of empty space felt really convincing. I also really enjoyed the little objective based puzzles, as simple and easy as they were, it threw in a variety that made the pacing of the game feel interesting. Also like was said, the game is more tense than scary, though there were a number of spots that made me yell FUCK, plus the huge monster fights about got me to shit my pants by its sheer size and organically alive feel to them.

I think I'm gonna pick up Dead Space Extraction, light gun shooter it maybe, I hear it is a really great one at that, and worth checking out if your interested in the world itself.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 08:37:30 AM »
How the hell do I get through this puzzle in the Control Room?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 08:58:24 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »
You know, I don't remember how I did that.  Been too long.  But I do remember having some trouble there for a little while.  It's a bit tricky.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 11:29:56 AM »
I have no recollection of that area.  What chapter is it?  I stopped at chapter 7 for almost a year and started playing it again recently, but stopped at chapter 9 since other big games came out.  Once I run out of games to play I'll come back to this one. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »
I remember that you have to jump onto the globe and navigate your way to the outside of it. Be careful, if I recall correctly the rotating parts will shred you! You can use the stasis ability to slow them down, I think.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »
I have no recollection of that area.  What chapter is it?  I stopped at chapter 7 for almost a year and started playing it again recently, but stopped at chapter 9 since other big games came out. 

Chapter 7 - Into The Void.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #94 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 12:18:48 AM »
After starting this game way back in October of 2008, I finally finished it tonight, over a year later.  It definitely is a good game... it just couldn't hold my attention at the start.  I think this game suffers a bit in the story and narrative (which is kind of funny... the backstory is quite amazing with a full-length movie and a 6 part animated comic, but those offer a prelude to the events of the game, and the game itself doesn't bring anything more to the table from what was already established), so it lacks a driving force for you to explore and play.  The atmosphere and world are quite fully realized, the attention to detail is quite astounding, the gameplay is solid... everything is there, but the story really doesn't pick up until like... Chapter 10?  I mean, I was on Chapter 10 tonight and played through and finished it up in one sitting because the game really picked up the story and wanted to wrap things up.  The first 9 chapters end up dragging on because you're doing all these menial errands that don't seem to have any urgency to them.

For me, I think this game suffered the same problem I had with Bioshock.  It's a fantastic game, but the narrative and story don't have enough push to it to make me want to continue playing it, and other games that come along would easily derail me and then I forget about the game for months and months.

In the end, I got 14 hours of play time from it and enjoyed it, but there's definitely room for improvement in the sequel.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #95 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 12:26:48 AM »
Story is relative.  Both of those games had mysteries you were gradually getting clues to... that was more than sufficient to keep me interested in the potential revelations of the endgame.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #96 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 01:28:13 AM »
I think time might have been an issue for me as well.  I was playing WoW at the time so it was so easy to just put these games aside because of raiding and other shit from WoW.  Thankfully, now that I have quit WoW altogether, I can actually sit down and play through all of these games. 

In the end, Dead Space is a good game, and I am interested in the sequel, but it probably will not be a release day purchase.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #97 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 04:45:46 AM »
I've found sticking with this game to be a problem too (yes, I'm raiding a few days a week on WoW). I blame it on a combination of things that are not necessarily the game's fault:

1. Save points. They're far enough apart that you feel a sort of relief when you get to one. You know your progress up to that point is saved, and if you fuck up and die or whatever, you can always go back to that point. It also takes you just long enough to save that you have time to think about if you should keep playing or if you'll need to quit soon enough that you should just stop now.

2. Health packs and ammo pickups. I'm always paranoid that I'm gonna fuck up and take too much damage, need to use my health packs, and run out at some important time. And what if I run out of ammo, maybe right before a boss fight, and I either can't get back to a store or just don't have the money to buy more. If I revert to an old save, I've got to replay part of the level again and not fuck up.

When I add these together, I get an OCD type feeling in my brain that makes me want to save and quit every time I get to a save point and know that I'm in good supply of health and ammo. It's not like a huge burden or anything, but like a small itch I can't scratch. This is why I love when games have regenerating health and at least one weapon to fall back on with infinite ammo. It's not so much about making the game easier, as it is getting rid of the little things that make me feel like there's something wrong with my brain as I play.

By the way, I love everything else about the game. The violence, the backstory, the visual design, the sounds (I love the way Isaac sounds when he melees or stomps). It's just these few little gameplay things that when added together break something in my brain.